Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Macbeth Offline OP
Chronicler
OP Offline
Chronicler
M
People have wondered why it is exactly Divinity II goes by the name of Ego Draconis, so let me explain. "Ego" is Latin for "I" and "Draconis" is the genitive of "Draco" meaning "dragon". Why then, isn't the game simply called "Ego Draco"? Well actually, there is a very good reason, namely that "Ego Draconis" is a genitive of origin. This means that Divinity II isn't called "I, dragon", but "I of dragon", or more fluently translated, "I, descendant, scion, heir or successor of the dragon". Which of these possibilities comes closest to the meaning we want it to carry, or how it ties in with the story, is for you to find out when the game ships.

Hope this clears things up! Class dismissed. smile

Cheers,

Macbeth

I am in blood
Stepp'd in so far, that, should I wade no more,
Returning were as tedious as go o'er.
old hand
old hand
was already wondering if draco followed the conjugation of 'avus' or 'dux' :p
mystery solved I guess

veteran
veteran
Interesting. Thanks MacBeth smile

Please click the banner...
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
i would say "divine divinity II- age of dragon's" sound better..
or:
"divine divinity II- dragon slayer"
or:
"Divine Divinity II- rawr. for i am, le dragon."

addict
addict
Divine Divinity ranks 21 in the Worst Video Game Names of all time. Although the actual ranking the name should have is debatable it does belong in that list. Divine Divinity is a stupid name.
For this sequel they dropped the 'Divine' which is good.
Personally I would have sticked with just Divinity 2. In my opinion the Ego Draconis addition doesn't make it a better title.

See me @ The Locus Inn & RPGWatch
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
but ego draconis makes the whole name nerdy. sorry but its true frown
saying the "Idragon" would be simpler.. althogh not original xD

veteran
veteran
its an RPG.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Myrthos
Divine Divinity is a stupid name.
For this sequel they dropped the 'Divine' which is good.
Personally I would have sticked with just Divinity 2. In my opinion the Ego Draconis addition doesn't make it a better title.

I tend to think of Divine Divinity as the originally intended Divinity: Sword of Lies (a much better name for it!). In that context, div2 : Ego Draconis has a similar naming pattern, and a nice symmetry.

journeyman
journeyman
Why did publisher decid to change the name into divine divinity?

Support
Support

I assume the name change was due to marketing or focus groups (someone thought the original name was too complicated, or that DD was cool, or catchy). I don't know if the publisher ever explained their reasoning (as I understand it they didn't even tell Larian about the rename in advance).

A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by juanpablo87
Why did publisher decid to change the name into divine divinity?

My own assumption is that they did it, because of the then similar-sounding good selling game by them, which was called "Sudden Strike".
I assume that someone at CDV just thought: Let's make another title with this naming pattern !

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
M
Macbeth Offline OP
Chronicler
OP Offline
Chronicler
M
Only, Sudden Strike made sense. wink

And so does Ego Draconis! kitty

I am in blood
Stepp'd in so far, that, should I wade no more,
Returning were as tedious as go o'er.
journeyman
journeyman
and so why did you not oppose them!?

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Macbeth
And so does Ego Draconis! kitty

Yes it makes sense and it takes someone with a degree in literature to explain that it does. Which means that a majority of those potential buyers that do not visit this thread probably don't have a clue what the title is about and might even avoid it. That or you end up with another range of articles and newsbits where the opening part is spent on the choice of names for Divinity instead of its content.

journeyman
journeyman
People avoid games, books, movies, because they don't know what the title means? If they are that shallow, we should name everything "The Awesome Greatness of Challenging Fun". I hear people like things that are awesome, great, challenging and fun. wink

A name is just a name. You know: "that which we call a rose/by any other name would smell as sweet."

veteran
veteran
the bestest game evar II: it pwnz all the other gamez

bit long, but the most awsomeness title for a game evah!

It's one of these days...
veteran
veteran
If I bought games because the names made sense I wouldn't own a ton of the games I do - starting with Divine Divinity, which is nonsense in any language and shows an embarrassing lack of literacy in whoever came up with it.

Even if you take 'divine' in the sense of 'find by investigation' it should still have been called 'Divining Divinity' in order to make sense.

Proper conjugation does not kill laugh

veteran
veteran
sorry for being under the radar, everyone! :P

i only saw this a few hours earlier & boy, what a good shock to the system it gave me. the trailer was truly drool inducing. grin

back on topic; i love the name Ego Draconis for the fact that it gives an aura of mystery (with that slight sci-fi feel too) to DD2. can i still call it DD2 for old times' sake? opa

now back off topic; where is Barta? frown

glad to see some of u again - Draggy, EK, Myrthos, Al, Raze, Rince, Lews.

aahh.... u too, Macbeth. grin

......a gift from LaFille......
addict
addict
Ah yes, but we are fans. We don't care what's the name of the game, we'll buy it anyway. Then again there are those who do care. You can believe that all the bickering about the Divine Divinity name in almost every review did not hurt the game, but I believe it did. I also think that there are plenty of people out there that don't consider buying a game because they think the name is silly and make the connection 'Stupid name = stupid game'. You will find enough responses on the internet to support this statement, also with respect to Divine Divinity.
Fortunately there will be enough people who don't care and are not that shallow and did buy Divine Divinity. Still it amazes me that there are marketeers who actually thought the name Divine Divinity was great. Maybe in Germany there are other marketing rules about branding.

Divinity 2: Ego Draconis as a name is an improvement over Divine Divinity. I don't know what the marketing logic is for a proper subtitle to a brand that has already been flamed for having a silly name. Somehow I think it should be a name that doesn't start similar discussions about the name again. Still the first comments are already there.

veteran
veteran
Hey Jang! smile

Agreed on the name thing - I love Ego Draconis. Sounds great smile

Edit: Myrthos - I really don't get your point. What is wrong with Ego Draconis?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard