Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
What do we know about the next chapter based on the ending?

First off we know the Divine is not dead, but was rather imprisoned alive by Ygerna. Therefore we also know that the Dragon Knights didn't slay him. How did she managed this when she was dead?

You end up imprisoned like the Divine so you are not dead. There are also about 6 empty places in the prison, whatever that means.

The Divine being alive seems like a big deal because he's the only one that should be able to take on Damian, and if he gets freed, it's very likely, so will the dragon knight.

Rhode is still alive, as is Zandalor. Zandalor was really the main dupe Ygerna was after because he's the one that starts the whole "have to save her to kill him" lie.

One question I have is how did Ygerna piggyback on Talana making you a dragon knight? If you where the last it seems like the dragon knights are out of the game now.

Also is there any indication on how Damian is going to be stopped? I think of this ending as similar to The Empire Strikes Back, except it doesn't really setup any continuation, there's no glimmer of hope.

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Originally Posted by Magicpants
What do we know about the next chapter based on the ending?

First off we know the Divine is not dead, but was rather imprisoned alive by Ygerna. Therefore we also know that the Dragon Knights didn't slay him. How did she managed this when she was dead?

You end up imprisoned like the Divine so you are not dead. There are also about 6 empty places in the prison, whatever that means.

The Divine being alive seems like a big deal because he's the only one that should be able to take on Damian, and if he gets freed, it's very likely, so will the dragon knight.

Rhode is still alive, as is Zandalor. Zandalor was really the main dupe Ygerna was after because he's the one that starts the whole "have to save her to kill him" lie.

One question I have is how did Ygerna piggyback on Talana making you a dragon knight? If you where the last it seems like the dragon knights are out of the game now.

Also is there any indication on how Damian is going to be stopped? I think of this ending as similar to The Empire Strikes Back, except it doesn't really setup any continuation, there's no glimmer of hope.

That's my biggest complaint of this whole game too no good setup for a sequel and of course they offer no hope to the gamer, basically all hope is lost (aka trade-in game lol). I love how people are comparing this to The Empire Strikes Back ending because theres one thing that the movie has and the game doesn't and that is hope. Hope doesn't have to be all goody goody in the game it could be a foreshadow of some sort that might give the gamer some intrigue which could translate into some sort of hope for the gamer depending on how one looks at it.

B
stranger
stranger
B
I just finished the game, myself, and it's left me feeling frustrated and dissatisfied--enough that it quells most of the replay value, but I bought the PC version and if I sell it, it'll have to be on eBay. If there's a sequel, I will probably have to play it just to see if I can actually save the world next time around. But I'll be tempted not to because the ending here is just so... so... ARGH.

You're right--the PC makes Damian invincible by resurrecting Ygerna. Your Dragon Knight and the Divine are now trapped in some pocket dimension. That doesn't leave much hope unless somehow those two can bust free together or someone else finds out what happens and rescues them. Still, the fact that they are alive does leave some hope, I guess.

Probably, there won't be another Dragon Knight now (which stinks; some of the gameplay as a dragon was pretty cool). What I want to know is if Talana were really on the side of evil all along, since Ygerna was somehow able to possess her or transform into her. I don't expect that all Dragon Knights were evil, but you've just proven Rhode right about the Dragon Knights as of the ending. I think, however, that "Betrayed" might be a better term for your PC than "Betrayer."

As to the six empty spaces in the prison, maybe Damian has to capture six heroes to achieve... whatever he means to achieve. I have no idea what that may be.

As I told a friend: "What the heck did I get that tower built just for me for, why was I the last dragon knight, just for THAT? To destroy the world? But I worked so hard to save it." (And I imagine my character was saying something similar to the Divine while hanging in crystals in the pocket dimension.) We did get told in-game that the tower was built for the PC. Now why build that big tower for the PC who is then going to be trapped in a pocket dimension for all eternity? Maybe the truth is that Damian was meant to be the Dragon Knight, or that Maxos was a supporter of Damian. Maxos comes up in the game so often that I am suspicious that he might be somehow involved. Perhaps he became a god? I have no idea. I just know that after spending so many hours completing so many quests, the ending is a huge letdown, especially with no hope aside from the fact that my knight and the Divine are still alive--sort of.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I don't think Talana was in the evil side. As far as I remember, she didn't tell a word about Ygerna when she was still living. Zandalor was the first to speak about her, I guess Ygerna just took the opportunity. The hypothesis is confirmed by Lovis, who is a really bad guy as we learn later. I'm pretty sure he would love looking at Rivellon's destruction... I don't remember Talana suggesting to speak with him, but memories aren't fresh anymore.

About Battle Tower, the spirit of the island follows a prophecy. Laiken doesn't respect her, so she is happy we help her to get rid of him. Maybe the prophecy didn't mean to make us the master of the island, but to help us to free the future master's mate. Sure she wouldn't tell us that kind of truth... I don't remember who in the game told Laiken was more cruel than the Damned in person.

I have a hazy theory about Maxos. From his notes, we learned he was hiding a lot of things to his followers (Dragon Knights included). I believe he appeared to them as a good, wise man, that didn't mean he actually was one. Neither was the spirit of his island, that wanted you to sacrifice people in the name of the prophecy and of a machiavel-like theory. Patriach saw in him a thirst of power while asking the way to the Hall of Echoes. After what he vanished... okay, nothing "hazy" for the moment. It became really hazy when I thought Maxos could have become the Lord of Chaos oops anyway, don't take it serious!

"The Frenglais does déjà exist. Many gens are parling this langue" Barta
S
stranger
stranger
S
Just finished the game, and I have to admit it was a million miles away from what I expected and what the game was leading up to - which ultimately was a huge surprise and definitely made for a memorable ending for me.

It is frustrating though as a player, mainly because you can't quite tell where it all begins to go wrong as in you're being enormously misled and whatnot. One thing I haven't understood is, at the end is it Talana or Ygerna or was it always Ygerna?

For me, they've gone with a similar unexpected ending as what Assassins Creed went with, but have pulled it off a lot better providing there is plans for a sequel.

One way out I can foresee is that now the Divine One has a person with him of "considerable power" he could perhaps draw on his powers to infuse you and break out of the prison, but it depletes all your uber powers and you start out at level 1 kicking some chickens around for your early health sustinance!

There really does need to be a sequel to this, for me it was more enjoyable than Dragonage on the first play through, but the lack of a triumphant ending damages replayability but I'll still go through again as a mage as opposed to my last playthrough as a warrior.

My only complaint with the game was that with the noxious gasses left behind by the attacks of flying fortresses removed a huge potential scope for more side quests on the return to broken valley.

On another note, anyone know if we can expect any DLC for this?

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
They never explain how Ygerna makes contact with the player. The tricky bit is that she has a lot of knowledge that seems like it would be unique to Talana.

If Ygerna can contact people at will from beyond the grave you'd expect she'd contact Damian.

I'm starting to think the real kicker of the ending isn't that you lose, but that you lose without reasonable explanation. I fear the reason the ending isn't leading into anything is because they hadn't thought anything through.

Something else I'm wondering is what exactly does Talana give you Dragon Knight wise? Is seems that Dragon Knights are made not born so potentially anyone could become one.

E
stranger
stranger
E
Well, I just finished the game tonight. It is a good story, if a bit daft. Evil people destroying everything living. Trite story that really never has made any sense. If everything is dead then what do they plan to lord over? Especially since they are invincible and immortal. Living forever and being unable to destroy anything because they already destroyed it all. What an incomprehensible amount of boredom they have in store for themselves. Brilliant... Ok... Daft.

Larian if you are going to leave games in a cliffhanger then you had better have an expansion due 3 months after delivery and announced about 1 month after. Otherwise, you will lose people that will not like an ending in which they do everything to win, but lose in the end.

Personally I loved the gameplay and the story, however, I do not think I will buy the next installment because I know it wont be out for at least 2-3 years and the negative ending will ensure I will have no interest.

T
stranger
stranger
T
(Sorry if someone already wrote this...)

Big daddy Patriarch may not care to much with how short-lived mortals get smacked about, but I reckon he'll miss the PC. After all that particular trapped Dragon Knight was/is the very last one. Maybe he'll, er, 'feel' the PC's predicament, fly out and come to the rescue (torching a few fortresses on the way to clear his throat). He knows the way into the hall, he can do it.

Of course, it'll probably be about 400 years before he notices...

e- I really liked the ending. There was something beautiful about it. The love between Damian and Ygerna as the walk to the balcony of their flying tower to watch they armada float over a ravaged world. United they may now chase down Zandalor and have their revenge. Bittersweet, perhaps?... huh, no... no...

Last edited by Troll Chef; 19/01/10 09:32 PM.
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
I despised the ending. What Damian and Ygerna feel for each only mimics love. Love is not possible for any with the amount of hatred in their hearts. If they were true to their own character they would try to dominate each other and at some point come to blows. True evil, by its nature, always has a fatal weakness just waiting to be exploited and there are still several entities in the Rivalon universe who can exploit it. I had been looking forward to replaying it but no longer as the ending ruins it.

Bob

veteran
veteran
But WHY no love between Damian and Ygerna?
It's a fantasy RPG ... don't forget "fantasy" is MORE than a "reality" can include wink

But that's MY meaning of such RPG-fantasy smile.

In fact Ygerna is the one who awakens the evil side in Damian when he was a child. So I my opinion is Ygerna more evil and took she possesion of Daniam's mind or something... She learn him to hate and learn him bad things ... and his own father, Lucian, become the first victim of all her evil things! Ygerna is a Black Ring member from the Divine Divinity Age wink

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by erictg
Well, I just finished the game tonight. It is a good story, if a bit daft. Evil people destroying everything living. Trite story that really never has made any sense. If everything is dead then what do they plan to lord over? Especially since they are invincible and immortal. Living forever and being unable to destroy anything because they already destroyed it all. What an incomprehensible amount of boredom they have in store for themselves. Brilliant... Ok... Daft.

I don't think they have any domination purpose, I would bet more about rage and revenge feeling. Ygerna showed to Damian his evil side because the Divine One killed her father; Damian decides to destroy Rivellon because his father killed his lover. In Child of Chaos, Damian told Lucian, 'When you killed Ygerna, you took away my right to choose. And now there is no choice to be made anymore!' That's the point I think; the death his father isn't enought to make him pay for that murder, he wants to prove his father was deadly wrong. He wants to destroy everything the Divine One tried to save.

In that point of view, their evil love is leading to the destruction. I don't think that's going to separate them.

old hand
old hand
The Divine did kill Ygerna and this started the war, but it's not like Ygerna & Damian wouldn't have started a war to try & conquer the world to rule it, anyway.

enthusiast
enthusiast
We don't know because he did. Maybe Damian wouldn't have made that choice if Lucian would have spare her life... or maybe he would. The death of Ygerna forces him to join the evil side, but there was no fatality.

S
S
Well I thought that the biggest part of the blame rests on Commander Rhodes for not finishing the ritual and leaving the player exposed so Ygerna can manipulate him, from there it's all Ygerna needed to be resurected, and I am not sure they are immortal now, the soul forge is broken and they are mortals now

D
stranger
stranger
D
I had to register just to throw in a thought.

I see you folks have many theories about the next part, but you've missed the part that's kinda obvious. We know for sure that we will be able to continue with our character. That means the character has to be freed somehow. Now, in the game, you are a Dragon Knight. Who created Dragon Knights? Yes, Maxos! Where's Maxos now? Nobody knows for sure, but he went into the Hall of Echoes, which is exactly where you are imprisoned. Imo, that's the most obvious way to continue the game. Maxos, being the creator of Dragon Knights, comes and destroys the magic Ygerna created. After all, he is the greatest mage of all times, and he achieved some sort of ultimate magic power, a note from him says so. I might be wrong, but that seems like the most likely scenario. We don't know where his allegiances are, but Damian is terribly power hungry, and since the Patriarch says the same for Maxos, that spells trouble. The world is too small for two power hungry guys.

Last edited by deejayhr; 18/04/10 05:26 PM.
Support
Support

You are not imprisoned in the Hall of Echoes, but a different realm (see Macbeth's reply in the topic Unfinished Business ***(CAUTION spoiler)***).

Patriarch stopped before saying anything about what happened to Maxos, but kind of implied things didn't go so well. I'd guess someone would have to help him out before he would be in a position to save anyone else.

Welcome to the forum. wave

ok first of all you do get out,secound,talana isnt evil she did not know but you were used to free the damned ones "wife" and when you finaly find out that the damned one imprisoned the divine you learn that the dragon knight the stabed him was controlled. last-to me this is the most important becouse it tells that its not the end of the dragon knights.the patriark or what ever is still alive meaning he can still give the ability of takeing form of dragon to other people besides you meaning that when the flames of vengence comes out you may not be the last dragon knight out there.

Don't poke the fire. It might poke back!
C
C
Just to add more fuel to the fire. . .

I'm on my second play-through, and paying more attention to the 'hints' and whatnot now that I know the ending. Here's what I'm noticing.

There is no "proof" you ever really meet Talana-- she appears to you in a human form, however the carcass there afterward is dragon form??? So, makes me wonder (keeping in mind none of this really exists) if Ygerna didn't just use some sort of "blind" on the PC so as to not see Talana was already dead, then pretends to be Talana. We know that Ygerna is incredibly powerful, as she was Damian's TEACHER. There's also the little things that "Talana" says throughout the game that give indications everything is not as it seems. Example: in Nebarius' cave, when you get your creature, Talana says something about using a crystal skull to control your pet, and that's what she's doing with you "heheheh, just joking." But we know at the ending she's not joking.

I agree that Maxos has to come into play in the "next" one, because everything in DivDiv2 points to Maxos. Lovis surely hated Maxos because of being imprisoned, but he seems to actually leave. Laiken you kill, so he'd better not make a return! The Divine isn't dead... neither is your character... Maxos the greatest mage (and power-hungry) is missing, and there remains one living Ancient Race (true dragon). The Patriarch would have to come into play in the next one, because you don't really get to finish with him.

I say all this based solely in the "Divine Divinity" world-- not any other RPG, reality, etc. But for the sake of the game, everything has to come together, and conceivably, that doesn't mean "good" wins.

Whether the "Flames of Vengence" completes the story or is just another chapter remains to be seen-- either way, if it's as good as Divine Divinity (the first) and Ego Draconis, then I'll play it! The story telling is good, even if I don't like how things are working out at the moment!

Have a great day/night, all.

~~CierraShore

"I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer, I have LOTS of lives!"
R
stranger
stranger
R
Here is what I believe:
There is hope for you are still alive. That was the point of you being imprisoned.

The addon I think will feature you the dragon knight escaping with the help of the Divine,Zandalor or Maxos or whoever has the power to do it. I think that you will find a very changed landscape since you were stuck in a crystal for a while. Based on the news I read you will meet a resistance who will aid you in fighting Damian.

Judging the addon's name you will as the dragon knight finally kill his lover as vengeance.

journeyman
journeyman
I think that the whole being turned into a dragon thing really was Talana but not once during that entire conversation did she tell you to go find Lovis it was only after that "She" did. Next i think that the carcass of a dragon was because turning someone into a drgon is extremly Exhausting and she lived through her memories of being a dragon perhapsshe just died during them and since she was thinking of being a dragon she become one at death. I think Ygerna only started manipulating you after Talana died also I dont think Talana was already dead because even the slayers Reported her flying away after a particularly grevious blow Also i do think Talana was talkng to Damien because of all the times he could have killed you he didnt once after you became a dragon once after you killed the mage/dragon Thing that couldnt control his forms. And then a third time after you took the battle tower he couldve and takin out all resistance against him or at least all the good resistance but he didnt he chose to leave you alive For what Purpose to Thwart him again and Again i think not also The all seeing all knowing creater of life dragon who lives so long that the lives of humans are like a blink of an eye Implies that you would kill damien HES A FREAKING DRAGON
he could have killed damien a long time ago if he wanted to sorry i forgot to add there were four times when Damien could have killed you fourth one was after you met the Patriarch
Thank you For your Time

Where i come from ascesion to a higher rank is a simple assasination those who are Ranked Highest watch their Front their deaths come from thier back and they die naturally because a dagger in the back naturallyu ends their life.

I am not a safe place
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard