Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
guy2012 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
So, I go through the entire game and all it's frustrations only to come to an ending that SUCKS! There should have been TWO endings but...(I will refrain from telling you what I think of Larian Studios for this piece of garbage.) It was a good concept and the graphics were cool; the dragon stuff was pretty fun, but in the end it just wasn't worth the effort. Divinity III will not become a part of my library that's for sure.

Support
Support

I liked the ending. If a sequel is planned anyway (as in this case) you might as well have a cliffhanger ending as a fake happy ending, and then come up with a pretense to undo all the stuff you though you finished in the previous game. It's fairly cliché to start a sequel with an evil apprentice of the former badguy, a cult forming to resurrect him/her, or a revelation that they were just working for an even bigger badguy, etc.

It's not like there wasn't any hint of the ending (Damian was leaving you alive for something). There was discussion of the game during development about moral dilemmas, and designing quests so there wasn't necessarily the classical good and evil choices, just choices and consequences. While the actual quest design kind of fell short of theory (theory not being restricted by time or resources), the plot/ending certainly held true to those design principles.

In any case, you can continue with your dragon knight in the add-on (once it is released), so the ending is not the end of the character.

Ending........

What does the ending tell us? *spoilers*

stranger
stranger
Hi,

Well I didn't like the ending at all either. I mean, it's not the fact that it's not a happy ending. It's more that you feel frustrated and silly. If you decided to play a nice guy (it's an RPG), I think the end of the game should make you kind of proud of your success.
In Divinity 2, you feel ashamed. And you don't have the possibility of playing better to get a better ending.

You feel really tricked.
Buy the way, how is it going to work with the extension since the game really stopped at the end ? (I'm playing on a PC). It's going to be a new "start" ? Or will we need to use an old save games of Divinity 2 to get the new quests ?

Some reviews I wrote (in French) :
* Review of Ego Draconis
* Review of Dragon Knight Saga
Support
Support

The add-on continues seamlessly from the end of the game. You can continue with a previous save, or create a new character.

Apparently the add-on has a 'good' ending (though I assume you don't completely finish off Damian, or there wouldn't be much to do in Divinity 3).

stranger
stranger
will there be a # three or just the add on in Aug/Sep, cause the ending has got me wanting a lot more... and im wondering how the story will continue

Last edited by 123zdoug; 24/04/10 01:57 AM.
Support
Support

A part 3 is planned, at least (and hopefully there will be more after that). The original story line was conceived of as a trilogy (Divine Divinity being part 1, with Beyond Divinity a spin-off set in the realm where Damian was exiled before getting back to Rivellon to start the war that supposedly killed the Divine One).

can someone sum up the story

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Raze

The add-on continues seamlessly from the end of the game. You can continue with a previous save, or create a new character.

Apparently the add-on has a 'good' ending (though I assume you don't completely finish off Damian, or there wouldn't be much to do in Divinity 3).

My guess for the good ending is pretty logical.

You may not be able to defeat Damian, but Y'Gerna is another story. I imagine defeating her will be the good ending. It is Flames of Vengeance, and Y'Gerna is the one who the main character wants to have vengeance on, if only slightly more than on Damian.

veteran
veteran
Indeed logical wink
Y'Gerna is the one who learned Damian very bad evil things .... because SHE is one from the evil "Black Ring" we must fight as the Divine in div !!

Last edited by Joram; 24/04/10 04:49 PM.

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
journeyman
journeyman
I am happy with the ending now that there will be an expansion. Before that was announced I was annoyed with the ending.

eze Offline
stranger
stranger
i dont know with the exp but im kind of angry with this ending all the hours for nothing, i think im going to throw the cd to the window... see ya

veteran
veteran
Where is that "window" eze?
If you throw the cd out of your window, let us know "where" ....

wink

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Originally Posted by eze
i dont know with the exp but im kind of angry with this ending all the hours for nothing, i think im going to throw the cd to the window... see ya

So you had no fun playing the game all those hours just because you did not like how the game ended?

Wow, I hope you do not go to a movie enjoy all the action and killing stuff and then tell the theatre manager you would like your money back because you did not like the ending!

E
stranger
stranger
E
Just completed the game and i feel the same as the topic says.

Damn i really wanted to kick ass of the big bad guy.
All the hours of doing epic quests just to get tricked at the end, harakiri time frown

eze Offline
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by The Outfield
Originally Posted by eze

So you had no fun playing the game all those hours just because you did not like how the game ended?

Wow, I hope you do not go to a movie enjoy all the action and killing stuff and then tell the theatre manager you would like your money back because you did not like the ending!

no, i enjoyed the game but the ending was very lame and only 1 ending

Support
Support

Multiple endings for a game prohibit having the plotline continue in a sequel with the same characters. You can have the same characters in a new plot, or the same plot with a long enough time delay to make the previous endings irrelevant. To continue the same story there would need to be multiple beginnings for the sequel, which all converge into the same plotline fairly quickly (or you would basically be writing multiple games). If you can have a sequel with various history books and plot line summaries in conversations, etc, and just gloss over the previous game's multiple endings, then there couldn't have been much difference between them, in which case there isn't much point in having them.

C
C
Greetings!

I didn't find the "ending" to necessarily be a disappointment, but that could be because I already heard that an add-on was coming out. Aside from that, when I saw the "ending," I also saw another beginning! I practically screamed "No, no no! I want the next one! Where's the sequel???" but it wasn't a 'bad' fit, it was a cross between a childish tantrum and youthful determination/expectation. hehe

The idea of "multiple endings" that people have suggested in the forums (this is not the only thread about it) baffles me-- I can recall only one RPG I've played that really did have a different ending depending on which side you took (basically "good" or "evil"). As far as I know, the ending of unnamed game is the final of that trilogy, so it would make sense there could be multiple endings. But, if you have multiple endings for each game in a series, how can there be a coherent story-line? That would be extremely difficult as far as writing a story goes (think of the "choose your own adventure" books), but to do that with a multiple game story? That's a whole lot of work for one person (MacBeth) to do, particularly from a small-ish studio!

Perhaps many people (I know USA people in particular) have gotten away from the tragic comedies of old, and have difficulty accepting anything other than a straight-forward "good guy always wins" type of ending to anything. Personally, I like peeking at the darker side of things, the reality of unreality (movies, books, games)... it's in that darkness that we can learn. What's there to learn if "the good guy always wins?" And, who really is the "good guy?" Kali might like to say she was on the 'good' side, and her sister on the 'bad'-- it's a matter of perspective, in a sense.

Just wanted to give some food for thought, and to let the folks at Larian know there are some hardcore fans who are ready to accept what they have to deliver. . . even if it's not in "big studio" style! Well, you have at least one fan!

All best,

CierraShore

"I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer, I have LOTS of lives!"
journeyman
journeyman
I liked the surprise but then sometimes something dark just makes it more interesting. A bland..hero saves the day ending would have been okay but this is something unexpected, it makes sense to the story as well. Instead of now feeling a sneaking sympathy for Damian over his loss of Ygerna and feeling bad that she died by the end you want to rip both their guts out which leaves it perfect for the next installment. The ending was very moving knowing those poor souls who fought Damian are all going to be obliterated.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Raze...

For me to have liked this ending, I would have had to have been privy to the information that this was a trilogy before I bought the game.

As it is, I'm just a player who picked up a random rpg that looked good, and seemed good, until I got to the ending.

The ending was like a giant middle finger from the developer, right at the end. You think to yourself, "Maybe I didn't click through the conversation at the end with zandalor in the proper manner" so you go back and try all of the different chat options. Then you think to yourself "well, maybe I wasn't good enough in the game or I didn't do something right in the game, and this is just the bad ending". So you go online and find out that you've just been screwed out of 40 odd hours of gametime, because that's the end. that's it.

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER GAME FROM THIS DEVELOPER.

And Raze, how funny is it that it's absolutely obvious that you are a paid admin, and that you're trolling the boards supporting the game? 12,000 posts? jeebus. Your opinion is not based on reality, it's based on a paycheck.

Support
Support

I didn't know the plotline was conceived of as a trilogy before I played the game, but I did know there would need to be another game to finish the story.
I've seen movies and read books where the badguy wins in the end, without that having a mojor influence on the overall quality (in fact for one particular movie I recall, the badguy winning raised it above what could have been a well done but somewhat cliché hero tracks down the demon / serial killer type plotline, and made it a better story).

The fact that you were emotionally involved enough in the plot for the ending to have that much of an effect is arguably a sign of a good ending. If you need a happy ending where everything works out perfectly and you are guaranteed never to fail, even temporarily, then you should do some research for making random RPG purchases.

My opinion is based on my opinion.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Do some research before making random RPG purchases? ok, lol. yeah, I should have researched THE SPOILERS. Yeah. I should have looked ahead of time to find out what the ending was so that I wouldn't be disappointed in it.

Yeah. I should have done that. der der der.

and btw, no, it doesn't mean it's arguably a good ending that I was that disappointed at the end. It makes it arguable that it was a good game. The ending sucked.

Last edited by mojokabobo; 24/05/10 09:41 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard