Larian Studios
Posted By: Lar_q Another status update - 24/06/10 05:55 PM
So, just like that, it's done, at least, the German version is. We've got people happily playing what we call GMC2 - Gold Master Candidate 2 - and if nothing pops up - that's going to be the version that's going to go to the factory. As I already mentioned, I'm pretty happy about the end result, more than I was for div2, so I'm curious to see what the reception for Flames Of Vengeance will be. We'll do the big press announcement when the game really goes gold, which requires it to pass the last phases of testing (and age-rating), but there's a good sense of confidence that if it's not GMC2, then it will definitely be GMC3 that gets printed on disc.

I can hear our non-German fans sigh - why once again the German version first ?

The sigh is warranted as we didn't expect it to turn out that way, and actually hoped that we were going to have a simultaneous release, but unfortunately it turned out that way, though I have to say in the same breath that there are some fortunate bits in there too. The reason for a split release is pretty simple - different distributors in different territories were signed at different dates and have different marketing approaches and probably also different target audiences. I know we haven't announced yet who'll be doing the publishing and distribution of the other language versions, but that'll change pretty soon. We actually just signed the deals last week, so PR/Marketing need some time to warm up.

So what's the fortunate bit then ? Well, one part is that the game is going to be released in more languages that we had originally planned. Obviously, it requires more work on our side, but I'm glad that that's going to happen. The other bit I can't talk about yet, I think, due to a chain of non disclosure agreements. When I write I think it's because in a decade of Larian, we signed so many non disclosure agreements, some of them extremely limiting, that it's become very hard to remember what you can and what you can't talk about. But even if I could, it probably wouldn't be sensible of me, so I won't yet wink

Anyway, now that I broke that news, the thing about the split releases, let me spin a bit about the German version.

I think I'm not hurting the truth that in the past, many domestic releases through domestic publishers which were only later published outside of their territory sucked when it came to the amount of bugs, of which it is most likely that several were known up front. The responsible ones to be honest are usually the developers who slipped and weren't ready in time, and if a publisher risks getting into trouble because of the delay, they will usually release in the territories where they are the strongest to recuperate their investments as fast as possible. Personally, I never thought that a wise move, as I always thought it's better to ship when it's really ready, but as a developer, responsible for a delay, you're usually not in the strongest position to argue, so you do your best to limit the damage. I'm going to give you an elaborate example of this in a minute, but let me first talk a little bit more about Flames Of Vengeance and why I think this time around, the understandable and probably predictable comment "You are using Germany as a beta-testing country" isn't merited - knowing full well that my statement has a certain bias, and if the unexpected happens, I'll be forced to eat my words and walk the hall of shame wink

The main reason - we took our sweet time and managed to get away from external pressure for the development of this one. A dangerous thing in the mind of a lot of development managers around the world as developers tend to spend far more time than they should on their games (which is true) but we actually think ourselves that what we're offering you now is ready, and is a much better experience than div2 ever was. If it weren't for the reasons mentioned before, we'd happily release everywhere.

Obviously it helped that we built Flames Of Vengeance on a finished game, but still, one year for an expansion pack is pretty long, though then again, it's a pretty big expansion pack. Some games nowadays are shorter than Flames Of Vengeance on its own, let alone when playing it combined with div2.

Also, if required, our time to patch is going to be lot shorter this time, as we made sure that this time we can quickly react to anything that might go wrong. I really don't think it'll be necessary, but you never know. Did you know btw that for one of our games I once had to deal with the statement - "We don't do patches, our games are perfect" while these boards where being overloaded with messages of technical problems. The first patch for that game was actually "leaked" on purpose wink

So, to emphasize my previous point and give you a look behind the screens - here's a letter I once wrote to a development manager involved in :divdiv:. He had me convinced that if I argued well, I could gain a couple of extra months to polish the game and asked me to write a strong points/weak points summary. In reality the response I got was a letter from their lawyers that if I didn't finish by time X, they were going to ruin my company, ruin me personally, and make sure that whatever they forgot to mention they'd ruin, would be ruined too. This letter is actually what was in the back of my mind when I mentioned in my last status update that I wasn't so happy with :divdiv:.

Weak point/Strong point summary of Divine Divinity (I still hate the name and curse the one responsible)

Current weak points

Dialogs

While many bugs are present in these and they are being fixed, that’s not the main problem with them. A large degree of gameplay is to be had in a role playing game from the options you get in a dialog. In the quest to mix hack & slash with regular role playing, we probably oversimplified the available options in certain dialogs. This is not really visible in the demo area, where we think the mix is right, but later on in the game this is definitely an issue. The fixes for this are often rather simple, but complicated severely by the fact that the localizations are almost ready, and we need to maintain synchronisation between the three dialog base files (i.e. German, French and English). We have quite some tools in place to facilitate that, but a tool is just a tool, and given the enormous complexity/size of the dialogs in game, operating the tools/maintaining synchronization takes time. We are not to the level we wanted when it comes to the dialogs, though we could’ve been. One example that is present in the demo is the scene with the resurrected necromancer. The dialog there does not contain the richness that you would find in similar AAA games.

Savegame : Thelyron, click on the lever just in front of you, go to where the mummy appears and talk to him. There are no real options in the dialog, which is not such a good thing, but still acceptable in this particular situation. The fact that they stand still is just a bug.

Player expectation mismatches

Player expectation mismatches means that the designer of a certain quest/story scene designed something in a certain way, and that completing it in the way the designer intended it, feels “wrong” to the player. In general you want the player to “think” he’s smart while always making sure that whatever he tries, he’ll stumble into it. There are areas in the game where this is currently not the case, and this breaks the players gaming tempo, and causes unnecessary frustration. Another aspect of the same problem is that there are things in the game which don’t offer the gameplay value a player would expect from something. That’s a hard concept to describe, but an example should make that clear :

There is a small village on the first map which is quarantined because a mysterious plague broke out there. Upon coming closer to the area, the player sees a small scene where a certain Doctor Elrath chats with the guards. The guards ask him if he found the cause of the plague and he responds that he hasn’t yet. Control of the game jumps back to the player then. What is wrong with this scene is that the gates do not close, so the player can just walk in in the quarantined village. This is wrong, because if it is under quarantine, it should really be under quarantine. A player would subconsciously expect that he has to find a way to break in. At present this is not the case (though it is scheduled for fixing).

The next thing that is wrong in this particular quest is that when the player eventually finds a way in the quarantined village, there is no real reward for him. What he encounters is several people who are sick, and one meagre hint in the direction that it is strange that Doctor Elrath can just walk in without being sick. (The quest for which this is the setup has it that Doctor Elrath is actually poisoning the villagers). There is a well somewhere in that village through which the doctor distributes his poison, but nothing happens when the player gets near the well. Later on the player will discover that the well was the cause of them all getting sick, but what’s wrong here, is that figuring out that there’s something wrong about the well should be the “reward” for breaking into the village. Right now the player gains no real visible new knowledge by breaking into the quarantined village, though he would have expected something to be gained by the fact that he broke in. Not gaining that knowledge subconsciously decreases the immersion of the player.

I hope this makes some sense, as I realize it might sound a bit vague, but it definitely is a weak point. We became aware of this type of problem somewhat too late due to delayed QA feedback, and are fixing instances of this wherever we can. It is not the kind of thing a reviewer or player will spot as being a problem, but what he’ll say is “mmm…this was rather boring”, and that obviously is not a good thing. Actually, this type of problem is probably the thing we are currently spending the most time on, since the fixes are sometimes very simple, and can have a very big impact on the player’s gaming satisfaction.

No savegame available for the demo as this type of problem does not really appear in the demo.

Balancing

Currently not good, but getting better every day. This is by definition a task where plenty of QA is necessary, as the only way to get valid feedback is by checking over a large enough sample of gamers for comments like “Too hard, too easy”. The problem with Divinity is that it’s so large, and that you can do so many things, that there really are a lot of parameters affecting the balancing. Over the past few months we have made quite some radical changes to the engine to facilitate the balancing effort, and this has paid of tremendously, but the basic fact does remain that the more QA is available for balancing, the better the balancing is. We’re pretty confident that by march 15th we’ll have a good balance in the game, but I doubt it will be excellent.

Monster AI/Variation

This is a real pity. The game engine is capable of amazing feats of AI, but most of these have been deactivated for the time being, for the very simple reason that there were always more pressing issues. For the same reason, the thing which was always planned didn’t really happen – i.e. giving each monster a different behavior so that every encounter is more fun for the player. It’s not like there is no variation, but the engine is equipped with much more behavior features than are currently visible on screen. An example of this is the orcs. They are currently using the same AI routines as the skeletons. Given the capabilities of the engine, it is about 1 day of work to give them a drastically improved AI, and we do hope to be able to do so, but they are lower on the priority list because it’s not like the hack & slash isn’t fun. It just could be so much more fun.

Savegame “Orcs”: Just hack at them, they come straight for you, don’t really show intelligent behavior. You are artificially boosted.

Roofs

While you don’t even think about it after 5 minutes of playing the game (at least we never had a negative test report from the external testers), they would be cool. But we did put them lower on the priority list (cfr. Other mail) because of the problems they could cause, and the fact that other issues are more pressing.

Item generation

This actually falls under balancing, but right now the variation of generated items is not large enough

Skills

They are both a strong and weak point. Because of prioritisation, some of the visuals aren’t as nice as we would’ve liked and planned. But comparing to the competition, we don’t really have to blush. The main advantage you have in Divinity because of the hack and slash content is that at some point you get so much action going on on screen, that it just looks impressive, even if some of the skill effects are “subtle”.

Polishing

Prioritisation and cutting features were necessary because of the development delay incurred. Since we got into that road we will probably not be able to do what we really wanted to do – i.e. “Americanize“ the game. In our observations it is usually the case that American games feature a much higher degree of polishing than their European counterparts. That means that in general European games ship with bugs which were categorized as minor, whereas AAA games from American houses don’t have these. The main reason for this is financial constraints, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a pity. If you look at most reviews of US games, the word “polished” is something that is going to keep on popping up. We are doing our utter best to get rid of all the imperfections, but it’s clear that we will not manage to get rid of all of them in time.

Not enough voice

Given budget and scope, it’s impossible to have voice on every single dialog in the game, but it would definitely add a lot if this had been possible.

Game strong points

User interface

So far we’ve had over 100 external testers of all kinds (meaning it’s a mix between experienced players and people who’ve never touched a RPG) come by to test the game. To this point, we’ve not had to explain a single time how to operate the game. Given the complexity of the things you can do in Divine Divinity, we are rather proud of that aspect. There are still bugs in the interface, and some improvements we are adding, but in general the accessibility of the game can be considered to be a very strong point of the game.

Action

If we get the balancing right, and fix the remaining bugs, then we think the hack & slash portion of the game is at least of the same level of other games. While it might look simple on the surface, serving a decent portion of hack & slash is an incredible complex task, but we feel we’ve reached that design goal. As said, the only the thing that can stand in it’s way now is an issue of balancing.

Savegame “Thelyron 2”: Just right click like a madman to execute your special move, and drink lots of stamina potions (Note : You are artificially boosted to make things easier)

Interactivity and NPC reactions

I don’t think anybody will complain about the level of interactivity in Divinity. It’s usually the first thing people talk about after having played the game for several hours. The best example in the demo is the dwarf Otho, but there are plenty more.

Savegame “Otho”:

Take the herbs(Drudanai), Otho comes to complain and query you about what you are doing. Now follow him to his house. Click on the bones of his ancestor, Otho complains. Take one of the mugs of beer, drag it over the barrel. You just tapped a pint of beer. Open your statistics window, watch your intelligence and your strength, click on the pint of beer. Close the statistics plate, equip a weapon, walk outside, kill one of Otho’s pigs. Otho complains. Kill his second pig. While doing all of this, check the attitude meter for Otho.

Graphics

Opinions might differ, and while graphics are not “stunning”, we keep on getting reports from the testers that the game is so nice to look at. The same in the press – PC Zone UK for instance saying “It’s all very pretty”, or Power Unlimited (Dutch), “The gfx are gorgeous”. We strongly believe that when it comes to 2D RPG’s Divinity is one of the best looking games. While the comment “It’s not 3D” is a very easy one to make, judging from the gamers feedback, they don’t care whatsoever. I believe the release of the demo will set a lot straight there.

Sound

If we are getting positive feedback on the gfx, we are getting amazing feedback on the sound. While there are still bugs in the sound engine that we are fixing, having two sound engineers and one musician on the project since day one of development is paying off. Not everything is working 100% yet on the sound system, but when it will, the sound image will be very complete.

Skills and character development

One of the things testers like the most is the fact that they get total freedom in the way they develop their character. If this will be balanced 100% correctly, this will in the end probably be the thing that players like the most about Divinity.

Mix between hack and slash and role playing

This was from day one a big gamble, but seeing how everything is coming together, we believe this is working out very well. The demo on its own actually tells that entire tale. In the village, you have traditional exploration and role playing elements. Going into the catacombs, you get more than your share of hack and slash.

Humor

This is something a lot of testers mark as something they like a lot.

Savegame “Confused”: Just walk south.

Exploration and size

If there is one thing you can do in Divinity, then it is exploring. There are plenty of things for you to discover, and you usually get well rewarded for your exploration efforts. And while it has been the biggest development problem, the size of the world is something we believe will be well appreciated by gamers. If the last remaining problems are solved, then people who buy the game will be playing it for a long time. That should help with word of mouth.

Weak point/Good point summary

The game’s weak points are mainly caused by time/budget constraints, too aggressive cutting only to find out that some things shouldn’t have been cut in the first play and starting with QA too late. Dialogs, player expectation mismatches and balancing we consider the most important weak points, and are what we are spending the most time on. Frankly put – these must be fixed. If they are not fixed, the game risks missing its potential. The other weak points would be nice to see totally fixed, but given the situation and the close master date, that’s not feasible.

On the bright side, we’re now more than ever convinced that Divinity is very close to the point of being an AAA RPG which will be liked by many players. There might be a positive bias among the testers we are inviting, but to this point we have managed to convince the most sceptic of them just by letting them play the game and not saying a word. Already word of mouth is flooding our mailboxes with requests for being allowed to come and test, and if we can get Divinity the attention it deserves in the press, we think this game could do really good. We think that we can get the most important parts of the mentioned weak points fixed in time, but admittedly it’s going to be a close call.

Current development status

First some numbers. There are currently 553 bugs flagged as open on our internal bugzilla server (coming from 1392 at start of internal QA). There are 132 bugs flagged open on yours – out of 875 reported bugs. That gives a total of 685 bugs out of 2267 remaining open, meaning that in a period of two months and a half 1582 bugs were solved, or about 633 bugs per month. That’s not bad, but it could’ve been better with more detailed QA, since a lot of time was spent by the developers trying to reproduce several of these bugs. Our internal QA however is overloaded with work (4 full time testers, 5 externals a day), so they can’t perform any better than they already are.

As related in the document I gave you and Martin, the typical ratio of bugs for a RPG of this calibre is between 7000-10000 bugs (numbers taken from Diablo 2/Baldur’s Gate). Since QA for Divinity started up rather problematic and late, it is feasible to say that the amount of total bugs in the end will be lower than the average over BG/Diablo (by the time QA started, a lot were already fixed by developers doing their own testing) – and when those 685 are solved, the game will probably be ready for release, but not as polished as we would want it to be. That’s not saying it will not be polished enough, it’s just saying that we would have preferred a higher degree of polishing.

Among the bugs that really count (except for blockers,crashes etc…), we are treating the gameplay ones as the most important. That means we give priority to something like “I don’t understand this quest” or “this area is boring”. This latter type of bug is usually related to “player expectation mismatches” and “Dialog” issues which are mentioned in the beginning of this document. Those two together with the balancing, are what currently stand between Divinity and its release.

For reference, I’ve included the bug reports from our internal bugzilla server as a text file.

I'll talk about delays in a next status update and post a hilarious letter (in hindsight) I once wrote to a publisher that started with

"Without intervention, Divine Divinity is a project on the run. The non-linearity, the complexity and the scope of the project has proven to be too ambitious. As a result the schedule is suffering constant delays. The current estimate is that without any significant cuts, the project risks a delay of more than 4 months (in addition to its current delay of two months)"

But now I'm going to have something to eat,

Till next time
Posted By: DivineGamer Re: Another status update - 24/06/10 09:12 PM
Thanks but its all useless with no update on the console version?
I'm really anticipating it and hope it comes to Xbox.
Posted By: Raze Re: Another status update - 24/06/10 09:15 PM

I was hoping "I'll talk about delays in a next status update" would cover the Xbox version...
Posted By: DivineGamer Re: Another status update - 24/06/10 09:17 PM
Missed that part.
Lar I hope you do discuss the Xbox delay in the next update smile
Posted By: Libertarian Re: Another status update - 25/06/10 01:25 AM
Yes, I love and appreciate the updates, but I'd like to hear what's going on with an Xbox 360 version (specifically the North American release). Since it's not being released on XBL due to its size, will it still come out? And if so, will it come alone or will it come in a new packaged product with Divinity II: Ego Draconis? I'd prefer the former since I already own Divinity II: Ego Draconis.

Also, I'd recommend allowing console owners to play it without Divinity II: Ego Draconis, as many stores don't sell Divinity II: Ego Draconis here anymore, thus you're really limiting your potential sales of Divinity II: Flames of Vengeance by making it only compatible with copies of Divinity II: Ego Draconis.
Posted By: Raze Re: Another status update - 25/06/10 02:30 AM

It isn't a stand-alone expansion, so D2:ED is required for the add-on. There may be a re-release of D2:ED to coincide with the add-on, though, or possibly a bundle of some form.
Posted By: Panda X Re: Another status update - 25/06/10 03:38 AM
I was hoping for any update on the xbox version of FoV too.
Posted By: DeviRyuuD Re: Another status update - 25/06/10 07:07 AM
Like i did say in the previous Status Update, a good idea on selling the game would be similar to what Diablo 2 did with LoD. First they sold the Diablo 2 game, later they released a set of both Diablo 2 and LoD expansion, with added improvements to the original game, like resolutions for example. Divinity 2 Ego Draconis + Flames of Vengeance Expansion Set, that includes all the bug fixes + engine improvements from FoV to ED.
Just my 2 cents.
I have no doubt that the XBox version would work the same way.
Posted By: Joram Re: Another status update - 25/06/10 08:51 AM
Many thanks for the status update Lar_q wink

A question: have the last version (V 1.05A) of DD some fixes you mentioned you would it do better but there wasn't enough time?

I hope too there is coming up a disc-box for the Xbox with both: D2 + FoV together and D2 also more balanced as FoV. Or: FoV on disc with the code (or something) so I can free update my D2 Ego Draconis via Xbox Live.

That all will be very great! smile
Posted By: drazac Re: Another status update - 25/06/10 12:13 PM
I like when a developer shares his thoughts with the rest of the community
Posted By: Libertarian Re: Another status update - 25/06/10 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by Raze

It isn't a stand-alone expansion, so D2:ED is required for the add-on. There may be a re-release of D2:ED to coincide with the add-on, though, or possibly a bundle of some form.

I know, that's why I recommended that they rethink their strategy.
Posted By: DivineGamer Re: Another status update - 25/06/10 10:28 PM
You say not a lot of stores are selling Div 2 in America.
So wouldn't FOV bundled with Div 2 be better for business?
Since there putting more copies of Div 2 in stores along with the addon.

But I would also like a standalone Version.
For people who already own Div 2.
Posted By: Libertarian Re: Another status update - 26/06/10 04:22 AM
Originally Posted by DivineGamer

Well, what is the going rate for the standalone PC version of 'Flames of Vengeance'? Is it $29.99?

If so, an 'Ego Draconis' + 'Flames of Vengeance' pack would probably retail at $59.99. Even though it's a good value for all the content you're getting, I think selling a game like Divinity II on consoles at $59.99 is a hard sell. Hell, look at the recently released Deadly Premonition. It was $19.99 at release. It offered 20-25 hours of gameplay. And it happened to have an interesting story with a good cast of characters, and also some truly hilarious moments. It's not a $59.99 game and it shows. It has 'low budget' written all over it, but the game has achieved massive cult status and has garnered quite a large base of supporters. Had it been $59.99, however, I doubt many gamers would've given it a go.

If Larian could sell 'Flames of Vengeace' as a standalone experience on consoles at a $30 or less price, I think many people would be willing to give it a go. However, if they were to release another $59.99 pack, I fear that many gamers wouldn't try it out. North America is very crazy about AAA polish and mindblowing graphics, sadly. And they expect that when they shell out full price.
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Another status update - 26/06/10 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by Lar_q
In reality the response I got was a letter from their lawyers that if I didn't finish by time X, they were going to ruin my company, ruin me personally, and make sure that whatever they forgot to mention they'd ruin, would be ruined too.

In one of the Civ games, the Lawyer is - as far as I heard it - the actually strongest available unit within the game.

The rumor I heard was that they did install this most powerful unit after an encounter with Lawyers who wrote the makers of the game that it MUST NOT have the actual name of "Civilization".

I think the game was named "Alpha Centauri" afterwards.

Dunno if I recollect this correctly from my memory.

If I wanted to make a game where i could play a REALLY evil character, then it would have to be a lawyer. Something like in Monkey island 4.
Posted By: MysterD Re: Another status update - 26/06/10 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by Libertarian
Originally Posted by DivineGamer

Well, what is the going rate for the standalone PC version of 'Flames of Vengeance'? Is it $29.99?

I think most expansion-packs in the USA go for $30-40 USD.
I.e. Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening expansions retails for $40, pretty much.

If so, an 'Ego Draconis' + 'Flames of Vengeance' pack would probably retail at $59.99. Even though it's a good value for all the content you're getting, I think selling a game like Divinity II on consoles at $59.99 is a hard sell. Hell, look at the recently released Deadly Premonition. It was $19.99 at release. It offered 20-25 hours of gameplay. And it happened to have an interesting story with a good cast of characters, and also some truly hilarious moments. It's not a $59.99 game and it shows. It has 'low budget' written all over it, but the game has achieved massive cult status and has garnered quite a large base of supporters. Had it been $59.99, however, I doubt many gamers would've given it a go.

I do think it would be smart since FOV does require ED, that they do sell upon release:
Div 2: FOV expansion for ED owners who only need the expansion
and also a Div 2: Gold Edition [containing Div 2: ED + FOV] for those who missed ED and want both ED and FOV.

If Larian could sell 'Flames of Vengeace' as a standalone experience on consoles at a $30 or less price, I think many people would be willing to give it a go. However, if they were to release another $59.99 pack, I fear that many gamers wouldn't try it out. North America is very crazy about AAA polish and mindblowing graphics, sadly. And they expect that when they shell out full price.

I dunno how much FOV game-world integrates itself into ED game-world - but if the game-worlds are separate, I think it might be easier for FOV to just be sold as a stand-alone box, not requiring ED at all.
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Another status update - 26/06/10 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by MysterD
I dunno how much FOV game-world integrates itself into ED game-world - but if the game-worlds are separate, I think it might be easier for FOV to just be sold as a stand-alone box, not requiring ED at all.

But FOV is also kind of an overhaul, technically speaking (according to the FAQ), so everyone benefits from it.
Posted By: KnightPT Re: Another status update - 28/06/10 12:42 PM
Thanks for the interesting read. Kinda proves what we knew all along that in this industry publishers and developers are often not working towards the same goal.

Thankfully FOV didnt have so much time pressure to release and thus we can expect a much more polished work in the end to prove what Larian is capable of.

One thing that keeps going into my mind though:

If Divine divinity was for me one of the best RPGs ever made and had so much problems in release, i can't help but wonder what it could be if it was to be released as Larian wanted with no time restrains.

Posted By: Joram Re: Another status update - 28/06/10 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by KnightPT

One thing that keeps going into my mind though:

If Divine divinity was for me one of the best RPGs ever made and had so much problems in release, i can't help but wonder what it could be if it was to be released as Larian wanted with no time restrains.

Hi KnightPT,

Yes, good question, I wonder about this too !!
Posted By: Akatosh Re: Another status update - 03/07/10 04:03 AM
it is best if the major update comes out on xbox too cos alot of people that have PC may have a poor GPU so it intends to lag alot but the xbox 360 has almost very little to no lag at all cos the xbox is made for massive graphical games i recomend that it comes out on the xbox too and it will be good money for the people who made it and the people that have xbox would be very happy.

P.S sorry i have poor english so please excuse my bad english.
Posted By: rickrous Re: Another status update - 03/07/10 03:57 PM
I would REALLY like to know the status of the Xbox 360 version for the U.S. DON'T LEAVE US OOOOUUUUUUUTTTTT!
Posted By: rickrous Re: Another status update - 03/07/10 04:01 PM
NO it most certainly wouldn't. That would be the dumbest idea they could use. This is because the people that want the game more likely than not have already bought it, therefore they would have to buy a brand new game just to get F.O.V.
Posted By: jereth Re: Another status update - 05/07/10 05:54 PM
thanks for the info.. now do we uk gamers start storming you with pitchforks now or do we need an appointment :P

chomping at the bit for some new ed goodness #

hoping for a release date soon.

good luck
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Another status update - 06/07/10 02:02 PM
@Lar & The team : I bought myself the soundtrack CD to the movie "how to train your drafgon". A wholly different approach to dragons, eh ? wink

Another thought I recently had was that of Rhode/Rhoda - the great dragon huntress - actually becoming a dragon-knight, too ! delight Having to travel and fight together with the game's hero - even more banter ! delight
Posted By: LightningLockey Re: Another status update - 07/07/10 06:20 AM
I've yet to see the movie, How to Train Your Dragon, but it sounds like the dragons don't eat people, raise farm houses with their firey breath or are ridden by lizard men from the Black Ring to hunt down the Divine One.

Just doesn't sound like a movie for me to watch...
Posted By: Akatosh Re: Another status update - 07/07/10 06:28 AM
honestly when every man sees a cute blond girl they all start drolling.

On Topic:

there is another idea that can be added. i was thinking insted of useing the dragon stone you can use the morph stone to travel to the platforums make it more real plus the view of the whole area would be soo awesome and romantic... but thats not the point, the point is im trying to say is the flying range where you ascend into the air is too low i was thinking to make it more real you can go alot higher then ever before but of corse there is gona be a limit to that too all im just saying is increase the attitude range of the dragon to make it go higher and over the mountins and also there will be bosses in those ranges you have to face to calm over a certin area of the sky im not saying really powerful ones im thinking of dragons that had been cursed by hatred and revenge on foes such as damian who wants to take over there home area which of course is the sky also they bosses will have his own minions like the ground bosses which you have to fight to the top to find and destory the bosses and his fortess, thats right im talking about sky fortress that even damian has no idea where they are cos there soo high in the sky but low enough to the ground where you can breath air, high enough where the challenges take place in a massive sky battle and this can also be a mutliplayer part of the game they more enemys you kill the higher you clime into the ranking system and which only that tells you how powerful you become. theres of course player VS player sky battles it can even be one massive sky any one can join in and it turns into a giant blood bath which will get every ones drenillne working soo hard it will cos you to keep climeing the ranks in the game.

P.S oh my god this is alot to say but hey i think its worth it and dubble the fun even tripple
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Another status update - 07/07/10 09:51 AM
A few days ago I thought of something entirely different (and I'm SURE you'll laugh ! biggrin ) :

Everyone knows that I'm just - so to say - a "fan" of unicorns ...

So I thought . How about something entirely different . A hero could "morph" into a kind of Unicorn ... instead of a dragon ... I don't think boys would like to play this, but girls perhaps ... horse-related video games are quite a niche market, I think Radon Labs of Drakensang fame did one or two ... I have here installed one that's called "Sarah 2 : The secred of the unicorn foal" ... I think I actually managed to severely shock a few male customers in a Gamestop shop once where I bought it ... biggrin

So ... This kind of gmes exists. It's only a matter of the audience. nd i assume that boys and men rather like to play war-like things, themes and games, than something different. Just take a look t the kinds of games that are mainly played by male gamers ! If I look into any PC gming magazine, 95 % already are filled with games related to wars, shootings, strategy, explosions, killing, guns ... Even games like Civ are mainly played - I fear so - for the war-like prospect of them, rather not for developing cultures.

On tghe other hand, farming games like this one on Face Book which name I forgiot, are also insanely popular. Who had expected this ? No-one !

The problem is simply : will it sell ? The SIMs DO sell - and that although NO publisher wanted to publish it at first ! I can't help but assume that publishing companies were rather thinking : "This is a girl's game. It wouldn't sell on a male dominated platform that is the PC !".

it's a shame that such an enormously (already) big company like EA saw it through. They somehow realized there IS a base of female players - which usually no publisher admits to be there - or simply doesn't see, perhaps because their marketing people are male, too ?

In a recent scientific article about studies about stress with rats, a female (!) investigator found out that these stress-related studies were mainly performed by men, who "used" mal rats for study. Hence all of these studies were/became distorted, because female rats behave differently towards stress.

It's kind of like ... patriarchy still working on, silently.

And so is video gaming.

Posted By: Spartan717 Re: Another status update - 08/07/10 04:51 AM
Unicorns? No thanks, dragons suit me fine, and you are right though, no sane man/boy would play a unicorn game.
Posted By: Joram Re: Another status update - 08/07/10 08:10 AM
Hmm ... I'm a real man, but I like an unicorn too, like AlrikFassbauer.
I find it a mysterious animal ! But for in a game? I never played a game with unicorns ... so I CAN'T say I like a game with this animal,
but who knows .... ? wink
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Another status update - 08/07/10 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by Spartan717
Unicorns? No thanks, dragons suit me fine, and you are right though, no sane man/boy would play a unicorn game.

EXACTLY what I have predicted ! delight I KNEW this reaction would happen ! delight
Posted By: Lar_q Re: Another status update - 08/07/10 11:13 AM
And there you have it then - an X360 version is coming as well as something else for PC. Here's the announcement which is imminent:

"Today we are very happy to announce that this fall, Divinity II - The Dragon Knight Saga will be released.

Divinity II – The Dragon Knight Saga includes the complete and re-mastered adventure Divinity II - Ego Draconis , featuring new content and an improved engine, as well as the brand new adventure Divinity II - Flames of Vengeance , which will also be available seperately. Divinity II – The Dragon Knight Saga offers a total of over 60 hours of gameplay and more than 180 original quests that combine into a fantastic role playing experience.

Divinity II – The Dragon Knight Saga will be released in Europe in October 2010 on PC and Xbox 360. More details will be announced soon."

So, to avoid confusion - what we're planning on doing is :

Release Flames Of Vengenace seperately on PC
Release Ego Draconis (remastered heavily) together with Flames Of Vengeance on PC & X360 under the name The Dragon Knight Saga.

You can take that "remastered heavily" part seriously as we've literally redesigned almost all dragon parts, especially the flying fortresses, drastically changed loot/enemies and retouched quite some artwork. The net result is a much more streamlined experience that is a lot more fun (we think wink )

The international PC versions of FOV will be released simultanously with The Dragon Knight Saga whereas the German version of FOV is about to be declared gold, as in, next week I think.

Posted By: Dae Re: Another status update - 08/07/10 12:06 PM
Excellent News!

Any word on a North American release date for the 360?

Posted By: Joram Re: Another status update - 08/07/10 12:15 PM
Great news, thanks Lar_q !!

I go for .... The Dragon Knight Saga for my Xbox with the heavely remastered version of Ego Draconis delight !

My current Ego Draconis game on Xbox ... so far I understand I can't upgrade this version to the remastered one, so I think I take this as a recollection ... or give it for free to a friend ...

You say a total of over 60 hours of gameplay ... yes, certainly yes and for me at least double it!
And more if I try to play the whole Dragon Knight Saga on hardcore biggrin ... if I have time .... moooooore time and I have a Time-spell, I will make time :hihi:

Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Another status update - 08/07/10 12:45 PM
I have a question: The "remastered" part - is that included in FOV already ? Because about FOV it was said several times that it was "an overhaul", too.
Posted By: Lar_q Re: Another status update - 08/07/10 12:51 PM
Several engine improvements are part of FOV, but in The Dragon Knight Saga we also modified the actual content e.g.. a flying fortress in Ego Draconis is not the same flying fortress as in The Dragon Knight Saga.
Posted By: Joram Re: Another status update - 08/07/10 01:40 PM
I find the Flying Fortresses great fun ! Only one thing I find a minus: after a while a little boring ... but that's because I was already too strong for my opponents ... one Magic blast and they are gone to Hell and go pray in Hell by their chief to ask him to resurrect them back to the living creatures :hihi: ...

I'm very curious HOW big the changes are on the new heavely remastered version (but let me be curious, don't say too much! biggrin ) ... but so far I know the LarianStudios Team, I have all the confident in them they make it an even Moooooore Great adventure & challenge !!!

I up for a fantastic "newborn" Dragon Knight Saga laugh

Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Another status update - 08/07/10 02:22 PM
Oh, thanks for the information !
Posted By: spif2001 Re: Another status update - 08/07/10 05:10 PM
So there will be no Flames of Vengeance release for the Xbox 360, that will update my current Ego Draconis to the remastered version?

Will I at least get an xtra 1000 achievementt points for going through it again in the Saga version?

How many achievement points will Saga contain? 1000 for the remastered and something exstra for Vengeance, or only 1000 in total?
Posted By: Raze Re: Another status update - 08/07/10 05:59 PM

The saved games should be compatible, I would think, to load/import an ED save into DKS.
Posted By: DivineGamer Re: Another status update - 08/07/10 08:14 PM
So FOV On Xbox wont be standalone?
If not Its kind of disappointing.
Will the patch to add some Graphical enhancements still be released for consoles.

Still need to finish Div 2.
That'll be my task for summer.

October 2010 is the RPG Heaven this year.
I'll probably pick this up at the end of the year.

Newly Released Screenshots
Posted By: MysterD Re: Another status update - 08/07/10 10:33 PM
Several engine improvements are part of FOV, but in The Dragon Knight Saga we also modified the actual content e.g.. a flying fortress in Ego Draconis is not the same flying fortress as in The Dragon Knight Saga.

Looks like getting FOV is not the question here, b/c on the PC, you can buy it alone OR buy The Dragon Knight Saga Box.

So, if we already own Ego Draconis, will there be a free patch or some pay-DLC to patch it up to the Remastered Edition?

Or do you have to basically buy The Dragon Knight Saga re-release box set to get Ego Draconis - Remastered?
Posted By: Spartan717 Re: Another status update - 09/07/10 02:08 AM
So their basicly saying 360 owners have to re-buy their game. Thats a bit harsh, the new improvements had better be worth re-buying it.
Posted By: jereth Re: Another status update - 09/07/10 02:51 AM
And there you have it then - an X360 version is coming as well as something else for PC. Here's the announcement which is imminent:

"Today we are very happy to announce that this fall, Divinity II - The Dragon Knight Saga will be released.

Divinity II – The Dragon Knight Saga includes the complete and re-mastered adventure Divinity II - Ego Draconis , featuring new content and an improved engine, as well as the brand new adventure Divinity II - Flames of Vengeance

So, to avoid confusion - what we're planning on doing is :

Release Flames Of Vengenace seperately on PC
Release Ego Draconis (remastered heavily) together with Flames Of Vengeance on PC & X360 under the name The Dragon Knight Saga.

so i should just wait thell october buy the new one then ask you nicly...... ok sounds fine long as its not released on the 30th
Posted By: sonlockdon Re: Another status update - 09/07/10 03:14 AM
so in order to buy the add-on we have to buy the edited version of EGO DRACONIS[DRAGON KNIGHT SAGA]
? is this some way of making forced money, spartan mentioned you would have to re-buy the game, so is it a way to help you save money and make it at the same time?
Posted By: Spartan717 Re: Another status update - 09/07/10 04:22 AM
Couldn't they just have released Flames of Vengence and the patch on another disc for 360? Cause it kinda makes our purchase of Divinity 2 Ego Dragonis on 360 worthless.
Posted By: KnightPT Re: Another status update - 09/07/10 08:08 AM
A re-mastered version of Div2 seems realy realy nice, but i'm a little disapointed that in order to play it i need to buy the game again.

I know a patch will come to improve the graphical engine to the people who already own Div2, but that won't be all the changes in the newer version, and i'll always be gutted knowing there's a "better version" out there of one of my favorite games, and i can't play it (no, i dont like the idea too much of having 2 copies of the same game).

This is natural though, a lot of companies release GOTY editions or Directors' cut versions, but it always does sound like a scheme to earn a little more money from the fans, wich i dislike deeply.

Let's see how much it'll cost the new pack, i'll decide then if it's worth it compared to the FOV standalone smile

Posted By: Lar_q Re: Another status update - 09/07/10 08:45 AM
The problem is that Flames Of Vengeance is too large to release as DLC, and we couldn't get a disc with just Flames Of Vengeance distributed on the X360 platform for a variety of reasons, not all of them good ones. The only two solutions where either the one we picked with The Dragon Knight Saga or not releasing it on Xbox360 at all. From there one it became a no-brainer, but I can sympathize that it isn't cool for people who already own Divinity 2 on X360.
Posted By: Joram Re: Another status update - 09/07/10 09:00 AM
The problem is that Flames Of Vengeance is too large to release as DLC, and we couldn't get a disc with just Flames Of Vengeance distributed on the X360 platform for a variety of reasons, not all of them good ones. The only two solutions where either the one we picked with The Dragon Knight Saga or not releasing it on Xbox360 at all. From there one it became a no-brainer, but I can sympathize that it isn't cool for people who already own Divinity 2 on X360.

That's kind you sympathize with those people who have already D 2 on Xbox smile

I'm just happy there IS coming an Xbox-version at all !! delight
I would be very very sad and frusty and angry IF NO FoV comes on Xbox!!!

Now I'm hoping "The Dragon Knight Box" have some "Extra" for all the Xbox-players?
OR
the prize is not even higher than a averange new Xbox game? wink
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Another status update - 09/07/10 10:12 AM
"The Saga" box - I honestly don't know abot xbox prices - could be less than the main game - because it is kind of a "Gold" version of the game, like Gothic II Gold, for example, which also is the full game + the Add-On.

And "Gold" versions usually cost less. Just take a look at the "Platinum" version of The Witcher, which also costs less (and which is the first version of it I'm likely to buy).

"Gold" versions have a pro and a con :

- con : Should I rather wait until it gets released ?
- pro : it has EVERYTHING, then, plus perhaps a few tweaks (I'm speaking in general not just FOV-related)

The "con" point could make people rather wait and not buy the full main game.

So, any "Gold" version also has a tiny bit of risk in it.

Posted By: Joram Re: Another status update - 09/07/10 11:01 AM
Hi Alrik,

have you experiences with Gold box versions in the past?
I ask you it because of this:
have these "Gold" versions some EXTRA?
I mean : thinking about an item that is included in the Gold edition, for example a (big) poster!? A poster with the Dragon Knight Saga Logo on it or the logo of FoV or maybe a poster with some pictures of the "Artwork" (making of ... ) or ... a CD included (I can play in my cd-player also) with a "soundtrack" on?

That will be very great delight !!

The prize lesser than a averange Xbox game? ...
No problem ... I should wait, spare some extra goldcoins :hihi: ... and in octobre ... I hope I collect enough oops oops ... goldcoins ...
Posted By: Stabbey Re: Another status update - 09/07/10 01:23 PM
I'm assuming that the PC version of Flames of Vengeance will also make some changes to the base Ego Dragonis game, and I won't have to buy the Dragon Knight Saga for PC?
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Another status update - 09/07/10 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by Joram
Hi Alrik,

have you experiences with Gold box versions in the past?
I ask you it because of this:
have these "Gold" versions some EXTRA?

Aren't they common in yiour country ?

There are basically 2 kinds of "Collector's Editions :

1. the obne that comes out together with the first release of the game
2. the one that comes out when the product-lifecycle if dwindling rapifdly, other name : "Gold" Version

These "Gold" Versions like the one for Gothic 2 usually have more tweaking, are in general more polished, and in rare cases have additional material in them, like in Drakensang 1 Gold, which contains a few more items and a few more receipes (but not many).

"Gold" versions usually represent the last product at the end of a product life-cycle. It's the last, most bugfree and most polished thing, usually.
Posted By: ironcreed Re: Another status update - 09/07/10 04:36 PM
I'll gladly be buying it again for the updates and expansion. All I am waiting for is a US release date.
Posted By: Dae Re: Another status update - 10/07/10 03:39 AM
Im a bit confused, Lar_q posted that the release date in Europe will be October 2010, but the faq on the Flames of Vengeance website lists the release date in Germany as mid-August and the rest of the world as October 2010.

If I remember correctly, the faq only listed "summer 2010" as the release date about a week ago. So does that mean the release date for everywhere, including North America, is October 2010 or is there a typo somewhere?

Dae
Posted By: tpet2086 Re: Another status update - 10/07/10 05:24 AM
Oh well ,I would have picked this up at launch, but now you expect me to purchase the same game just for an expansion.NO WAY! Not with better games like Fallout New Vegas,Fable 3,and Arcania a gothic tale all coming out in the same month.I will just wait until I see this in a bargain bin , and Im sure that wont take to long.
Posted By: Robynah Re: Another status update - 10/07/10 05:41 AM
New Vegas has a better than even chance of being good.

Arcania will be crap. A JoWood 'Gothic' game without Piranha Bytes...

Fable 3 will be trash also. More of the same, only this time you can buy items ingame with real life money [exciting feature!!!].

- I can see why you're annoyed. But Larian don't really have a choice unless you actually want a cut down game. The expansion is too big for a console DLC.
Posted By: Dae Re: Another status update - 10/07/10 10:59 AM
I can see where youre coming from, starting in october, I am literally going to have to buy a new game every 2 weeks until march 2011 just because the developers decided to amass all their releases in Q4.

But if the changes are actually as dramatic as theyve been described, I really dont have a problem buying the Saga set, right along with New vegas, and the new assassins creed and red faction games.

Has the "remastered" version been fixed to address the statue problem in keara's fortress? Third play through and they still wont talk to me...id like to eventually fight her hahaha
Posted By: Darkhan Re: Another status update - 10/07/10 02:58 PM
Just wished I knew what the "dramatic" changes in the original were for Saga. Since I already own D2 (and thus supported the devs), I admit Saga leaves me torn. I could just buy FOV since I'm on PC.

D2:ED has been my favorite game this year, but would appreciate more details on the "changes".
Posted By: Raze Re: Another status update - 10/07/10 06:58 PM

One of the Larians stated some time ago that the next patch would include the fix for the missing statue text in the US release of the game, so that will be included in FoV/DKS. The clues they should give, as well as the solution (in a spoiler), are given in the topic below, so you can still name the statues.

Keara's statue names
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Another status update - 10/07/10 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Robynah
Arcania will be crap. A JoWood 'Gothic' game without Piranha Bytes...

Quite some prejudices you have, don't you ?

I doubt it will be a "Gothic" game, but it might very well be a good RPG nevertheless.
Posted By: ironcreed Re: Another status update - 10/07/10 11:11 PM
Agreed, Alrik. The game looks great to me. I'll be picking it up, and I'll be getting Two Worlds II as well.
Posted By: Spartan717 Re: Another status update - 11/07/10 03:38 AM
Are savegames from the original compatible with The Dragon Knight Saga?
Posted By: Dae Re: Another status update - 11/07/10 04:01 AM
I want to say ive seen this confirmed via forum posts. Anyhow, heres the question pasted from the FOV faq:

Can I continue playing with my character from Divinity II - Ego Draconis?

Yes. You can load any savegame you have from Divinity II - Ego Draconis and continue playing. When you reach the end of Divinity II - Ego Draconis, the story will automatically continue and your character will keep all of its stats, items and skills.

I think I might just start a new character in Ego Draconis and play through to tour the modifications to the first game. Im really curious in just how extensive the new version is.
Posted By: Spartan717 Re: Another status update - 11/07/10 05:15 AM
I must ask, how modified is the new version of Ego Dragonis and what are the major changes besides the new engine?
Posted By: Panda X Re: Another status update - 11/07/10 08:09 AM
I have never paid for the same game twice in all my years of gaming. But I might just make Divinity 2 the exception. Will the improvements on the xbox 360 be as drastic as they will be on the PC? Hopefully more so since, as much as I love the game, the xbox 360 version is terribly unpolished.
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Another status update - 11/07/10 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by Panda X
I have never paid for the same game twice in all my years of gaming.

I did so - a few times, but only for a a few HEAVILY reduced games.
It was mainly so because I found out that the last "low-budged version" of a game sometimes has the copy protection / disc check removed. Example : CAESAR III by Impressions.

Posted By: paro Re: Another status update - 11/07/10 10:51 PM
plz tell me something am i going to have to buy a new game for all this updates and the add on or can i still use my divinity 2 ego draconic game disc and download a dlc or buy a disk and install it????
Posted By: Raze Re: Another status update - 12/07/10 12:02 AM

There will be a patch released for D2:ED with some/most of the engine updates and, of course, the bug fixes, etc. FoV will be released separately for the PC. With the Xbox version, FoV is too large for DLC, and Larian could not get it distributed as a separate disk, so it will only be available as part of the DKS release.
Posted By: Spartan717 Re: Another status update - 12/07/10 07:59 AM
Will the patch be for the Xbox 360 version also?
Posted By: Dae Re: Another status update - 12/07/10 09:34 AM
From what I have gathered from this thread and the FOV faq, the patch will only be available for the PC version of the Ego Draconis, along with the FOV addon.

Since FOV is too large to be distributed as DLC, the new, patched version of Ego Draconis and the Flames of Vengeance addon will be only sold together as the Dragon Knight Saga for Xbox 360 users.
Posted By: Farflame Re: Another status update - 12/07/10 09:52 AM
I stumbled upon info that Focus Home Interactive is publisher of Dragon Knight Saga and not dtp. Does it mean that Larian is now developing for Focus and both DK Saga and separate FOV will be published by Focus?
Posted By: Damar Stiehl Re: Another status update - 12/07/10 03:11 PM
I hate to say this, but all the more reason to play RPGs on PC, not console...
Posted By: Dae Re: Another status update - 12/07/10 06:53 PM
I used to feel the same way, but eventually I got tired of having to upgrade my graphics card, ram or motherboard and spending hundreds of dollars just so that I could play the biggest and baddest new games.

Its just so much easier and cheaper to use a console because it allows the developers to build their games with the capabilities of the machine in mind, rather than having to build a game capable of being run on the majority of pc's. IMO, games built for consoles can be finer tuned than games which have to cover a base of pc's which will have very different components.
Posted By: Raze Re: Another status update - 12/07/10 07:37 PM

Actually, the patch should be released on Xbox, as well (especially since non-US releases didn't get the 1.03 update). The D2:ED patch and FoV were intended to be released separately from the start (though of course FoV would also include the changes in the patch), so not being able to release FoV as DLC doesn't mean the patch would have to be canceled.
Posted By: LightningLockey Re: Another status update - 13/07/10 07:42 AM
They will upgrade the current XBox version. Their most devoted customers are the ones that bought the original version and it be beyond foolishness to "stick them" with the older version and make them buy DK Saga.

The problem with Console games is that after buying an Xbox 360, Wii, PlayStation 3, Nintendo DS and finally the PSP might as well stick to a computer. There are games I'd like to play on all those systems. I'll gladly upgrade a PC every 3 years and most likely sell off the old one in a want ad.

I agree that console games are more fine tuned and less of a compatibility issue... but just too damn many to have to get to purchase to play all the different games. The previous generation of console systems burned me out... just killed my wallet too much and this generation? *makes a sound that your not too sure what it is, but doesn't sound anything pleasant*
Posted By: Joram Re: Another status update - 13/07/10 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by Dae
I used to feel the same way, but eventually I got tired of having to upgrade my graphics card, ram or motherboard and spending hundreds of dollars just so that I could play the biggest and baddest new games.

Its just so much easier and cheaper to use a console because it allows the developers to build their games with the capabilities of the machine in mind, rather than having to build a game capable of being run on the majority of pc's. IMO, games built for consoles can be finer tuned than games which have to cover a base of pc's which will have very different components.

I also got tired of having to upgrade my computer !

When I first heard Larian brings Ego Draconis out on Xbox, I bought a Xbox :hihi: ... so I have no problems with upgrading my pc!
And I'm happy I did it this way! I haven't had no big problems at all with my game on Xbox (Europe version).

And I agree with Dae about the pro's with a console.
Okay, a pc have also benefits, like more quickslots with the F-keys ... and if you have the best of the best pc (but for how long???), the graphics are mostly better than on console ...
Posted By: DivineGamer Re: Another status update - 13/07/10 07:06 PM

Actually, the patch should be released on Xbox, as well (especially since non-US releases didn't get the 1.03 update). The D2:ED patch and FoV were intended to be released separately from the start (though of course FoV would also include the changes in the patch), so not being able to release FoV as DLC doesn't mean the patch would have to be canceled.

I hope they do.
They promised the 1.03 patch and we never received it.
And since FOV will be bundle with ED it looks less likely.
But we'll see.
Posted By: Libertarian Re: Another status update - 14/07/10 02:05 AM
Arcania: Gothic IV, Two Worlds II (supposedly just got pushed from September), and Fallout: New Vegas are all set for an October release. Now we have this also coming in October. My question is, have RPG developers gone completely mad? We get nothing for so long, then they all bombard us at one time.
Posted By: Dae Re: Another status update - 14/07/10 02:49 AM
I guess you could always buy em as you play em. Maybe by the time you hit the 3rd or 4th game, the price will have been marked down. wink

Posted By: Libertarian Re: Another status update - 14/07/10 03:21 AM
Originally Posted by Dae
I guess you could always buy em as you play em. Maybe by the time you hit the 3rd or 4th game, the price will have been marked down. wink

I'm talking more about the business side. I can actually afford them all since I have them on pre-order (except for The Dragon Knight Saga, which has yet to receive a listing on most shops), but most people can't. Clogging up the system with games in the same genre isn't such a good idea. Everyone will fall victim to New Vegas.
Posted By: Dae Re: Another status update - 14/07/10 05:44 AM
Aye, New Vegas will be a hit if it can manage to live up to whats expected of it after fallout 3 and its' dlc.

I dont know what to say about all the similar release dates, though it does seem that wouldnt be the best thing for profits...and i vote we change the topic before someone important decides a december release of DKS would be better than an october one hahaha
Posted By: Lar_q Re: Another status update - 14/07/10 06:47 AM
>> Now we have this also coming in October. My question is, have RPG developers gone completely mad? We get nothing for so long, then they all bombard us at one time.<<

You know, that's actually spot on - of all things, this was the kind of thing we were trying to avoid and now we find ourselves in exactly the same position again as last year, with plenty of RPGs coming out at the same time. It's remarkable because when you look at what the original release dates were for all of these RPGS, it wasn't planned like that. The ratio for the October releases most likely is a result of "Ok, you need more time, we understand that, but you can't miss October or we'll have to shift it to next year. October is really where we draw the line" types of discussions.
Posted By: Lar_q Re: Another status update - 14/07/10 06:50 AM
>>stumbled upon info that Focus Home Interactive is publisher of Dragon Knight Saga and not dtp. Does it mean that Larian is now developing for Focus and both DK Saga and separate FOV will be published by Focus? <<

The distribution picture currently looks like this:

English, French, Spanish, Italian versions - Focus in Europe
German version - DTP in Germany, Switzerland and Austria
US version - TBA
Other territories - TBA

Posted By: Dae Re: Another status update - 14/07/10 08:53 AM
I do wonder if cdv will end up being the publisher for the US again.
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Another status update - 14/07/10 10:08 AM
Is it true that CDV US is the last remaining branch of CDV ? I heard that CDV Germany (the mother company) went into insolvency ?
Posted By: Lord Narcudrac Re: Another status update - 14/07/10 10:29 AM
i hate cdv, bye XD
Posted By: Libertarian Re: Another status update - 14/07/10 05:38 PM
>> Now we have this also coming in October. My question is, have RPG developers gone completely mad? We get nothing for so long, then they all bombard us at one time.<<

You know, that's actually spot on - of all things, this was the kind of thing we were trying to avoid and now we find ourselves in exactly the same position again as last year, with plenty of RPGs coming out at the same time. It's remarkable because when you look at what the original release dates were for all of these RPGS, it wasn't planned like that. The ratio for the October releases most likely is a result of "Ok, you need more time, we understand that, but you can't miss October or we'll have to shift it to next year. October is really where we draw the line" types of discussions.

I know, it happens every single year. Dates are always slipping. As a gamer, though, it's actually a bit disheartening. These are all games I want to dedicate time to, but it'll take so long to finish them all. Maybe developers are trying to get away from Halo in September and Call of Duty in November. But I know that it works out like this almost every year. I wait so long for some RPGs, then they all end up releasing near the same time -- or they just end up being delayed until near the end of the fiscal year.

I feel for you guys as developers. In October alone, we have Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga, Arcania: Gothic IV, Two Worlds II, Fallout: New Vegas, True Crime: Hong Kong (which also just got pushed back from September), Enslaved, and Vanquish. I'm sure there are more, but that's currently the titles I have preordered (save for your title, which hasn't received a listing at my shop yet).

But hey, if we know anything about how this industry works, then many of those titles in October could end up slipping, especially Gothic IV and Two Worlds II.

Anyways, I wish you folks luck. You seem like a good group of developers and you deserve to be successful.
Posted By: jereth Re: Another status update - 14/07/10 06:14 PM
slightly more technical question as lar_q seems to be more then a hired mod and who knows may actually work in the mystical place dragon knights ( and slayers ) are formed

im upgrading my pc after poor proformence with ed frown great game my machine was too weak.

what is running it at top spec from your testing lab

and if you cant say should a 5870? from ati with 12gig ram run it at max spec ?

reason 101 for not typeing while sedated. i thought this was lynn post frown
ah well my question still stand sorry to imply lar_q wasnt who he is
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Another status update - 14/07/10 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by jereth
as lar_q seems to be more then a hired mod

[Linked Image]

Posted By: jereth Re: Another status update - 15/07/10 02:00 AM
so if the owner under lar_qs name im guessing hes Swen ?
Posted By: Spartan717 Re: Another status update - 15/07/10 03:29 AM
I don't know why nearly everyone complains about having to upgrade computers. I got one years back and I think only upgraded it once or twice. Since then I always put the graphics to the highest possible setting and havn't needed to upgrade since. I can play Crysis on high settings with literally no lag. Even then, console games provide a unique feeling and the controls are somewhat simpler, but for now PC games have better graphics and are more powerful than their console counterparts.
Posted By: jereth Re: Another status update - 15/07/10 03:40 AM
yea i do most gaming on ps3 these days, but for a smooth run ill upgrade my rig its id rather know what there running so i can match without worry rather then over strain my mimited resources
Posted By: Akatosh Re: Another status update - 15/07/10 06:29 AM
just one question one bazar question. do we finely get to wear damians armor in this new upcomming huge update?
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Another status update - 15/07/10 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by jereth
so if the owner under lar_qs name im guessing hes Swen ?

I think so, yes. smile
Posted By: Lar_q Re: Another status update - 15/07/10 11:32 AM
I consider myself a hired mod so no worries there wink

Anyway - we actually don't really have a system that can run the game on extreme settings - we included it for future systems figuring the game was still going to be played a couple of years after release.

Almost everybody here is playing the game on high settings on relatively modest specs - Window XP,dual core, 4GB, Geforce 8800 systems.
Posted By: Dae Re: Another status update - 15/07/10 12:01 PM
I don't know why nearly everyone complains about having to upgrade computers. I got one years back and I think only upgraded it once or twice.

Well, I complain because I come from a family that never replaces stuff unless absolutely necessary. Heck, im using a laptop built in 99' to post this...love that sony lol.
Posted By: Stabbey Re: Another status update - 15/07/10 06:57 PM
I consider myself a hired mod so no worries there wink

Anyway - we actually don't really have a system that can run the game on extreme settings - we included it for future systems figuring the game was still going to be played a couple of years after release.

That's quite a clever idea.

Can you give a sneak peek at what changes FoV makes to the areas in vanilla game (assuming there are some)? Like is there now an NPC in Broken Valley who can retrain your skills?
Posted By: Uyuyuy Re: Another status update - 15/07/10 10:02 PM
IDK but i think is just an excuse to sell the game again....Oblivion had big DLC's and were sold via DLC or expansion disk. Don't get me wrong , i love D2 and i'll buy the new version ; but i really feel i am getting cheated when the devs say that the expansion is so big that we need to do it that way. Why no sold it like a sequel if is so big or like an episode. I hope the graphic don't be blurry like in the first DV2 to make worthy re-buy DV 2 again.
Posted By: Raze Re: Another status update - 15/07/10 10:29 PM

There is a limit on the size of DLC. A disk release for the Xbox version was technically possible, but they couldn't get a publisher for just FoV.

The PC version has an option to disable depth of field blurring (if that's what you are talking about), but unfortunately the Xbox version doesn't. I would certainly prefer that option in DKS; most of the time it isn't a big deal, but sometimes it is very noticeable (in the cutscene when talking to Patriarch, for example, the video starts out a little blurry, clears up for a couple seconds and looks really good, then switches back to slightly blurry).

Welcome to the forum. wave
Posted By: Dae Re: Another status update - 16/07/10 12:16 AM

There is a limit on the size of DLC. A disk release for the Xbox version was technically possible, but they couldn't get a publisher for just FoV.

Id be curious to know how the fallout 3 developers were able to find publishers for individual DLC addons. I see 'Point lookout', 'Broken steel' and 'the Pitt' on the shelves every time I visit Best Buy.
Posted By: Raze Re: Another status update - 16/07/10 03:09 AM

Really?

Bethesda has much more resources than Larian, a much higher advertising budget and name recognition, a much higher profile, etc. I've seen TV advertisements for Fallout (even with a DVR to skip 99% of commercials), and mentions in general computer publications, but with D2:ED I have not seen any advertisements at all, and references are restricted to gaming or RPG websites, as far as I've noticed.

A quick Google search brought up an article stating that in the first week it was released, Fallout 3 sold 4.7 million copies (PC, PS3 and Xbox) in the US and UK, giving a profit of $300 million for the week. Another article said total Xbox sales were 1.14 million in the US.
The Xbox version of D2:ED apparently sold about 40 thousand copies in the US for the first week, and 115 thousand in the first 5 months.

Lar mentioned there were several reasons they couldn't get the Xbox version of just FoV published. If you want to compare Larian to Bethesda, though, the relative projected sales numbers would have to be part of the difference. There could also have been publishers that would have wanted to release FoV, but didn't have the resources right now to handle another game, etc. Maybe some were just not interested in a single add-on, but might have been if there was going to be a series of them...
Posted By: Stabbey Re: Another status update - 16/07/10 03:16 AM
Originally Posted by Uyuyuy
IDK but i think is just an excuse to sell the game again....Oblivion had big DLC's and were sold via DLC or expansion disk. Don't get me wrong , i love D2 and i'll buy the new version ; but i really feel i am getting cheated when the devs say that the expansion is so big that we need to do it that way. Why no sold it like a sequel if is so big or like an episode. I hope the graphic don't be blurry like in the first DV2 to make worthy re-buy DV 2 again.

Actually I could tell just from Ego Draconis itself that the developers intended there to be more content in the game, but they didn't have time or the budget to put it in. Aleroth is a huge city which you can explore only a tiny part of and do only one quest - the main quest.

There's also the case that for a game which hypes up becoming a dragon and getting a battle tower. you spend more time earthbound without a tower. That also suggests that the dragon with tower part of the game was intended to be longer.

I also note that many of the mini-movies show fighting in the streets of Aleroth, which isn't in the game.
Posted By: Spartan717 Re: Another status update - 16/07/10 03:28 AM
Dragon Age Origins Awakening was released on disc and as DLC, and it was only 2GB. Surely Flames of Vengence can't be much bigger.
Posted By: Uyuyuy Re: Another status update - 16/07/10 03:32 AM

oh now i understood , my apologies to the team working in the game if i over reacted.

thanks for the welcome.

I would like to know if the new version of D 2 will support the same achievements of if it will be different. I did miss 3 achievements in the game , and if i trade it for the version that includes FoV , i want to know if i can get it?

-------------

BTW sounds interesting what Stabbey said. Can't wait.
Posted By: Raze Re: Another status update - 16/07/10 04:32 AM

Spartan717;
I think the limit for DLC on Xbox Live is 2GB; FoV doesn't have to be much bigger than that, just bigger. Apparently it either wasn't close, or they could not cut a reasonable amount of content or compress the video a little more, etc, to get it under the limit.

Uyuyuy;
Somebody else asked about achievements, as well, but we have not had an answer if DKS will be separate, or the same achievements as D2:ED plus possibly some additional amount for the add-on portion.
Posted By: Uyuyuy Re: Another status update - 16/07/10 06:57 AM
Dragon Age Origins Awakening was released on disc and as DLC, and it was only 2GB. Surely Flames of Vengence can't be much bigger.

to me DAO, DAO Awakening..aren't so big like others RPG. You move from one area to another via map not like in Divinity 2 , Fallout 3 etc , where you need explore/walk the areas to find locations. IMO.

------------

ty Raze for answer my doubt... i'll wait patiently for one answer when the devs be ready to release it.

I really would like to know more about FoV .
Posted By: Libertarian Re: Another status update - 16/07/10 10:06 PM

But that's not the issue here. It's up to the publisher. How many publishers want to publish a niche expansion to a niche game that requires the latter to play the former? Exactly. Getting it all bundled together is a much easier sell.
Posted By: paro Re: Another status update - 16/07/10 10:48 PM
darn do istill need to start over or can i go from old save
Posted By: Uyuyuy Re: Another status update - 16/07/10 11:00 PM
old save or start with a new .
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Another status update - 17/07/10 09:16 AM
Yes.
Posted By: ghdfans2010 Re: Another status update - 17/07/10 09:30 AM
Thanx so much for your detailed info. I love and appreciate the updates, but I'd like to hear what's going on with an Xbox 360 version.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Raze Re: Another status update - 17/07/10 04:01 PM

That info is mentioned and discussed above, but if you have not read that far yet, basically the add-on was too large to be released as DLC and Larian could not get a publisher for just FoV on the Xbox. It will only be available as part of the Dragon Knight Saga (remastered D2:ED plus FoV); on the PC, FoV and DKS will be available separately.

Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Another status update - 17/07/10 09:45 PM
Sorry to say this, but this person appears to be some kind of forum spammer to me; otherwise I wouldn't understand that Divinity 2 is nowadays called "ghd" elsewhere.
Posted By: Raze Re: Another status update - 17/07/10 10:10 PM

The beginning certainly started off sounding like a spam post, but I have signatures disabled, so it seemed like it could have just been someone with poor English reading skills, replying to a post at the bottom of the first page, rather than going through the rest of the topic.
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Another status update - 17/07/10 11:45 PM
Well, spammers obviously begin to try tobe like just normal forum members.

I have seen totally generic, spam-free posts from spammers, too. These posts did not contain the slightest hind of spam, but were SO MUCh generic, they sometimes even missed the discussion's topic.
They sounded a bit like the reply from above.

I have made up the theory that such generic, spam-free replies are used as tests on communities to see how they react.
If reactions are positive, they might - according to my theory - later be used as compounds for spam.

Another theory of mine is, that similar generic replies are "collected" by some meta web crawler (a similar thing like a web crawling search engine) to be put together into spam - e-mails or into bigger forum posts.

The most bizarre example of spam I had encountered so far was a more or less (I don't remember any details anymore correctly) forums entry which contained links to a completely normal looking blog.

And *that* blog contained spam ! Hidden as simple text links within a much longer text which was "crafted" so, that it was meant to appear to occational readers as a pretty normal blog entry.

And the simple text links embedded within this huge block of text went to a ... well, I think it was a company of some sorts for which the spam was meant to be.

I think I should still have a copy of it somewhere.

As an essence, it boild down to the creation of an Eliza-like Turing-machine which is meant to fool humans by pretending to be a ghuman forum member, too, which is then able to - rather implicitely - offer them (the readers) spam.
Posted By: paro Re: Another status update - 17/07/10 11:47 PM
ok just going to make sure i have divinity2 and alli need to do is enter the hall of echos and beat the game if i buy the dragon knight saga can i still play from that point?
Posted By: Raze Re: Another status update - 18/07/10 01:00 AM

Larian has not commented on D2:ED save compatibility with DKS yet. I'd guess it is fairly likely, though (none of the mentioned changes made to DKS seem like they would necessarily prevent loading a D2:ED save).
Posted By: paro Re: Another status update - 18/07/10 03:38 AM
ok thanks
Posted By: Libertarian Re: Another status update - 18/07/10 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by ghdfans2010
Thanx so much for your detailed info. I love and appreciate the updates, but I'd like to hear what's going on with an Xbox 360 version.

Go away. We don't support sweatshops.

Ugh, spammers.

Anyways, I was in Gamestop today and still no listing for the Dragon Knight Saga. frown Will this definitely come to North America, Larian?
Posted By: Dae Re: Another status update - 19/07/10 03:39 AM
Its the same at the retail store Best Buy, even the silver concierge line doesnt have any info on the DKS. I hope its coming to North America...id hate to have to look into getting a hold of a European 360.
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Another status update - 19/07/10 10:02 AM
It's just far too early for that I assume.
Posted By: DivineGamer Re: Another status update - 20/07/10 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by ghdfans2010

Go away. We don't support sweatshops.

Ugh, spammers.

Anyways, I was in Gamestop today and still no listing for the Dragon Knight Saga. frown Will this definitely come to North America, Larian?

No publisher/distributor has been announced for the US.
Only the European Publishers have been announced.
Posted By: SamNainocard Re: Another status update - 21/07/10 01:58 PM
I'm wondering about different of Flame of Vengeance and The Dragon Knight Saga.

Flame of Vengeance releases before The Dragon Knight Saga, so Flame of Vengeance doesn't have new engine for Ego Draconis? (Only new engine Flame of Vengeance part.)
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Another status update - 21/07/10 02:22 PM
Well, I think it has.

Saga is only kind of a "wrap up" for me.
Posted By: Raze Re: Another status update - 21/07/10 06:28 PM

I though the English version of FoV and DKS were both set for an October release? The German FoV will be released mid August.

FoV does include engine updates, bug fixes, etc for D2:ED. DKS changes actual content of the D2:ED section of the game (so far the flying fortresses seem to be the biggest difference announced). DKS may include more updates or texture changes, etc, than are included with FoV, but if so it has not been mention to what extent.
Posted By: SamNainocard Re: Another status update - 23/07/10 04:43 AM
I see, if DKS changes D2:ED content then I guess I'll wait for DKS.
Posted By: LightningLockey Re: Another status update - 23/07/10 05:31 AM
Might as well, it is why I didn't install it yet on my computer. I'll wait for the FOV and play threw it from start to end to end. I'm sure this will be awesome.

I'd suggest you play threw the Demo to get an idea what the game will look like. Just to mess around a bit. It will feel like you played a game that is in Beta compared to the FOV release. The controls will be on thing improved from that demo edition.
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Another status update - 23/07/10 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by LightningLockey
It will feel like you played a game that is in Beta compared to the FOV release.

I doubt so. I know FOV and Divinity 2, and both are playing well - each one on its own.

To say one of both is "playing like a beta" is like saying a Volkswagen is like a beta compared to an BMW.

Which is unfair, in my eyes.
Posted By: LightningLockey Re: Another status update - 24/07/10 03:14 AM
Usually the beta games I've played ended up getting good polishing overs before final release. There has been a lot of upgrades since I've played D2 the way it is.

You are right though, I did feel satisfied with D2 as it was. Felt like a good movie that will have a good sequel.
Posted By: Mr Kooolaid Re: Another status update - 24/07/10 07:55 PM
Wait is there a patch or DLC to add the extra content from DKS without buying it or does it only come with the DKS package?
Posted By: Raze Re: Another status update - 24/07/10 08:32 PM

There will be a patch for D2:ED that includes bug fixes and engine updates, etc. On the PC there will be a separate release of the add-on and DKS (the combined remastered D2:ED and addon); on Xbox there will just be the DKS release. The remastered parts of DKS (changes to the flying fortresses probably being the biggest change mentioned) will presumably only be part of DKS.
Posted By: Mr Kooolaid Re: Another status update - 24/07/10 08:42 PM
Damn I was hoping there might be a DLC for the 360 ... Ehh shit happens. I may just have to buy DKS if it turns out there are some major changes (besides what we already know).
Posted By: Raze Re: Another status update - 24/07/10 09:47 PM

Larian originally intended to release FoV as DLC on the Xbox, but it ended up being too large for that.
Posted By: LightningLockey Re: Another status update - 25/07/10 05:55 AM
Micro$oft has the three L's
Limitations
Licenses
Lumps of cash

Thus why I won't own an X-box
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Another status update - 25/07/10 11:12 AM
I think the term "beta games" ist just another step inte generall degrading development studios,
who normally aren't responsible for delivering the games in such a bad state, but instead the publishers are, due to their pressure(s) to release a game to certain dates (which, cynically put, often run parallel to report dates to shareholders).

In case of Divinity 1 for example rumor says that CDV Germany just didn't give them any money anymore. "Publish or perish" at its most literal state.

In my perception, the gamers who rant about the bad state of games are imho too often looking away from the responsibility (or guilt, in the case of games shipping in a bad state) of the publishers.

Instead, the same gamers fire their cannons of hatred against the developers,
meanwhile the developers are nowadays too often squeezed among hammer & anvil.

Publishers are imho often not regarded as their should compared to their influence & might & money.
Posted By: paro Re: Another status update - 27/07/10 12:54 PM
i disagree largly limitation wize iv never encounterd any and of couse it would be soooooo evil of them to charge you $200 for an xbox and $40 a year if you cant aford that i sugest you sell some stuff to keep up to the world.
Posted By: ironcreed Re: Another status update - 27/07/10 02:54 PM
Arcania: Gothic IV, Two Worlds II (supposedly just got pushed from September), and Fallout: New Vegas are all set for an October release. Now we have this also coming in October. My question is, have RPG developers gone completely mad? We get nothing for so long, then they all bombard us at one time.

First off, what's up there, old friend?bow Hope all is well with you.

Anyway, October is indeed looking insane. I am actually expecting a repeat of last year with a bunch of incoming delays. If not, then I'll just have to put some games off for awhile. Two Worlds II, Arcania: Gothic 4, Fable III and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow are all insta-buys for me. While the Dragon Knight Saga is still a must buy, it may have to wait a month or so because of all the other new titles. Too bad they could not nail down September. That would work great for me.
Posted By: Libertarian Re: Another status update - 27/07/10 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by ironcreed

Anyway, October is indeed looking insane. I am actually expecting a repeat of last year with a bunch of incoming delays. If not, then I'll just have to put some games off for awhile. Two Worlds II, Arcania: Gothic 4, Fable III and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow are all insta-buys for me. While the Dragon Knight Saga is still a must buy, it may have to wait a month or so because of all the other new titles. Too bad they could not nail down September. That would work great for me.

Howdy there! smile

All the titles you just mentioned, and we also have Enslaved, Vanquish, True Crime: Hong Kong, etc.

But like you, Iron, I'm also expecting a repeat of last year and previous years before it. I welcome delays when there is so much, but I also get slightly mad when a developer/publisher keeps delaying and can't nail down a firm release date. If you're not certain, don't nail a release date to it.
Posted By: ironcreed Re: Another status update - 27/07/10 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by ironcreed

Howdy there! smile

All the titles you just mentioned, and we also have Enslaved, Vanquish, True Crime: Hong Kong, etc.

But like you, Iron, I'm also expecting a repeat of last year and previous years before it. I welcome delays when there is so much, but I also get slightly mad when a developer/publisher keeps delaying and can't nail down a firm release date. If you're not certain, don't nail a release date to it.

Exactly, man. I prefer the, "when it is done, it's done" approach. It seems like every year all of the high profile and even lower profile releases get place holder dates all slammed together in October. Then lo and behold, here come the delays. Regardless, I am going to be swamped as hell. Just wish I had some definite dates.
Posted By: LightningLockey Re: Another status update - 28/07/10 06:37 AM
Until I've been a customer for Larian, and they explained the whole deal about how publishers work. I've never realized how hard it is for a new company. Also didn't realize how much more they wanted in DD. Thing is the game would have probably become too large.

The only thing I didn't like about DD was the final level seemed generic and was getting bored with it. It really had no structure, just felt like a rat maze. Was hoping it be as interesting as the sewers were. Other then that, I don't know how they could have made it any better and will most likely be playing it from start to finish again within the next year... there are maybe five or six games total that I enjoy as much as DD. Only one other is an RPG and that is Zelda LttP.
Posted By: Joram Re: Another status update - 28/07/10 07:07 AM
On this moment the only other game, beside of The Dragon Knight Saga, I've an eye on is Gothic IV.
But first reading what people say about that game on fora and within Christmastime I buy myself The Dragon Knight Saga for Xbox and after that begin to play again in Farglow and just stop if I end Flames of Vengeance . biggrin

But I can understand many gamers going crazy about gamesrelaeses that comes all together in october !! smirk
Just to say : keep up the "best game(s)" wink
Posted By: jereth Re: Another status update - 28/07/10 02:24 PM
will fov be the end of egodraconis or is it possible for more adventures with our favorite split personality flying lizard
Posted By: spif2001 Re: Another status update - 28/07/10 05:33 PM
On this moment the only other game, beside of The Dragon Knight Saga, I've an eye on is Gothic IV.

Since you like these type of games, I think you should keep an eye out for Two Worlds II also. It looks very nice, they have improved on everything from the first game (which was needed), and critics all over seems happy with what they see.

See the latest trailer on IGN: Link
Posted By: Raze Re: Another status update - 28/07/10 05:55 PM

The FoV website says it is "The epic conclusion to the Dragon Knight's story". Hopefully if it does well enough there will be additional add-ons with a new dragon knight, but I don't know if I'd hold my breath waiting on that.
Posted By: LightningLockey Re: Another status update - 29/07/10 03:37 AM
I'd rather see Larian end this and start work on a new story that takes place some 50 or 100 years down the road where many things in the world can be changed and become totally new. It be nice to revisit the Dwarven Bread Inn or Verdistis, but if it isn't in FOV, I rather see it in D3.
Posted By: Dae Re: Another status update - 29/07/10 05:58 AM
I'll second that. Theres just something enticing about exploring the countryside and seeing references to the adventures long ago completed by a previous player character.
Posted By: Joram Re: Another status update - 29/07/10 06:51 AM
Originally Posted by spif2001

Since you like these type of games, I think you should keep an eye out for Two Worlds II also. It looks very nice, they have improved on everything from the first game (which was needed), and critics all over seems happy with what they see.

See the latest trailer on IGN: Link

Thanks ! wink

The trailer looks very nice !
I keep an eye also on this game ... but first FoV, that will be sure. Than Two Worlds II and/or Gothic IV ...
And can I buy also somewhere ... think
more-free-TIME-for-gaming? :hihi:
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Another status update - 29/07/10 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by LightningLockey
I'd rather see Larian end this and start work on a new story that takes place some 50 or 100 years down the road where many things in the world can be changed and become totally new.

This would be a very interesting thought, and parhaps something for the future.

But : Since most (if not all) role-playing games evolve around "war" as the theme in which a "hero" develops, this is unlikely.

Actually, I can't remember ANY role-playing gme without "war" as the major theme !

So, I tend to rather expect that Larian would rather exploit the recurring theme of War Aginst The Damned One even further. I believe, this war needs an epic conclusion ! Because there's still the Black Ring ...

Apart from that : As I wrote above, I'd personally like something like Gothic 3, only in Rivellon.

I' lik to see some pretty normal, not war-torn towns and enclaves, too. Something where the action stops at, something to rest in. So to say.

But that ll is Larian's decision. All Divinity games have been rather action-oriented games in the past.

And that, although they do know to do non-action game, too ... wink

Posted By: Spartan717 Re: Another status update - 29/07/10 11:59 AM
I prefer Gothic 3 over Divinity 2. Although they offer different experiences Gothic 3 is better in the way you feel like the country is actually at war. There are tons of towns, villages, cities while Divinity 2 only had a few, with fewer interactions. Anyway I also prefer the slower paced Gothic 3 style combat over random jumping and slicing. When I bought Diviniy 2 I was expecting a cool Oblivion Gothic clone, but it wasn't. I'm not saying the game is bad, but it falls short compared to other RPGs
Posted By: Libertarian Re: Another status update - 29/07/10 05:40 PM
Gothic III kinda sucks compared to Divinity II, even after all the fixes.
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Another status update - 29/07/10 07:56 PM
We're talking about the story, I guess, not about technics.
Posted By: Kein Re: Another status update - 01/08/10 04:27 PM
Okay, let's talk about the story.

From gamestar.de review:

Die Quests
Getreu dem alten Rollenspielgesetz, dass es irgendwo immer noch einen mächtigeren Zauberer gibt, ist es Ihre Aufgabe in Flames of Vengeance, eben jenen tief in den Katakomben von Aleroth aufzuspüren. Der mächtige Zauberer verfügt nämlich über das Allheilmittel gegen Damian und seine fliegenden Festungen.

AMAZING!
I thought it is not possible to make the plot more lame and worse, but looks like Larian breaks all the limits here.
WE. MUST.FIND.ANOTHER.POWERFUL.WIZARD.TO.DEFEAT.DAMIAN.
My deus_ex_elements_in_game_plots-meter shows over9k value and dies. No wonder coz of such originality - SUDDENLY, a new powerful mage Behrlihn (LOOOOOOOL) appears and solves everything. It is fun how Larian make every new powerful mage for every new Divinity game (Zandalor -> Maxos -> Behrlihn).

Soooo laaaame.
Shame on your heads, Larian.
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Another status update - 02/08/10 12:19 PM
I see from your writings that you haven't played the game.

Which means you don't know the plot.

Which means you'd better think twice on what you write.
Posted By: Kein Re: Another status update - 02/08/10 12:33 PM
Are you trying to say that gamestar.de reviewers are liars or don't know the things they're talking about?

I guess you'd better to think twice on what you write.

P.S. As usual - *fanbois_to_the_rescue.jpg*
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Another status update - 02/08/10 01:06 PM
I say that they haven't revealed enough of the story yet.

There do exist things like "spoilers", you know !

And do you know what an anti-fanboy is ?
Posted By: Kein Re: Another status update - 02/08/10 04:28 PM
My question was pretty simple, why do you ignore it.
The answer is simple: yes/no
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Another status update - 03/08/10 09:16 AM
For me, simple answers do not exist.
Posted By: Farflame Re: Another status update - 04/08/10 04:37 PM
Alrik has right. How do you know for example that the reviewer played the game thoroughly and knows all the facts about game world's background? More important is experience on which his opinion is based. If you see this matter only as black/white logic - they lie or they are true - then I'm afraid you live in fairy tale, Kein. And you will be sooner or later disappointed by real life.
Posted By: Kein Re: Another status update - 04/08/10 09:47 PM
Larian, you're amazing. I.. I.. I just... SIMPLE AWESUM.
You forcefully capped the game's FPS to 30! GREAT JOB!
Now ppl with GTX480/Core i7 Extreme gonna play it on shitty 30PFS!!11111oneoneone

Tha's just... brilliant coding job and a VERY clever way to solve issues I ever seen.

Here comes the cookie.
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Another status update - 05/08/10 12:35 PM
Which kind of cookie ? I like several flavours.

And, by the way, what do you know of the importance of FPS ? Are you a programmer ?
Posted By: Urath Re: Another status update - 08/08/10 05:50 PM
i like white chocolate chip, dark chocolate chips give me itchy scrot
Posted By: LightningLockey Re: Another status update - 09/08/10 03:24 AM
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer

Actually, I can't remember ANY role-playing gme without "war" as the major theme !

So, I tend to rather expect that Larian would rather exploit the recurring theme of War Aginst The Damned One even further. I believe, this war needs an epic conclusion ! Because there's still the Black Ring ...

LandStalker was a fun RPG that didn't involve war. Just a treasure hunter and a duke that ended up racing each other to the treasure.

This war could end in D2 and another start up again for D3.
Posted By: Kein Re: Another status update - 09/08/10 12:18 PM
D2 plot is cheap. Don't take it too seriously.
Posted By: Libertarian Re: Another status update - 09/08/10 05:42 PM
While the Divinity II plot is full of genre tropes, I feel that they did a stellar job with it.

It's hard to pull off humor and compelling characters. I feel Larian succeeded where most other developers fail.
Posted By: Kein Re: Another status update - 09/08/10 06:35 PM
Tell that to Bioware >_>
Posted By: Libertarian Re: Another status update - 09/08/10 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by Kein
Tell that to Bioware >_>

Another developer that often falls for genre tropes.
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Another status update - 11/08/10 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Kein
D2 plot is cheap. Don't take it too seriously.

Of Blizzard ?

Yes.

Posted By: LUKI Re: Another status update - 31/10/10 05:42 PM
Will there still be annoying stuttering like in Ego Draconis?

I had pc specs:
AMD X2 6000+ 3.01GhZ
2 GB RAM
GIGABYTE GF 8600GT 256MB
WIN XP SP2

and I couldn't play at any resolutions and detail settings because of non stop stuttering...

few days ago I have changed my GPU into GIGABYTE GTX460 1GB 256bit OC
so I'm wondering will that help especially in this "remastered" Dragon Knight Saga. I'm talking about English release with polish subtitles(problem with stuttering was with any language version besides German).
Posted By: Raze Re: Another status update - 31/10/10 09:12 PM

There is no public list of fixes yet in the upcoming patch or FoV / DKS, but it is a known issue a few people have run into, and there were engine optimizations made.
Posted By: LUKI Re: Another status update - 31/10/10 10:19 PM
Well I guess there's a lot more than just a few people which have problems with this game. I guess that Saga will have patch included already.
Posted By: XV1 Re: Another status update - 13/01/11 10:06 PM
Just out of curiosity, why can FOV be released as a sequel with character imports available? Seems like I have to pay twice for the same thing if I get DKS. If I do have to get DKS for 360 would their be a way to continue my old save game?
Posted By: Raze Re: Another status update - 13/01/11 10:51 PM

On the PC FoV is available separately, as a digital download. On the Xbox it is too large to be released as DLC, and Larian could not get it published as a disk version (only the German PC release got a disk version of FoV).

There were too many changes in DKS (redesigned flying fortresses, changes to enemy placement and loot, etc) to maintain save compatibility. Lar mentioned recently the possibility of creating a tool to import D2:ED saves and export them to the FoV section of DKS, but it would have to wait until the FoV to DKS conversion patch is done. If such a utility does get released, I don't know if an Xbox version would be feasible.

© Larian Studios forums