Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
Any tips for getting past the Wyverns guarding the nests at the entrance to the Hall of Echoes? My dragon gets blasted from all sides as I guide it to destroy the nests. Is it better to try to destroy the nests while dodging the attacking Wyverns or to try to eliminate the Wyverns and then clean out the nests?
I have tried both, without much success. So I appreciate any tips from anyone who has gotten past this choke point.
I have read that the final confrontation is tough enough, but I have to get past the nests first
Thanks, NM

Support
Support

What level are you? Have you finished everything else?

In general you should take out the nearby wyvern first, then the closest nest (perhaps use target lock and circle around while using Fire Breath), then clear out enough of the wyverns that you have time at least take a few shots at the next nest.

The shield spell helps, and you can make hit and run attacks and keep flying back to the start of the area. The summon spell should at least give you a bit of a distraction. Are you wearing the +40% hit point and offence armour, plus whatever will give you a boost to the spells you don't otherwise have maxed? Don't forget about the Dragon Dash ability, either; a short speed increase can help get you close to what you want to attack, or away from what wants to attack you.

You can return to the battle tower from the dragon sections of the Hall of Echoes, to get more potions or change equipment, but can not leave via the teleporter. Save before trying this, though, as a couple people had a glitch with the automatic transformation not triggering when they returned to the Hall of Echoes, so they were stuck (you can not manually transform).

In D2:ED I didn't have any problems on level 36. In DKS I ran into a glitch where the start of the Hall of Echoes was much more difficult than it should have been. On reloading a save the next day and re-entering, it was fine.

Another..Hall of Echoes question

From a topic describing my DKS playthrough (on nightmare)

I couldn't remember if you could unseal the door to the Hall of Echoes and complete that quest before actually entering, but I had a recent save, so tried that on the way back from the Gremory chest. It turns out you get the experience as you enter, so I decided to check out the Hall of Echoes, even though I had a couple minor things left to do.

In principle the changes to the memory eaters looked good, but the difficulty spike seemed insane. A Fire Sphere could only do about 5-10% damage, and unless they were at the far end of range, there was no way to avoid their seeking attacks. I started doing ok once by taking out the first couple nests and then circling around the area high up, but by the time I took out the first memory eater there were half a dozen more, making it impossible to survive.

After dying several times, I exited to the main menu rather than load a save, then decided to give it one more shot before I went to bed, so loaded the auto-save. The game seemingly changed the difficulty level (the setting remained on Nightmare) as this time the memory eaters were easy to defeat, attacks were relatively easy to avoid and the nests seemed slower spitting out opponents. I kept going when I was done, and the arena was also fairly easy.

The next day I reloaded the save at the Gremory chest, and double checked the difficulty setting, not wanting to make it through the Hall of Echoes only because the game decided to make it easier.

I returned to the battle tower and retrieved a couple pieces of dragon equipment from the chest, that had a shield skill bonus (and I put my 3 spare points into that skill), as well as the +40% defence bonus leggings (which I didn't end up needing). Earlier I removed all dragon equipment except for the Bone Dragon Cuirass (+40% hit points) and Bone Dragon Leggings (+40% offence) once I could max Firebreath, Fire Sphere, Dragon Spirit and Dragon Burst without the need for equipment spell bonuses.

I only had about 10 each of healing and rejuvenation potions, so farmed for enough ingredients to make a stack of each (while wearing my +3 Master Herbalist earrings, of course).

Returning to the Hall of Echoes, the memory eaters were tough, but not nearly as much as in my first attempt (the Dragon Shield spell also helped a bit). The killers could be killed with 2 (or sometimes 3) Fire Spheres, while the generals needed 3-5, depending on how much they healed; attacks at mid range (that I could see coming) could usually be avoided. Two memory eaters at a time were not too dangerous, especially if they were close together. Three increased the difficulty, and 4 started to make things quite dangerous.

Unlike D2:ED, it was ineffective to circle around nests while using target lock (and having a flaky target lock in DKS (the XBox version, at least) didn't help either). I found it best if there was a memory eater in the distance when going after a nest to try and sit on the opposite side while using Firebreath (to hopefully block any seeking attacks), then hightail it out of there to avoid taking too much damage from the memory eater if it got close (fly, heal, then turn and use Fire Sphere).

The arena was fairly challenging. In the previous play session (when the game made things easy) I didn't even summon my creature, and think I only needed 1 potion. This time combat became much more hectic, with more and tougher summoned minions, which required more potions and strategic running away tactics in a couple places. My creature even died, which hasn't happened very much when it started off a fight at full health.
I'm assuming the difficulty level when I first entered the Hall of Echoes was a glitch, and the second was how it was meant to be. I don't see how it would be possible to take out all the nests with Fire Sphere doing so little damage to the memory eaters (the nests didn't seem to be particularly resistant to Firebreath). I also had a problem the first time I encountered the large group below the Grand Knight teleporter shrine in the fjords, where opponents barely took any damage, especially at long range (the next day I loaded the same save and tried again, and they took normal damage).

N
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
I am level 34, close to leveling up, and I have finished all the quests up to now. I am already playing on easy mode, which is why I am level 34 at this point, I surmise.
I have upgraded the dragon armor as you suggested. I am able to get back to the throne room to heal up, but getting back into the battle area is right back into the frying pan, so to speak, so I just have to get synced into full combat mode against multiple wyverns. Hit and run may be it.

thank you for your help.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard