Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#364579 02/07/09 04:16 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I'm just wondering.
Since the games coming in around 3 weeks in GERMANY.
When will the Achievements be released?

Support
Support

What achievements? Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought 'achievements' were basically participation ribbons to make people feel better about playing a repetitive, usually multi-player game with no plot.
evil

From what we know already, the quest and equipment system should be flexible and versatile enough that there is no need to add in some artificial goals or mechanisms outside of the gameworld, IMNSHO.

Raze #364603 03/07/09 12:57 AM
addict
addict
I'm not familiar with this concept. confused

Support
Support

As I understand it, not playing any games that use them, 'achievements' can range from being sort of like merit badges that you earn, to gold stars you get for trivial tasks. There are a variety of achievements (kill a thousand zombies, make it through a tough area avoiding fights or only using weak weapons, complete a set of items, explore an area or find hidden locations, etc.). The reward can be something such as a title (being referred to as '{name} the orc slayer' if you wipe out an orc encampment) or a listing in the game stats (similar to DD's traits page), or they can unlock equipment, quests or certain bonus areas in a game.

After a quick google search, I've learned that the Ghostbusters game has an achievement for knocking yourself down with your own weapon. World of Warcraft has one for killing 15 turkeys in 3 minutes, and another for using a bandage to heal a character with less than 5% of their hit points left.

Raze #364608 03/07/09 04:02 AM
addict
addict
Oh ok. Well that doesn't sound so bad. As long as they don't take the place of real quests. I think the game Fable had something like that, you perform random feats and people in towns recognize you for accomplishing them, etc.

old hand
old hand
Achievements are obligatory on the Xbox360 so we figured it might be nice to make them available for PC players also. There's a number of secret achievements and some of them relate to easter eggs.

Lar_q #364612 03/07/09 07:48 AM
apprentice
apprentice
cool, as long as it's not "go kill this".

Lar_q #364616 03/07/09 08:38 AM
Support
Support

I thought it was just boring games that needed such a gimmick, not the XBox360 as a whole. Apparently there are people who disagree with me, since a lot of people online seem to place some great value on their 'gamerscore' (as flawed a benchmark as it is).

Having achievements doesn't hurt anything, though. I just think that in a well designed game they are unnecessary (at best a minor feature). In principal they are an evolution of game design elements (such as hidden areas or bonus levels) and playstyles (speed runs, or lowest level finishes) that have existed pretty much as long as computer games. As a formal system, though, especially a 'tick box item' requirement, it seems more like a crutch for poor game design.

Raze #364618 03/07/09 09:22 AM
old hand
old hand
I actually agree with you though there is one side-benifit, on 360 the achievements allow developers to figure out how far players progressed in the game, leading to all kinds of interesting stats and the unavoidable follow=up discussions.

Lar_q #364623 03/07/09 09:49 AM
A
veteran
veteran
A
I think that it is a good decision to allow PC players have these "achievements" also, because there's few I hate as much as exclusivity for a certain platform only.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
Raze #364964 07/07/09 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Raze

I thought it was just boring games that needed such a gimmick, not the XBox360 as a whole. Apparently there are people who disagree with me, since a lot of people online seem to place some great value on their 'gamerscore' (as flawed a benchmark as it is).

Having achievements doesn't hurt anything, though. I just think that in a well designed game they are unnecessary (at best a minor feature). In principal they are an evolution of game design elements (such as hidden areas or bonus levels) and playstyles (speed runs, or lowest level finishes) that have existed pretty much as long as computer games. As a formal system, though, especially a 'tick box item' requirement, it seems more like a crutch for poor game design.

Agreed, achievements should always come as a reward for doing something interesting and fun in the game, not be a way to artificially increase the length of the game by giving silly and unreachable objectives. A perfect example of a game with flawed design that used achievements to save the day is Assassin's Creed. Given the (very) repetitive nature of the game, and the gimmicky achievements included in the game (find all "flags" in a city, kill every Templar, etc), I think it is a safe bet to say that these were most certainly after-thoughts, added at the last minute when the developers realised their game was a bit too empty. Actually trying to collect all flags is nothing but a chore.

Back to our beloved Divinity II, I can tell you that you will never have to go out of your way to get the achievements, some will come to you automatically as you reach certain key moments of the main story, and others for finding secrets and easter eggs as Lar mentioned. Don't worry, we won't make you kill 200 goblins or play for 24 hours without pausing wink Our achievements improve the gameplay, they don't compensate for it! smile

Axel #364970 07/07/09 02:59 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks Axel for the reassurance.
I'm not an achievement grabber.
Divinity II might be the second game I possibly get 1000G or at leas try.
I hate the AC Achievements they were so pointless and made you bored since the game like you said was repetative.
Glad you won't have ones like kill 200 Goblins etc.
Easter Eggss mmm wink

A
veteran
veteran
A
If there will be the same number and quality of easter eggs in it like in the other two games, then I'll be more than pleased ... biggrin

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
If there will be the same number and quality of easter eggs in it like in the other two games, then I'll be more than pleased ... biggrin

Why were that a lot.
I love secrets and Easter Eggs.

I guess the Achievements will be released when the game is.
Although somebody on the net might leak them, like they also do.

journeyman
journeyman
i found a screenshot with some achivements

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/6070/originalbhm.jpg

turi #365287 11/07/09 11:42 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Nice find mate.
Shame Its in German not going to spend my time translating the text lol

old hand
old hand
I'll try to translate some of them:

You have met Damian
You have killed Charlie the Goblin
You have said in Bellegars Holle that you ...(text goes offscreen)
You have put a spell on your creature(brought it to live? additionial enchantment?)
Can't translate the flag thingy one sorry frown
You have used the Dragonstone
You have found the Charm, can't translate the rest sorry
You have morphed into a Dragon

isorun #365290 11/07/09 12:49 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Tah for that.
I'm grateful for that.
Guess I'll have to wait until 24th for the full list.

isorun #365300 11/07/09 03:29 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by isorun
I'll try to translate some of them:
You have said in Bellegars Holle that you ...(text goes offscreen)

Is rather "In Bellegar's Cave you have shown that you...

You have put a spell on your creature(brought it to live? additionial enchantment?)

Is "You have summoned your creature".

Can't translate the flag thingy one sorry frown

"You send your 'Collector' (the person, that collects things for you, there should be a better word for him laugh ) on the way."

You have found the Charm, can't translate the rest sorry

"You have found the spell, that .... the hall .... " Sorry, if charm and spell means the same. hug

Just to make it more or less complete. ^^

"They say if you play the Windows XP CD backward, you can hear satanic words." - "Oh, that's nothing. If you play it forward it installs Windows XP...!"
turi #365321 11/07/09 05:55 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by turi
i found a screenshot with some achivements

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/6070/originalbhm.jpg

actually thers another bug on this screen...

why is the text cut off?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard