Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Lar_q Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
>> Now we have this also coming in October. My question is, have RPG developers gone completely mad? We get nothing for so long, then they all bombard us at one time.<<

You know, that's actually spot on - of all things, this was the kind of thing we were trying to avoid and now we find ourselves in exactly the same position again as last year, with plenty of RPGs coming out at the same time. It's remarkable because when you look at what the original release dates were for all of these RPGS, it wasn't planned like that. The ratio for the October releases most likely is a result of "Ok, you need more time, we understand that, but you can't miss October or we'll have to shift it to next year. October is really where we draw the line" types of discussions.

Lar_q Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
>>stumbled upon info that Focus Home Interactive is publisher of Dragon Knight Saga and not dtp. Does it mean that Larian is now developing for Focus and both DK Saga and separate FOV will be published by Focus? <<

The distribution picture currently looks like this:

English, French, Spanish, Italian versions - Focus in Europe
German version - DTP in Germany, Switzerland and Austria
US version - TBA
Other territories - TBA

Dae Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I do wonder if cdv will end up being the publisher for the US again.

A
veteran
veteran
A
Is it true that CDV US is the last remaining branch of CDV ? I heard that CDV Germany (the mother company) went into insolvency ?

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
addict
addict
i hate cdv, bye XD

Kontrolle ist gut, Milchschnitte ist besser...........
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Lar_q
>> Now we have this also coming in October. My question is, have RPG developers gone completely mad? We get nothing for so long, then they all bombard us at one time.<<

You know, that's actually spot on - of all things, this was the kind of thing we were trying to avoid and now we find ourselves in exactly the same position again as last year, with plenty of RPGs coming out at the same time. It's remarkable because when you look at what the original release dates were for all of these RPGS, it wasn't planned like that. The ratio for the October releases most likely is a result of "Ok, you need more time, we understand that, but you can't miss October or we'll have to shift it to next year. October is really where we draw the line" types of discussions.

I know, it happens every single year. Dates are always slipping. As a gamer, though, it's actually a bit disheartening. These are all games I want to dedicate time to, but it'll take so long to finish them all. Maybe developers are trying to get away from Halo in September and Call of Duty in November. But I know that it works out like this almost every year. I wait so long for some RPGs, then they all end up releasing near the same time -- or they just end up being delayed until near the end of the fiscal year.

I feel for you guys as developers. In October alone, we have Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga, Arcania: Gothic IV, Two Worlds II, Fallout: New Vegas, True Crime: Hong Kong (which also just got pushed back from September), Enslaved, and Vanquish. I'm sure there are more, but that's currently the titles I have preordered (save for your title, which hasn't received a listing at my shop yet).

But hey, if we know anything about how this industry works, then many of those titles in October could end up slipping, especially Gothic IV and Two Worlds II.

Anyways, I wish you folks luck. You seem like a good group of developers and you deserve to be successful.

Last edited by Libertarian; 14/07/10 05:39 PM.

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
J
journeyman
journeyman
J
slightly more technical question as lar_q seems to be more then a hired mod and who knows may actually work in the mystical place dragon knights ( and slayers ) are formed

im upgrading my pc after poor proformence with ed frown great game my machine was too weak.

what is running it at top spec from your testing lab

and if you cant say should a 5870? from ati with 12gig ram run it at max spec ?

reason 101 for not typeing while sedated. i thought this was lynn post frown
ah well my question still stand sorry to imply lar_q wasnt who he is

Last edited by jereth; 14/07/10 10:25 PM. Reason: im an idiot
A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by jereth
as lar_q seems to be more then a hired mod

[Linked Image]

--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
J
journeyman
journeyman
J
so if the owner under lar_qs name im guessing hes Swen ?

S
stranger
stranger
S
I don't know why nearly everyone complains about having to upgrade computers. I got one years back and I think only upgraded it once or twice. Since then I always put the graphics to the highest possible setting and havn't needed to upgrade since. I can play Crysis on high settings with literally no lag. Even then, console games provide a unique feeling and the controls are somewhat simpler, but for now PC games have better graphics and are more powerful than their console counterparts.

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
yea i do most gaming on ps3 these days, but for a smooth run ill upgrade my rig its id rather know what there running so i can match without worry rather then over strain my mimited resources

stranger
stranger
just one question one bazar question. do we finely get to wear damians armor in this new upcomming huge update?

A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by jereth
so if the owner under lar_qs name im guessing hes Swen ?

I think so, yes. smile

--Dilbert cartoon

Lar_q Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I consider myself a hired mod so no worries there wink

Anyway - we actually don't really have a system that can run the game on extreme settings - we included it for future systems figuring the game was still going to be played a couple of years after release.

Almost everybody here is playing the game on high settings on relatively modest specs - Window XP,dual core, 4GB, Geforce 8800 systems.

Dae Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Spartan717
I don't know why nearly everyone complains about having to upgrade computers. I got one years back and I think only upgraded it once or twice.

Well, I complain because I come from a family that never replaces stuff unless absolutely necessary. Heck, im using a laptop built in 99' to post this...love that sony lol.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lar_q
I consider myself a hired mod so no worries there wink

Anyway - we actually don't really have a system that can run the game on extreme settings - we included it for future systems figuring the game was still going to be played a couple of years after release.

That's quite a clever idea.

Can you give a sneak peek at what changes FoV makes to the areas in vanilla game (assuming there are some)? Like is there now an NPC in Broken Valley who can retrain your skills?

stranger
stranger
IDK but i think is just an excuse to sell the game again....Oblivion had big DLC's and were sold via DLC or expansion disk. Don't get me wrong , i love D2 and i'll buy the new version ; but i really feel i am getting cheated when the devs say that the expansion is so big that we need to do it that way. Why no sold it like a sequel if is so big or like an episode. I hope the graphic don't be blurry like in the first DV2 to make worthy re-buy DV 2 again.

Last edited by Uyuyuy; 15/07/10 10:09 PM.
Support
Support

There is a limit on the size of DLC. A disk release for the Xbox version was technically possible, but they couldn't get a publisher for just FoV.

The PC version has an option to disable depth of field blurring (if that's what you are talking about), but unfortunately the Xbox version doesn't. I would certainly prefer that option in DKS; most of the time it isn't a big deal, but sometimes it is very noticeable (in the cutscene when talking to Patriarch, for example, the video starts out a little blurry, clears up for a couple seconds and looks really good, then switches back to slightly blurry).

Welcome to the forum. wave

Dae Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Raze

There is a limit on the size of DLC. A disk release for the Xbox version was technically possible, but they couldn't get a publisher for just FoV.

Id be curious to know how the fallout 3 developers were able to find publishers for individual DLC addons. I see 'Point lookout', 'Broken steel' and 'the Pitt' on the shelves every time I visit Best Buy.

Support
Support

Really?

Bethesda has much more resources than Larian, a much higher advertising budget and name recognition, a much higher profile, etc. I've seen TV advertisements for Fallout (even with a DVR to skip 99% of commercials), and mentions in general computer publications, but with D2:ED I have not seen any advertisements at all, and references are restricted to gaming or RPG websites, as far as I've noticed.

A quick Google search brought up an article stating that in the first week it was released, Fallout 3 sold 4.7 million copies (PC, PS3 and Xbox) in the US and UK, giving a profit of $300 million for the week. Another article said total Xbox sales were 1.14 million in the US.
The Xbox version of D2:ED apparently sold about 40 thousand copies in the US for the first week, and 115 thousand in the first 5 months.

Lar mentioned there were several reasons they couldn't get the Xbox version of just FoV published. If you want to compare Larian to Bethesda, though, the relative projected sales numbers would have to be part of the difference. There could also have been publishers that would have wanted to release FoV, but didn't have the resources right now to handle another game, etc. Maybe some were just not interested in a single add-on, but might have been if there was going to be a series of them...

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard