Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Demonic Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
We all know about the protagonist of Beyond Divinity don't we? The protagonist was a paladin of The Divine One. One day the hero was hunting down a necromancer with some fellow paladins but surprise took them when the necromancer summoned the demon Samuel who slaughtered all of the paladins save for our hero whom he dragged back into his realm to imprison him. To make matters worst our hero was soul forged with a death knight!

Everything turns out well for our hero in the end and he returns to Rivellon. After a surprise twist of events our hero finds himself facing an uncertain fate which many thought would be concluded in the next Divinity entry.

Two Divinity adventures later and our hero has been abandoned by Larian and nearly forgotten. I recently tracked down The Paladin to interview him. Here's the interview:

Demonic: Hello Paladin. My name is Demonic and today I will be interviewing you. May I ask your name before we begin?

Paladin: My name is not for me to decide.

Demonic: I see. What shall I call you then?

Paladin: You may call me what you're already calling me at the left side of this text box.

Demonic: Very well Paladin. Anyways now that the introductions are over I guess we can get to the questions.

Paladin: Yeah.

Demonic: So what's your opinion on your absence from recent Divinity titles?

Paladin: I'm shocked actually. I mean I don't even get one nod save for one lousy painting in Flames of Vengeance. I was the protagonist of Beyond Divinity the second entry in the Divinity series and my tale doesn't even get mentioned or concluded in any way? Even Seth makes a reappearance in Divinity 2 and has his tale concluded but me? I get nothing!

[Linked Image]

Demonic: Do you think you'll reappear or at least have your tale concluded or referenced more in future Divinity installments?

Paladin: Divine One knows! All I know is, is that Larian are probably going to reference that silly little Dragon Knight in the next Divinity game but once again I'll be absent and not even mentioned. Larian has made every inhabitant in the Divinity universe forget me. Why Larian? WHY?!

*The Paladin looks down at the floor and covers his forehead with his right hand. After a heavy sigh he looks back up at me and continues*

Paladin:I know my adventure wasn't really that amazingly awesome but they can't just abandon me like this. Not when I had a connection with Damien. Not when my fate needs to be concluded. The Dragon Knight got his conclusions. What about me? Hmm? WHAT ABOUT ME LARIAN?!

[Linked Image]

Demonic: Alright. Calm down a bit...

Paladin: Calm down? F**K YOU! F**K YOU LARIAN! F**K THIS INTERVIEW! THAT'S IT!

*The Paladin stands up from his chair, picks it up and throws it against the wall with such strength that it breaks upon impact*

Paladin: I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF BEING LEFT ABANDONED! I DESERVE CONCLUSION! I DESERVE CLOSURE! I'M COMING FOR YOU LARIAN AND I WILL FORCE YOU TO PUT ME INTO THE NEW DIVINITY GAME! PUT ME IN DRAGON COMMANDER!

Demonic: But Dragon Commander is set before you were even born! Hell it's set before The Divine One's tale! You being in Dragon Commander wouldn't make sense!

Paladin: I DON'T CARE! LARIAN CAN SAY I DISCOVERED A TIME TRAVELLING MACHINE!I WANT TO BE IN DRAGON COMMANDER AND I WANT TO BE THE PROTAGONIST!

Demonic: I don't think that's possible...

Paladin: IF LARIAN REFUSE I WILL KILL THEM AND YOU TOO IF YOU GET IN MY WAY!

*I secretly call the guards to apprehend The Paladin*

Demonic: Uh huh?

*The guards quickly enter the room*

Guard: Alright sir! That's enough! Calm down!

Paladin: Calm down? CALM DOWN?! I'LL KILL YA ALL!

*The Paladin dispatches the guards as I make my escape*

And that was the interview folks. I just managed to get away from The Paladin before he turned on me. Sadly the bastard managed to kill all the staff within the complex that we operated in.

I've also heard reports that he's headed to Larian Studios t- wait a second...

HE'S HERE! OH MY GOD! HE'S IN MY HOUSE!

I HAVE TO GO!

NO! GET AWAY FIEND!

GET AWAY FROM ME!!!!!

STAY BACK YOU MURDERING BASTARD!!

GET BACK I DEMAND!

NOOOOO!!!!

AHGRRGGERGRGRHRGHGGHhh!gh!gh!j!ko!jmOIJKOkk!k!lo!LS
S

Last edited by Demonic; 17/05/12 10:33 PM.
Support
Support

The BD hero could be in Project E, depending on when it is set (mages may live hundreds of years, and Seth was still around, in fighting shape, after about a hundred years). The only problem making the BD hero a playable character would be that he couldn't defeat Damian if the game was set before DKS, and afterwards the Divine One and dragon knight would be more likely protagonists. As an NPC, Larian would have to assume a gender and appearance, though it would be easy to mention visiting an illusionist to explain a change from the BD character.

Demonic Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Nah I don't want him as the protagonist. Maybe he wants to be the protagonist but I'd rather have the protagonist be The Divine One. Like him I am curious about his fate though and I wonder if Project E will reference him or his story. You might even find a little journal entry by Damien where he writes about spending an annoying time soul-forged to "that paladin" in Nemesis.

Anyway this topic was a joke topic. I personally couldn't care if we never hear about The Paladin again and it can be left up to player imagination to decide his fate which is probably best.

Last edited by Demonic; 17/05/12 10:53 PM.
veteran
veteran
What.

I'm not so sure. IIRC Damian teleported him somewhere but I remember the paladin being a rift runner so most likely he could come back from whatever place he was sent to. Or most likely he could choose a dimension where he's more appreciated biggrin

TBH unlike Divine Divinity and DKS, the protagonist of Beyond Divinity didn't leave much of an impression. It's like a TV series in between two big movies.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by J747L
I'm not so sure. IIRC Damian teleported him somewhere but I remember the paladin being a rift runner so most likely he could come back from whatever place he was sent to. Or most likely he could choose a dimension where he's more appreciated biggrin

TBH unlike Divine Divinity and DKS, the protagonist of Beyond Divinity didn't leave much of an impression. It's like a TV series in between two big movies.

He wasn't actually rift-runner, though. If I remember correctly (which is doubtful since I played the game only once, guess why), during the gameplay we get in possession some kind of orb or artifact that allows us to open rifts and then Damian takes it from us when we open rift to Rivendell. So basically we stuck in the last dimension we traveled in?

And seriously, BD hero was quite boring and dull. I hope that his/her appearance (if there is one) will be as secondary character maximum. I'd rather prefer to play as DivineOne/DK or, may be, Maxos or some new figure.

Support
Support

The hero in BD did learn to open rifts, acquiring a wand and book of coordinates very near the end of the game, allowing the hero and DK to return to Rivellon. I don't recall Damian taking the book or wand, but even if he didn't I don't see the hero being brought back in a significant role. In his latest blog post, Lar said "Beyond Divinity definitely wasn’t as good as Divine Divinity, and I always regretted making that one, even if it got ok reviews."

Originally Posted by Raze

In his latest blog post, Lar said "Beyond Divinity definitely wasn’t as good as Divine Divinity, and I always regretted making that one, even if it got ok reviews."

Thanks for the link. I'm not an ardent fan but Lar's ability to publicly admit mistakes struck me as quite admirable. To me, the protagonist's story is the least of BD's problems.

As a customer, it gave an assurance that they won't be making the same mistake.

Support
Support

Actually, I always though much of the criticism of Beyond Divinity was overly harsh (though certainly don't mind them drawing primarily on Divine Divinity for Project E). I got more of a reassurance when Lar said they made too many compromises with the console development of Divinity 2 (not that it was particularly consolified, but there were a couple places where you could see design concessions).

Demonic Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
LOL I heard rumors that the Beyond Divinity hero has forced Larian to put him into Original Sin despite the fact that it's set before he was born.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard