Next Thread
Print Thread
L
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Hello everyone,

I just recently started playing this game and I have really enjoyed it so far. I am still at the beginning I think, broken valley. My questions have spoilers for that area though I hope that is okay.

My problem is this, I am a 2 handed warrior, and I just finished the quest under the chapel. I have also done a bunch of quests and cleared all of the goblins and boars in the area and the underground. I am now level 5. After the chapel crypt quest I was kind of left without a main quest so I went back to the other quest I had, help the priest with Lovis' tower. As I was heading to the tower I walked into that farm and Richard tried to steal some pigs, I tried to stop him but he was level 10 and killed me fast. So I skipped that area and kept going the only way I could. I seem to have progressed the story down there as I met the dragon and became one myself.

The problem is, after that whole fun cutscene and meeting the wizard, everything now is level 7 and 8 and beats me up in a few hits. I am dieing everywhere I turn. Have I missed a section where I should have leveled up more? I was able to beat some level 7 skeletons, but needed to eat after every fight. I can't beat the level 8 skeletons or the goblin chief at all, and the troll is way out of the question.

I am usually good at RPG games, but I seem hopelessly lost on this one now laugh Thanks in advance! Sorry for all my wordyness.

Support
Support

Head back through the canyon and finish off any areas or quests in the beginning section of Broken Valley. I got a quest to save the pigs from the farmer in the village. If you talk to Richard in town first, you may have an option to do the quest in a different way (if you turn down the 'feast or famine' quest, then at the farm you can either side with Richard or the New Order guards). Even if you take the side of the New Order, it may help if you switch to a bow, and let the soldiers handle the melee part of the fight (assuming they last very long; don't recall what level they were).

Have you talked to everyone in town? At the start, for example, Louis (main room in the guard tower) doesn't have much to say to you, but offers you a quest after you've done some other stuff (you can mindread a prisoner to get the required information, but solving the quest that way just eliminates experience and loot from doing it the proposed way).

There is no rush to get to Lovis' tower, despite Talana's nagging.
At level 7 I was able to use a bow to take out the level 8 skeletons at the main (locked) gate of the tower (switching to melee when they got close), with several strategic retreats to heal behind the large tree down hill. As long as you get one or two of them each attack, the next approach will be easier. After that I continued south east to clear the level 6/7 goblins, and the first couple level 9 bandits.
The bandits were too tough in large groups, so I went west of the place you meet the dragon knight, and up the northern path through the mountains (and level 6/7 goblins). Farther west I cleared partly towards the passage to Maxos temple (at level 8 or 9 I could take out the level 11 black ring members one or two at a time), then decided to leave that area and clear out the derelict tunnel (the two goblin entrances already cleared above ground). After that I finished off the skeletons around Lovis's tower. I kept exploring, though, and did a fair bit before actually entering the tower.

Welcome to the forum. wave

L
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Thank you very much Raze! That helped bunches smile!

Since I had to go back I went and bought a better sword and a helmet, that seemed to help a bunch too laugh

ooo also one more question, is there a rule of thumb for picking quest rewards? I think I made some bad choices in the past on things. (Like a shield, then I realized that was dumb :P)

Should I always pick the extra exp?

Last edited by LiddaBit; 11/04/10 10:51 AM.
Support
Support

Experience is probably the best reward, but if something is offered that is a significant upgrade, taking an item once in awhile (especially at the start) is not going to have a huge effect.

I pretty much always selected experience when that was an option. I did take a nice amulet with a Wisdom bonus once, rather than experience, but I used it from close to the end of Broken Valley to near the end of the game, so probably came out ahead on experience. Near the start I did one of the quests at the farm so I got slightly less experience, but got a good necklace that I used for awhile.

D
stranger
stranger
D
im not new to the game but i just cant take out the skeletons at lovis's tower what do i do.

Support
Support

Take out the goblins first (along the mountains south east of the tower, and then west of the place you meet the dragon knight and up the northern path through the mountains), and then clear the derelict tunnels. That should raise your level and make the skeletons easier.

Also, if you have not checked any merchants since the last time you leveled up, you could check them now, and see if you can upgrade any equipment.

L
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Thanks again for your help Raze! I am now level 20 and just got my tower. Holy bananas is this game addictive laugh!

I havn't really enjoyed a RPG like this since Gothic 2 smile

Last edited by LiddaBit; 14/04/10 05:17 AM.
veteran
veteran
Nice to read something like this smile
For me this game is really very addictive yeah! That's always the reason I stop playing for awhile! Otherwise my house is going a ramp biggrin :hihi:
(and a big work I must do after long playtime hahaha ... something like "Helping the Cook" in Stormfist Castle - see: Divine Divinity)
laugh

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
D
stranger
stranger
D
i took out the skeletons now i cant find lovis i only found carlin i used the stone but that only puts me n his dungeon with a phsyco ghost and abominations

veteran
veteran
You must find another door, lower on the tower than where you met Carlin to go in!
If you go to the Teleporter Shrine where you jump on platform and used a lever to open that first gate .. from there go up the way above and go through all opened gates! (all gates go open with using a lever!) ... Then you comes on a door (without using any ladder!)

Success wink

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
Support
Support

Just past the gates opened by the 4 dragon statues and the pressure plates, the path diverges; if you keep left you spiral upwards to reach Carlin, and sticking to the right leads down to Lovis.

In the dungeon with the ghost and abominations, you can get a skill book, and a stat point from mindreading the ghost.
When you lower the chains and are offered 4 obvious equipment choices, a skill book near the start is also lowered within reach. You can only take one item.

veteran
veteran
Thanks Raze, I think your explenation is more clearly done than mine :hihi:

Last edited by Joram; 14/04/10 10:00 PM.

D
stranger
stranger
D
I can't get the third and forth pressure plates to work at the top of Lovis' tower. What am I doing wrong?

Support
Support

Are you pressing the plates in order from the ladder up to the gate?

Someone else had a problem with these plates not activating properly when they remapped the 'interact' button to the mouse scroll wheel; it worked after they changed that.

lovis tower dragon statue puzzle (possible spoiler

G
journeyman
journeyman
G
Try using the "Summon Undead" Skill and getting a partner this way to help you in the early stages before you can make a creature. I am an older gamer and I find this skill really helps to get me throught this area before I am at a higher level.

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard