Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
stranger
stranger
I installed the K-Lite Codec Pack for windows 7 x64 and it removed some 'spoilt' codecs. I don't remember installing any codecs so i don't know how it got there smirk i can play the intro movie using windows media player but when i start the game i still can't get past the intro cinematics.

Hmmm, i updated my DirectX, PhysX, Visual C++, Drivers and all but it's still not working.

I'm running Windows 7 x64
ATI Radeon 5770
Gigabyte QuadCore i7-860 @ 2.93 GHz
4Gb Ram

Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited by socker; 26/01/10 03:24 PM.
Rolend Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Looks like it should be:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/co...Utilities&sc=File%20Conversion&os=32-bit

But I have zero experience with win7 thus far...and this was the 1st time I'd ever tried the K-Lite codec program.

If it causes you any issues you should be able to simply un-install it.

Might create a Restore Point just to be safe wink

But MS is saying it's compatible.

Good luck, hope it helps you!

Keep us posted smile

"believe in what gods you may, but TRUST in cold hard steel!"
Rolend Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by socker
I installed the K-Lite Codec Pack for windows 7 x64 and it removed some 'spoilt' codecs. I don't remember installing any codecs so i don't know how it got there smirk i can play the intro movie using windows media player but when i start the game i still can't get past the intro cinematics.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Try installing those codecs from wmp 9 that were posted earlier in the thread...

Not sure but maybe that will help. I was able to install one set but not the other.

-- Might try re-booting the comp so all the changes take effect???

Last edited by Rolend; 26/01/10 03:28 PM.

stranger
stranger
Haha seems like you're faster than me in replying frown

The wmp9 codec doesn't work on versions later than it as I'm using wmp 12.

I followed the First Aid though.

Last edited by socker; 26/01/10 03:29 PM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Rolend
Originally Posted by socker

Any ideas?

Thanks

Try installing those codecs from wmp 9 that were posted earlier in the thread...

Not sure but maybe that will help. I was able to install one set but not the other.

-- Might try re-booting the comp so all the changes take effect???

DOUBLE POST!!
uhh yeah i restarted but to no avail damnn i really wanna play badly after seeing how awesome you made it sound lol

Rolend Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Yea that sucks that you're still hanging at that point!

Maybe I got lucky...

I'm also using a Reg Cleaner to clean/delete all the left over junk that might be there.

Been using this program for years with no problem if you care to try it.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Besides that the only thing I think I've done besides what you've done is defrag the drive.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Rolend
Yea that sucks that you're still hanging at that point!

Maybe I got lucky...

I'm also using a Reg Cleaner to clean/delete all the left over junk that might be there.

Been using this program for years with no problem if you care to try it.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Besides that the only thing I think I've done besides what you've done is defrag the drive.

Yup ccleaner ftw! I have it and i run it ocassionally. Well i have to do another force shut down every time i try to run the game. I'm at my wits end!!!

Will it work if i swap the intro movie with a 1 sec clip in .wmv format?

stranger
stranger
Ah screw this i can't get it to work maybe till they fix the issues then i'll get to this game for now i just wasted my money. Why is this game so troublesome? I never ran into problems with other games other than this one ugh

Rolend Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I think other games use different programs to integrate the cut scenes instead of windows codecs. They probably went this way because the cost was cheaper than having to use a 3rd party program.

Swapping out the file might be worth a try...

I'd bet you're having a conflict somewhere...pretty hard to narrow it down.

I was going to wait till I did a fresh install of either my XP Pro or when I decide to get win7...so I hear ya wink

Hopefully there will be more info forthcoming and a patch or suggested work around soon!

Good luck!

As irritating as it is I'd still say hold on to the game, at some point you should be able to run it and it IS a lot of fun smile

stranger
stranger
Haha thanks anyway for the help laugh

Greatly appreciated!

enthusiast
enthusiast
you can try deleting intro.wmv from the video dir

not saying that will help you if your codecs wont play _any_ vids in the game, but it will help you get past the first movie.

W
stranger
stranger
W
Nice to see so much research on this annoying error. Trying the K-lite pack now, it did find 2 broken codecs (one of them being some Blizzard codec, so i doubt that was the problem). Reinstalling DD from steam now to see if anything has changed.

A
stranger
stranger
A
1st post - yay me.

I had a similar problem, it's a common theme in Windows 7 for some reason.
My cinematics audio was working, but not the in-game sound.

Here's how I fixed it.

It happens with X3: Terran Conflict, all the Elder Scrolls games and a bunch of others...

Simply go into your "all programs" menu from the start button, the FFDSHOW folder and in both the Audio and Video decoder settings application in there, go into the Direct Show option in the menu on the left - it will update the right hand side of the whole dialog box.

There you will see "don't use FFDSHOW in: " Simply click the Edit button next to it and browse to your Divinity II exe. Hit apply - will work properly from there on in.

FFDSHOW is usually in every codec pack you can d/l. Klite or Shark007 (which I use), and many more.\
It's a common problem with alot of games these days. Pain in the fricking bum if you ask me.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Also everyone should note that if you are running 64 bit windows you need the 64 bit codecs.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Codecs-frequently-asked-questions

I personally have only DivX, Nero 10, and PowerDVD (for blu-ray) installed and have never had any problems playing any video file format. I am running Windows 7 x64 Pro.

Reality is but a shadow of one's imagination, is it not?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard