I was just thinking about the role of your editor and mulling over some possible things that could really end up making your engine a highly sought after development tool for pretty much any type of style of game.

It would be interesting if you guys could develop themed art templates for your engine. Some of it would require licensing, but think of the vast projects that your engine would spur with such.

For instance, you could have a various AD&D themes (Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, etc...), Warhammer, Whitewolf, etc... where each template is filled with all of the art to design mods with that visual style and flavor. You could even branch out into non-fantasy themes or sci-fi (Futuristic, Steampunk, etc...), or just create generic templates of assets of your own themes.

It is one thing to be able to use a world editor, do some scripting, or design with preexisting assets, it is entirely another to create them from scratch. I think of it in terms of Legos. You provide the blocks of various size, shapes, and colors and people take that and build something with it.

No need to stop at art either. You could start designing functionality templates for the engine as well (adding new features of play), etc...

I think if you are going to support this engine, this may be a way to go and I know many would be very interested in purchasing such templates.

This would allow you to approach the business from two different angles. On one side, you continue to develop and make games as you envision (which may be inspired by what you see in the mod community) for the player and also support the development community with a similar concept as what I suggested. I think by doing such, it may snowball into something out of control (in a good way).

Anyway, just random thoughts.

Again, thanks for D:OS!

Last edited by Tanist; 05/07/14 03:56 PM.