Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Zerael Offline OP
OP Offline
Reading Marius' thread about animal empathy, I remembered something I really enjoyed from past cRPGS games, that it seems to be fading to the homogeneization of the game development.

I'm sure there is people who does not like this, but I really enjoyed diplomatic and persuasive skill trees. For me it adds an interesting twist to character grow and customization. When it's well implemented, it could make the roleplay value much more enjoyable.

Of course, it is important that the system is well implemented; as I see it, it needs a "feeling" of effort for the player -wich way is this effort defined... well, that is something to discuss, I guess-. I rememeber, for example, how cool this was implemented in Fallout 2, or Dragon Age Origins.

Soooo, I would really appreciatte if Larian puts some kind of persuasive skills if the next stretch goal is reached!

stranger
stranger
I always liked diplomacy. There was anyways enough combat in these games, so more diplomacy cant be wrong. In DA:0 there were enough dialogs where you could use this skill so it was really rewarding to develop it.
I dont know why people should dislike it. They always were able to choose the non diplomatic way. And also all people I know agree that this was one of the things which made DA:O a rememberable game.
When the 650k stretchgoal is reached, this will be hopefully part of it.
Also i think this wouldnt require much changes. There are already diplomatic dialog optiont, they are just at the moment dependent on your basic stats.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I always value the option of not having to kill all that crosses your path.

Look it stands to reason...You can't eat 'cos you don't have a stomach!
journeyman
journeyman
Rod Lightning, you should try Age of Decadence if you haven't already then smile

veteran
veteran
Larian said that you will be able to avoid some combat by talking - but it will be impossible to avoid all combat because some enemies can't or won't talk to you.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah I played some of the beta. Pretty unforgiving game, man laugh

Although I haven't played that much so I can't really say all that much about it.

Look it stands to reason...You can't eat 'cos you don't have a stomach!
Zerael Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Emperor_of_Mars
I always liked diplomacy [...]

Yes, I hope so! I said that some people might not like it because that "auto-win" button issue. Not that I agree with that point of view, but I understand why they have problems with it.

That's the reason, by the way, for what I believe some effort in the form of "skill trees" or "point distribution" is needed to achieve a good persuasion system.

Originally Posted by Stabbey
Larian said that you will be able to avoid some combat by talking - but it will be impossible to avoid all combat because some enemies can't or won't talk to you.

I don't want that a persuasion system avoids all battles, but at least some of them. And not only battles... a good persuasion system should be implemented to obtain many different things ^_^

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
It'd be great to see some dialogue options you only get with high enough diplomacy. (Please let us know when we get dialogue options based on stats and skills)

stranger
stranger
I'd agree with this. I don't need the option to be a pacifist, but I do enjoy minimizing carnage on some playthroughs or, quite the opposite, using such a skill to cause more damage to enemy factions, by being a manipulative bastard.

On another note, anyone know whether there'll be an option to pass on a dialogue "battle"? I think there'll be a bunch of situations where you'd go "Oh, well, if you feel strongly about it I'll just let you win the argument this time".

It is by Caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of java that thoughts acquire speed, the fingers acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by Caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Zerael Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Edward Eldritch
I'd agree with this. I don't need the option to be a pacifist, but I do enjoy minimizing carnage on some playthroughs or, quite the opposite, using such a skill to cause more damage to enemy factions, by being a manipulative bastard.
[...]

I completely agree. That's the point of these talents/skills or whatever name you want to use.

Being able to achieve some critical objectives by your words, charisma, intimidation, etc, etc.

Some places in Dragon Age Origins, Neverwinter nights or Spiderweb games (specially geneforge) allow players to be extremely persuasive and manipulative.

Link Copied to Clipboard