Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
I left the training camp with magic wanting to be a mage in the game. I have not seen magic weapons (wands/staffs) and very little gear that boosts magic. I invested skill points in mage that i wish i could get back now.

Anyone playing a mage and happy in this game?

G
apprentice
apprentice
G
are you kidding me? true no wands/staffs. but over 70% of the equips i find is for a magican. (and im a warrior. >_>)

M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
You'll probably boost your intelligence a lot as a mage, so look for weapons that do more magic than normal damage, usually maces and warhammers. There are several 'sets' in the game as well, that boost your magical properties significantly when worn together.

Also, investing skillpoints in magic spells is definitely not a waste! Wizards with 10 or even 15 points in spells like Magic Missile and Fireball are VERY powerful.

Still, if you really don't like the skills you've been assigning points in, you can unlearn them all and redistribute your points. You'll need to talk to your skill trainer in your Battle Tower to do this, but perhaps you're not quite that far into the game yet. Also, this costs quite a bit of gold, so don't do this too often! smile

I am in blood
Stepp'd in so far, that, should I wade no more,
Returning were as tedious as go o'er.
R
stranger
stranger
R
I am only up to level 7 mage, but as soon as I bought an upgraded mace life is easier. I was running out of mana quickly and then killing stuff with a sword which took forever. Maces are 5 times as powerful as 1h swords due to the magic damage and now I can 1-2 shot stuff easily. I use magic for large groups, then let magic regen on the loners by only using the mace.

T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
great input, all ... didnt look at the mace close enough .. had mind set on finding a staff or wand .. I will look at the maces. I really want to play thru as a mage, so thx for the input.

T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Originally Posted by Macbeth
You'll probably boost your intelligence a lot as a mage, so look for weapons that do more magic than normal damage, usually maces and warhammers. There are several 'sets' in the game as well, that boost your magical properties significantly when worn together.

Also, investing skillpoints in magic spells is definitely not a waste! Wizards with 10 or even 15 points in spells like Magic Missile and Fireball are VERY powerful.

Still, if you really don't like the skills you've been assigning points in, you can unlearn them all and redistribute your points. You'll need to talk to your skill trainer in your Battle Tower to do this, but perhaps you're not quite that far into the game yet. Also, this costs quite a bit of gold, so don't do this too often! smile

thanks for the input .. feeling better about being a mage now! I have not gotten to the point where you can unlearn, but its good to know that you can do this.

T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Originally Posted by GiantAXe
are you kidding me? true no wands/staffs. but over 70% of the equips i find is for a magican. (and im a warrior. >_>)

are you looking at the magic resist stats ... because thats the only way you can be seeing 70% with magic hehe

journeyman
journeyman
Lots of normal weapons and armor have magic stats rather than melee stats.

G
stranger
stranger
G
Well, after my first session during which I made level 12, summoning undead (now level 8 minions)proved extremely useful. They're weak but great for crowd control.

But yeah, I find myself taking down enemies more with my sword than with magic, which isn't really what I wanted, but at low levels I suppose there's not much choice given that I invested a number of skill points in lockpicking (an essential skill IMO).

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Grunk
But yeah, I find myself taking down enemies more with my sword than with magic, which isn't really what I wanted, but at low levels I suppose there's not much choice given that I invested a number of skill points in lockpicking (an essential skill IMO).

Quite True about Lockpicking. Very early in the game, in the city you go right after the one you became a Dragon slayer you find chests that are protected with lv 3 and even lv 4 locks. i maxed the lockpicking skill as high i could at lvl 8 in order to open those chest which left me little points for anything else and really, i wish i didnt since those chests didnt contain anything of high value ( the best i got i think is a low-lvl health potion). Im not to the point in the game where i can re-allocate my points (bummer! lol). Given that i have not attained lvl 10 yet i might consider restarting ... maybe..

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
Consider this, in ED, loot in chest scaled with Level.

IE the LONGER you wait, the better the loot.

Also I am disappointed, from what I read from Macbeth, am I to understand even high level mages are stuck to melee weapons? I would expect a mage to have a Zero mp "standard" attack option that was magical in nature, IE Ranged.

T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Originally Posted by Jasmine Moldovia
Consider this, in ED, loot in chest scaled with Level.

IE the LONGER you wait, the better the loot.

Also I am disappointed, from what I read from Macbeth, am I to understand even high level mages are stuck to melee weapons? I would expect a mage to have a Zero mp "standard" attack option that was magical in nature, IE Ranged.

agreed ...

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
I would hope this oversight could be corrected by a fanmod/ official patch, I doubt it, but I would hope.

Rangers get ranged Physical.

(Pure) Mages should be all about ranged Magical.

I have yet to see a mage who ran up to people and bashed them on the head because their cooldown on magic missile fireball wasn't done yet. In a good game, they just start pumping out the "Standard ranged Magical attack"

P
stranger
stranger
P
Originally Posted by Jasmine Moldovia
I would hope this oversight could be corrected by a fanmod/ official patch, I doubt it, but I would hope.

Rangers get ranged Physical.

(Pure) Mages should be all about ranged Magical.

I have yet to see a mage who ran up to people and bashed them on the head because their cooldown on magic missile fireball wasn't done yet. In a good game, they just start pumping out the "Standard ranged Magical attack"

As someone who has played a large number of RPGs over the years, and has a fondness for spell-casters, I can say that's not true for a several of them. Take for example all the DnD-based games (Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, to name a few). There are no "free" ranged magical attacks in those games. I am not saying it shouldn't be what you suggested, but only that it isn't true for several good RPGs. I liked the Dragon Age system in this regard, where the mage staff fired a zero-MP magic projectile.

I am just happy they have mana-regen in Divinity 2. There was no such thing in Divine Divinity (although, IIRC, that game had a lot more varied mage spells).

I think the magic missile spell, with a 1-second cooldown and relatively low mana cost, can be used as the standard mage attack in this game.

Last edited by pulverizer; 07/11/10 08:59 PM. Reason: corrected typo
Support
Support

Mana Leech could help recover mana when you do need to switch to a melee weapon, and there is also a Mana Efficiency skill. A bow could also be helpful waiting for cooldown times or mana recovery.

I had no problem in D2:ED maxing Lockpick early, but played a warrior, so didn't need to invest in a lot of skills early on.

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
Fair enough, if Magic Missile is such a low spell, rapid cool down, it should be the starter spell instead of fireball.

old hand
old hand
Mage needs a huge overhaul for the next game. Mage pretty much only compliments other classes. You warrior/range can use magic attack and regular attack weapons. And stuff like healing is useful. Even in DD, mage really lacks as a stand alone class. I used freeze, heal and hell spikes in DD the rest was pretty much useless.

Archers are a better option I think as your not limited to mana.

Mage needs a type of spell that doesn't require a whole lot of mana to damage opponents. An example is a plasma ball (ok stole idea from Sorcerer's apprentice) that would damage and push back an opponent. Then the regular spells like fireball and hell spikes that would do more damage in one hit and use up a considerable amount of mana.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 07/11/10 11:58 PM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
old hand
old hand
Level 10 mana efficiency and high mana regeneration solve the mana problem.

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
I would love to play a mage, but from the experience in the testing ground it's just like playing a warrior with one magic spell in-between poundings. I think their does need to be some massive overhaul so that as a mage, I'm casting more magic (From lvl 1) than bashing someone over the head.

Make the mage, Magic Focused from the beginning, as I've said before.

I can say that I have done quiet a few playthroughs and as a mage have never used any weapons past the few opening levels.

There was just never any need to do so except to boost your stats a bit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard