Print Thread
#410738 10/04/10 03:05 PM
B
Bhearus Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
Lots of the gameplay mechanics of this game were great. I enjoyed for the most part the combat minus the constant need to pause and drink a pot, but I enjoyed that fine.

Story was great up until the end. There is no indication throughout the story that you're actually helping Damian and there is no options to turn the tide against him. There are plenty of other ways to lead into a sequel that do not involve making it clear that everything the player did was completely pointless.

Let me get this straight... The player becomes so powerful that he can take on Ba'al in human form, the Divine, the wizard, and a bunch of paladins by himself, but is instantly stuck in a crystal forever with no means to stop it? Please... Clearly the game designers missed a step somewhere.

Where are the options to CHOOSE?! Basically a common place in RPGs nowadays and completely missing from this game.

This reminds me of a bad kung fu movie where the master dies in front of the hero, he melts into nothing but a puddle of water, and then comes back later in the movie saying, "Ha! I fooled you!" That's how this looks, no indication from the female dragon knight who gives you her power that she is a nasty spirit from the underworld.. How is that possible anyway? If the female Dragon Knight was alive then she certainly wasn't Damian's girlfriend, and if she was, she's still alive apparently. How idiotic!

No scenes of the aftermath of the major city, did it get rebuilt? Can't we help do that? In this ending everything is destroyed... Again, this concept that people are looking for a bad ending is ludicrous, that's a matter of self-reflection, do you really feel everything is going to end? Or do you have some hope for the future?

Try again folks, this was like a great book right up to the end then you ruined it. Happens all the time but I'll admit the game was quite fun for the most part and challenging. However, you have to close the ending at 100% not 50%, because then the rest of the game becomes 50%.

Try again.

Guess you don`t know, but there`s an expansion coming, so it didn`t end, it was pretty clear that it`s not the end of our Dragon knight when he was trapped.

...........................::ALIVE::..........................

DeviRyuuD(Myojinoir) Reviews here
Support
Support

Damian was letting you live for a reason. Leaving you to henchmen once is understandable, but after the second time that should have raised some questions. After talking to the dragon Patriarch, Damian even calls you a pawn, though was unaware of how much so.

Does every story have to have a happy ending? Does every choice you make have to have only the intended consequences? Does the information you have to make a decision always have to be complete and accurate?

You defeat Ygerna's memory of Zandalor and the Divine. Also, you are only temporarily stuck in the crystal, as that is where the add-on continues from.

Talana gives you her power after she shows you a vision, then she dies and you pass out. By the time you wake, Ygerna has taken advantage of your weakened state (incomplete ritual) to insinuate herself in your mind, to impersonate Talana and guide you to her own ends.

Sometimes things get worse before they get better. Aleroth is opened up in the add-on (no mention has been made about the harbour, or other locations) and you will be able to act against Damian without Ygerna's misguidance. Presumably he will not be completely defeated until Divinity 3, though (the story was originally designed as a trilogy).

Welcome to the forum. wave

"There is no indication throughout the story that you're actually helping Damian"

Well there actually is (or perhaps are) an indication that Talana is not so nice as you think she is. After you've brought back the crystal skull in Broken Valley and you obtain your pet, she says something like: "now you've got your own little pet and I've got mine... haha.. joke"

I only noticed it the second time I played, but Im sure there must have been more of those indications. Anyone else saw one?

veteran
veteran
I was wondering every time I played and "hear" the voice of Talana and then hear the voice of Ygerna!! So a recognizable similarity!!

Also I FEEL how much Ygerna want to be back alive by her lover Damian so fast as possible!
Something in the voice (thinking she is Talana!) of Ygerna betray that she is TOO impatient and also something I can't explain "why" I feel she's a bad girl ...

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
B
Bhearus Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
I wonder if this is going to become a common thing in the gaming community, trilogy games that do not end or have some kind of conclusion that is positive. What frustrates me the most is all the things I did within the game really didn't matter because Damian swept through and wiped everyone out anyway.

Yes, it was entertaining, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and, I am playing it through again because yes I really enjoyed the game.

Also, if I defeat Stone before getting 'Black Ring's Ring' then I cannot complete the quest. I recommend in the expansion to leave it possible to complete quests regardless of the circumstances. In fact, some quests in the game are like this but many are not.

I also think the Malachite Gem thing should be much more available... I was not able to complete even one level 10 enchantment at the end which was a real bummer.

Anyway, thanks for not flaming.

Support
Support

Would you prefer self contained games that always have a happy ending, but then for the sequel a cult forms to resurrect the previous badguy, you find out there was an even bigger badguy the previous one was working for, or an evil apprentice decides to take over the plan for world domination / destruction? Whether it is time or circumstance, if you save the world, something has to undo all your previous work if a sequel is to allow you to save it again.

I had lots of malachite gems (reloading at each of the veins), but didn't bother with level 10 enchantments (other than a few healing auras throughout the game) since the level 9 enchantments offered almost the same effect. I do think each malachite vein should have at least 1 gem, though.

B
Bhearus Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
Originally Posted by Raze

Would you prefer self contained games that always have a happy ending, but then for the sequel a cult forms to resurrect the previous badguy, you find out there was an even bigger badguy the previous one was working for, or an evil apprentice decides to take over the plan for world domination / destruction? Whether it is time or circumstance, if you save the world, something has to undo all your previous work if a sequel is to allow you to save it again.

There are plenty of ways to make a trilogy entertaining that doesn't involve saving the world 'every' single time. Although, additionally you can do that too I see no problem with that.

No offense, but this is incredibly narrow-minded, yes I expect a happy ending that's what we fight for in those games if you want to 'include' an ending like this then it should be a dual path good or bad. I think the day of 'bad endings only' has been over for a while, now, games are adapted to include moral decisions with consequences allowing for multiple paths but generally two, good and bad. This game is literally missing an entire side of development in favor of a negative ending.

I'd like to add that it isn't a 'bad' ending it is a 'negative' ending. The ending was well done even if I didn't like it.

veteran
veteran
I thought the ending was hilarious myself. I loved it.

When you set out into the open of Sentinel Island and see the Battle Tower for the first time, the Battle tower is so huge. The ending was like a giant middle finger as tall as the tower. It was awesome. I'm not being sarcastic or passive-aggressive, I honestly thought it was funny how everything you did ended up being terrible or worthless.

These are major spoilers for the other games:

Divine Divinity:
After you become the Divine One, The Demon of Lies ills most of the Council of Seven, and sends thousands of demons to attack the kingdom you just spent 20 hours saving from villainy. Then at the end, you fail at the last minute to stop the ritual to bring back the Lord of Chaos. And you then fail to kill the Lord of Chaos merely because of the shell it's wearing.

Beyond Divinity:
The entire game from start to finish is a Xanatos gambit to get the player to willingly take Damian, disguised as a Death Knight back to Rivellon. After the reveal, there's a boss fight, and after you win, defeating Damian, you RUN AWAY through a rift. After you WIN the fight.

That's why the ending to Divinity 2 is such a "Larian ending". It's what they do. smile

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Stabbey

That's why the ending to Divinity 2 is such a "Larian ending". It's what they do. smile

They give us water in the flower pot without using trumpets

Last edited by ForkTong; 15/04/10 12:44 PM. Reason: Language
Q
stranger
stranger
Q
I couldn't disagree more. I wish more games had the balls to end with such a dark and sinister ending. So many games give you this cheesy fairytale ending but then in the next game everything hits the fan for no reason. At least in Divinity it's obvious that the story needs to continue.

Also this isn't Mass Effect. If you want a game where you can play it in any direction you want go buy that game. These developers want to tell a clear story and so that's what they did I don't think they should have to be the same as other games.

Once again I disagree with the combat. I felt the combat was really lacking as a melee character since there was essentially no control over your survival once you got into combat you just had to have a character with higher stats than your enemy and hope the dice rolled in your favor. I mind read everyone I ran into so I probably was missing a level or two so to survive combat I mostly just exploited the A.I.'s stupidity, guzzled down potions constantly and kept casting heal on myself. I also used jump attack a ton just because it got me out of combat for a second.

That said this game really did make me feel like I was becoming powerful after I got the battle tower. I picked up this game on a suggestion without looking at a single preview, without being hyped up at all or anything so the whole experience was a very pleasant surprise and I enjoyed it greatly even with my complaints about combat. It's a nice little RPG fix (which is so needed these days with all the FPS games constantly coming out).

S
stranger
stranger
S
Everyone is missing the intention of the origional poster, instead blindly defending the ending by calling it "bold" and "extreme".

It's hilarious how far people are off the mark... "what, you didn't get your happy ending? gonna cry baby? huh?"

Nobody has a problem with bad endings, people have a problem with RPG games that only give you the illusion of choice. Yes, it's always possible for things to end horribly, but you should be able to shape the outcome based on how you progress through the game as a character. Divinity 2 has only ONE ending, you can fart around the entire game and it would ALWAYS end the same way.

It's still a crappy ending, but atleast they're fixing it with the Expansion.

Last edited by SpikeA; 11/04/10 12:41 PM.
B
Bhearus Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
Originally Posted by SpikeA
Everyone is missing the intention of the origional poster, instead blindly defending the ending by calling it "bold" and "extreme".

It's hilarious how far people are off the mark... "what, you didn't get your happy ending? gonna cry baby? huh?"

Nobody has a problem with bad endings, people have a problem with RPG games that only give you the illusion of choice. Yes, it's always possible for things to end horribly, but you should be able to shape the outcome based on how you progress through the game as a character. Divinity 2 has only ONE ending, you can fart around the entire game and it would ALWAYS end the same way.

It's still a crappy ending, but atleast they're fixing it with the Expansion.

Thank you, my point exactly.

Q
stranger
stranger
Q
Well since you said "everyone", SpikeA, I'm going to continue as if you were talking to me. I don't believe I missed the original posters intention at all I just didn't agree with it.

I respect that you, Bhearus, would like to change the outcome of the game depending on what you did but like I said this isn't Mass Effect.
The developers of this game obviously want to tell a straight narrative in their games. One that they can cite in later games as hard facts about what happened. If you could have a good or bad ending then what do they say happens in the lore in Divinity 5 on the Sega 360ps5 (that's just a theoretical console, obviously).

Obviously there ARE ways to do this but this is how they chose to do it. I'm not saying you have to like it but you shouldn't expect them to do it the way you would want to. You bought the product and by the sounds of it, your going to buy their next product too. Money speaks louder than words in this case.

There are linear and open games for a reason. Different flavors for different people.

old hand
old hand
For what it's worth - people who see the ending of Flames Of Vengeance smile - It's a welcome change to receiving death threats smile

old hand
old hand
Death threats.
Wow some people have no life.

M
stranger
stranger
M
I just wish I could have been evil the whole game instead of helping people the whole time. Definitely would of been nice to have some choices.

Support
Support

There are a few evil choices available, though not that have a huge impact on the game as a whole. Sometimes you can extort or threaten to get a better reward, though often you get just as good of a result being nice.

Welcome to the forum. wave

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by momofosho44
I just wish I could have been evil the whole game instead of helping people the whole time. Definitely would of been nice to have some choices.

Actually, this game is a step forward in letting you be evil, compared to earlier games where the options tended to be "Be nice and solve the quest" or "don't take the quest and miss out on experience and rewards!

How many "evil option" quests were there in Divine Divinity or Beyond Divinity? I can't think of many.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard