Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40780 19/03/03 06:30 AM
Raze Offline OP
Support
OP Offline
Support

Restoration potions can be much better than Health or Mana potions. One healing + one mana gives a restoration potion (alchemy level 1 to mix potions). I know alchemy is a reward for completing a quest in the dark forest, but I wish I had switched to using restoration potions sooner than I did. One spell point in alchemy early in the game would not be a mistake (it's not essential, but certainly not a mistake).

Alchemy skill levels:
1 - mix potions together (any size)
2 - extract minor potions from herbs
3 - extract normal potions from herbs
4 - extract super potions from herbs
5 - use augmentor herbs to boost the potion level, from minor to normal

See also; Kiya's ALCHEMY SPOILER THREAD

Comparison of health/mana/restoration potions:

• 1 minor healing = 40 health
  • 1 minor mana = 40 mana
  • 1 minor restoration = 50% of health and mana
As long as you have more than 80 vitality and magic, restoration potions give more bang for the buck. At level 40, a minor restoration gave me 606 health and 244 mana. Even if you just need health (or just mana) after you have 160 in vitality (or magic), restoration potions become more effective.

Potions are cheap and gold easy to come by. However, if you run into a tough area, would you rather hit the F1 key (or whatever you assign) madly 10 times to use healing potions faster than you are being hit, or once or twice to use a restoration potion?

• 1 normal healing = 100 health
  • 1 normal mana = 60 mana
  • 1 normal restoration = 100% of health and mana
NOTE: normal and super restoration potions both restore 100% health and mana. It would therefore be rather silly to buy super health, mana or restoration potions. Keep/use any such super potions you find, but just buy normal ones.

• 1 super healing = 200 health
  • 1 super mana = 80 mana
  • 1 super restoration = 100% of health and mana
If you are a mage, that 80 for a super mana potion really sucks, even more than the 200 health does for a melee character.

Keep any rings, amulets, etc. you find with alchemy +1. Empty flasks are cheaper, and there are mushrooms and rotting food all over the place if you use poison weapon or poison skin. Red / blue herbs are around as well, though not as many, for making health / mana potions (then mixing for restoration).

K
apprentice
apprentice
K
This is me being really stupid I think, but how the frig do you pick up the herbs/mushrooms? I click/drag on them but they dont do anything!

stranger
stranger
I'm new to the game, but when I saw your question I went to my last savegame and invested a point in Alchemy.
Then I hovered an empty flask over some blueish mushrooms and the mushrooms disappeared. I think even the flask disappeared, and my character said: 'I'm obviously not skilled enough for this.'

So the picking up bit will have something to do with hovering an empty flask over them, but for successful Alchemy we'll need to know a little bit more. Have you tried the search option yet? Hopefully a more experienced alchemist will chime in...

Raze Offline OP
Support
OP Offline
Support

You can not pick up mushrooms. If you stand beside mushrooms, certain plants, rotten food, etc, you can drag and drop an empty flask (or stack of flasks; only one will get used) onto it to create a potion. Level 1 of Alchemy allows you to mix potions, while level 2 lets you create minor potions (see the alchemy topic link above).

KillingMoon, the mushroom shouldn't have disappeared if you didn't have a high enough level to create a potion. The flask should have gone back into your inventory.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Raze
KillingMoon, the mushroom shouldn't have disappeared if you didn't have a high enough level to create a potion. The flask should have gone back into your inventory.
I just tried it again; just hovering the flask doesn't make anything disappear, but if I hover and let go, then both the mushroom and the flask disappear, and at that moment my character sighs 'Ugh, I'm obviously not skilled enough to do this.' Must be the way it's disigned.
Regretfully I didn't have another skill point to invest to see how to do it the right way. Anyway, thanks to your help, the question is now certainly answered!

C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
That's because you are at level 1 (or I assume) zero; at level two, the vile will be filled with a minor potion (I didn't know this ten minutes ago - Raze has a chart further up this thread).

M
mk1 Offline
stranger
stranger
M
Intrestingly I found out (by trying in game) that
small potions made at crafting LVL 2 gave:
Mana 40
Health 40

!! but small Potions made at crafting LVL 3 gave:
Mana 60
Health 100

=> this is the same as normal potions I brewed at crafting LVL 3 !
I made them at the same time with the same ingredients (except the seize of bottles) and tested afterwards.

and it is actually the same effect for 1/3 of weight!

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard