Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#432673 22/12/10 10:16 PM
Rewmac Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
How do I get rid of these barriers in the Fjords so I can use dragon form?
EDIT : I'm not talking about the first section, but the last to advance the story further.

Last edited by Rewmac; 22/12/10 10:36 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
You mean the ones around the Champion's Fort or High Hall? You can't: you have to walk (or swim).

J'aime le fromage.
Rewmac Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Oh brilliant...Then why is there even dragon form in this game?

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
You still get to use it a lot! Most of the fjords are still navigable in dragon form, and it's something you really can't do without when tackling the forts. But some places need good old bipedal transport. Though I agree it is somewhat irritating that they can't be deactivated.

J'aime le fromage.
Rewmac Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I love dragon form, it's unique, too unique. Just makes me wanna use it all the time just transform and back in air awesome. By the way do you know any good places to farm up for the flying fortresses? I'm lvl 24 I do whatever sidequests I can, but I'm getting ripped apart there. Or any location for good weapons? I have a couple legendary swords so I kinda need a good armor.

Last edited by Rewmac; 22/12/10 11:03 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Only thing I can suggest is to check out the guides such as this one: I'm not sure if the locations are exactly the same in DKS (I still have ED installed) but hopefully it'll give a few useful clues. Making sure your armour & weapons have decent charms and enchantments will help.

As for the forts, they are tricky. My usual tactic was simply to change back to human form when things got too hairy as I tended not to be so vulnerable that way, even when surrounded by Black Ring types. Just be careful when changing as a missile or magic blast that's targeted you will still hit after you've changed back to being a human, and it can hurt!

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Actually, I love the mix of ground combat and air combat of this game. I think that's a great concept. When I go after the flying fortresses, I first clear the ground. And then, when the air battle gets tough, like Vometia said, I just drop down to the ground to quickly heal or distribute points after a level up. I get the nests and the lightning towers first, drop down to heal, rinse and repeat.

I'd like to close by quoting Bellegar's famous last rhyme:

"Cursed be the mother that bred thee!
The wench must have been a hell-spawned banshee!"
Rewmac Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Sounds so easy smile I gotta work on my healing powers that's next I became a tank for my level but the damn healing is only level 1. I gonna search around for some mind reading and amp it up so it's actually useful. Gonna level up some more. Which flying fortress would you guys recommend as a start? What's the best order to go through?

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
For healing skills, I found "life leech" to be pretty handy: the more you give your enemy a kicking, the healthier you get! Though it only works with melee tactics, if I recall.

As for the forts, the guide I linked to suggests starting with Stone's, then Raze's, and leaving Kali's and Keara's until last. I think I'm inclined to agree with that order, and found Keara's the most wearying... though maybe it's because I was fed up with doing the forts by that point! But I prefer exploring on foot to flying; I'm strange like that.

Last edited by Vometia; 23/12/10 01:37 AM. Reason: typo

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Rewmac
I gotta work on my healing powers that's next I became a tank for my level but the damn healing is only level 1. I gonna search around for some mind reading and amp it up so it's actually useful...
I like playing "ranged" (bows and magic) therefore I cannot use life leach. Level 7 Heal gets me out of any situation... no need to go past that.

Mind Reading does not become more "useful" in any way when invested points in it. Only the COST of reading the mind goes down. You can make up for the lost exp very easily in this game. I wouldn't recommend more that 3 points in it.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
I'd have to disagree with your Shaver, at least later in the game when skill points are in abundance and mind-reading can be trained to level 15 (no XP cost at all). At the very least it saves you some time loading and saving each time you want to mindread someone.

I'm already at level 46, and I haven't even found the fifth clue yet, I don't think I'd be as high if I was mindreading everyopne for full XP cost. But you make a good point - the game implies that mindread becomes more effective with increased skill, which isn't the case.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Trippy
...it saves you some time loading and saving each time you want to mindread someone...
Once you make it to FoV, there'll be a ton of mind reading to be done. However, you don't ever have to save/load to save on exp debt. Here's why:
If the cost is 8000, then it's a stupid comment by Behrlihn <--don't mind read. If the cost is 16000, then it's very useful <---must read. If the cost is 24000, then it's a stat or a skill boost <---optional.
I stand by my 3pt skill. Any more than that is wasted points.

p.s. Your actual cost may be different than my numbers depends on how many points you have in the skill.

Last edited by Shaver; 23/12/10 05:48 AM. Reason: Added p.s.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Good point Shaver, but even then it still takes time to make up that XP. I guess I just had a lot of skill points to spare - as a Mage, once I'd maxed out Magic Missile, Fireball, Destriction and put a few points into Healing there wasn't much else I really needed to spend skill points on.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Trippy
I'd have to disagree with your Shaver, at least later in the game when skill points are in abundance and mind-reading can be trained to level 15 (no XP cost at all). At the very least it saves you some time loading and saving each time you want to mindread someone.

You don't have to reload: I had multiple "ouch" moments when it turned out to be a big experience hit for some idiotic comment from the voice in my head, especially as I failed to invest more than one point in mindreading; but it felt game-breaking to reload so I just had to live with the consequences. Still finished at level 44 or 45, which was okay with me.

J'aime le fromage.
I did the same, especially in the FOV part.

Cost is huge but in the end you get everything back, just ensure to do a max of talking before doing actual killing and questing.

Imarion

K
stranger
stranger
K
For Mind Reads just hang on to any +mindread gear you find. I swap in that gear to lower the XP cost, then swap it back out.

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard