Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#356930 07/10/08 07:47 AM
Lar_q Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Hey all,

I wanted to give you a bit of an overview regarding the battle tower as the information presented in the press articles sometimes lacks detail (this being a direct result from it being transcripts from notes which are transcripts from presentations which have to done at a fast rate).

The battle tower is an ancient structure which you'll have to conquer at a certain point in the game. Once you have it, you'll get access to a number of centralized "services" which you previously found scattered over the game world.

The services take the form of different exterior platforms that are attached to your tower and each platform houses the appropiate machinery or equipment and a platform dude (or dudette). There are four types of platforms: An enchantment platform, an alchemy platform, a necromancer platform and a skill trainer platform.

Each platform is operated by a npc which you put there, meaning that you'll have a choice between npc's. The choice of npc will decide the particular strengths of an individual platform. For instance, you can choose between an enchanter who's good at armor or an enchanter who's good at weaponry.

Each platform can also be upgraded. This not only changes the looks of your platform, but also increases the quality of what it can produce. In the case of the necromancer, it becomes a particular nice bloody mess wink

-The enchanter allows you to enchant and disenchant equipment you discover in the world.
-The necromancer allows you to customize your Creature. The Creature is a stitched together Frankenstein like err... creature where the limb composition determines its abilities and stats.
-The skill trainer allows you to increase the maximum level of certain skills and perhaps the unlocking of a skill here and there
-The alchemist allows you to brew all kinds of potions

The tower can be accessed using what's called a dragon stone, which allows you to quickly teleport at almost any point in the game back and forth to your tower.

The inside of the tower is also an interesting place. There you'll find a huge chest where you can store all the junk you find in the world and there's also a teleporter which allows you to teleport to various waypoints that you first need to unlock while travelling through the world. Other highlights include a throne room and your living quarters.

There are also some inhabitants in the tower. These include your runners. Runners are npcs that you can send out on various missions to collect ingredients/formulas for your platform npcs. You can send them out on easy but also on hard missions. Their chances of success are determined by the gear you provide them with.

We consider the tower an important feature of div2 as it presents an important "axis of character development" for the game. The design goal for the character development has been to allow you to grow your character by the choices you make, the way you level up/select your skills, the gear you equip and the way you develop your tower.

Any questions, fire away.

Cheers

Lar

Lar_q #356931 07/10/08 09:18 AM
veteran
veteran
Sounds awesome!

Thanks, Lar smile

Please click the banner...
Lar_q #356933 07/10/08 11:18 AM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Lar_q
There you'll find a huge chest where you can store all the junk you find in the world...

Junk?!? Whaddya mean junk?!? You actually meant to say "all the nice, interesting and meaningful loot" didn't ya? Right? Riiiiiiight? biggrin oops

Interesting indeed...

E pensando di lei
Mi sopragiunse uno soave sonno
Ego dominus tuus
Vide cor tuum
Khamul #356943 07/10/08 04:02 PM
old hand
old hand
-The necromancer allows you to customize your Creature. The Creature is a stitched together Frankenstein like err... creature where the limb composition determines its abilities and stats.

Can't stop thinking about the Gate Keeper in TES IV: the Shivering Isles. At some point in the main storyline you have to rebuild the gatekeeper. You may choose which arms, head, chest etc he will be using. It's only a small difference in appearence, but its skills can vary a lot depending on which limbs you select.

So will the Creature be summonable or something similar? The Creature sounds as a pretty handy meat shield for a magic or ranged oriented character :p

isorun #356944 07/10/08 04:19 PM
veteran
veteran
Here is hoping for a blond mistress (enchantress) called Rapunzel

Not in the mood for cheese?
That excuse has more holes than a slice this fine Gorgombert!
Morbo #356954 07/10/08 09:45 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
ROFL !!! hahaha

Edit: Personally, I find this concept unique and therefore fascinating. smile

It reminds me of the old concept of "wizard towers" we also see in LOTR, Age of Wonders, etc. .

It also reminds me of the dark tower of the trailer ... wink

By the way, will the inhabitants & platform NPCs from different species & cultures ?

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
journeyman
journeyman
It's an interesting concept, and it's nice to see you've taken away part of the annoyance by allowing the player to get back to it at almost any time via teleporting (I assume they can teleport back to where they were at, too?). Thanks for the info!

veteran
veteran
Casting teachers:

the necromancer: the teacher is a small girl of 6 (think horror movies). "Let me teach you how I play with my dolls hihi".

The alchemist: barkeeper/drunk

The enchantress: Looks beautiful until you realise her amulet raises charisma 30 points (when she takes it of she will transform into an old hag)

The skill trainers: still thinking

Morbo #356967 08/10/08 05:43 AM
veteran
veteran
OMFG.

THANK YOU LAR.

This sounds amazing. A freaking tower and a throne room and everything. It's like you read my mind and then tripled what I had imagined.

Can't wait!

M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
Originally Posted by LewsTherinKinslayer13
It's like you read my mind and then tripled what I had imagined.

Mind reading is a skill in Divinity II after all. Coincidence? rpg006

I am in blood
Stepp'd in so far, that, should I wade no more,
Returning were as tedious as go o'er.
M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Macbeth
Mind reading is a skill in Divinity II after all. Coincidence? rpg006

Then again, if Larian would use mind reading, the company would lose experience, which in turn would worsen the quality of the game. Although I suspect something even more cunning is taking place - experience potions for the inhouse staff, perhaps?

But seriously, the tower looks awesome. A subterranean stronghold might be more original for a dragon, but that would entail stuff such as catapulting out from undergound. Makes me think of the movie Dragonheart - shiver shiver sleep.

A generation [...] now stood under the open sky in a countryside in which nothing remained unchanged but the clouds, and beneath these clouds, in a field of force of destrutive torrents and explosions, was the tiny, fragile human body.(Walter Benjamin)
veteran
veteran
You can fly off the top of a tower. That's gotta be worth doing just for itself smile

Please click the banner...
Lar_q #357007 09/10/08 09:49 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Lar_q

[...]
The inside of the tower is also an interesting place. There you'll find a huge chest where you can store all the junk you find in the world and there's also a teleporter which allows you to teleport to various waypoints that you first need to unlock while travelling through the world.
[...]

I wonder if the player itself has a storage limit in terms of weight/stones or bags/fields?

veteran
veteran
The strength stat will probably will come into effect for carrying items.

Morbo #357035 09/10/08 08:26 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by Morbo
The enchantress: Looks beautiful until you realise her amulet raises charisma 30 points (when she takes it of she will transform into an old hag)

Take a close look at the album cover of the album called "EVE" by the Alan Parson's Project ... wink

Skilltrainer: A good person, but totally lacks self-esteem.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
veteran
veteran
Or a blind trainer that always wins (on sheer luck)

Morbo #357037 10/10/08 02:23 AM
old hand
old hand
This tower seems really cool to store all your stuff in one area. I think I've got 8 chests in the basement you start at in Sword of Lies. Bah... better count it off...

3 at lower left wall,
2 on upper left wall,
2 at the top right...
1 infront of the bed (nvm I have a chest inside that chest for some reason... makes 2.)
3 by that pole

Plus various crap on the floor and a gold urn. So that is 12 chests, an urn and wagon wheel from that one merchant quest. My bedroom IRL is just as bad...

Will the gems still give an awesome glow like they did in the first one? I just loved the glow they gave.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
veteran
veteran
Don't forget your portable bed wink

M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
Take a close look at the album cover of the album called "EVE" by the Alan Parson's Project ... wink

Classic grin

I am in blood
Stepp'd in so far, that, should I wade no more,
Returning were as tedious as go o'er.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard