Print Thread
#429186 26/11/10 08:27 PM
I
iceon Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I
I know the devs are probably tired and bored to death with these topics, and instead of finding any of them, using my eyes or the search function, I decided to create a new one. (I also consider myself to be very special and different from everyone else and you really have to read what I am about to write so I can't stand the thought of this post to get it's thunder stolen by another persons title... did I mention that I consider myself awesome?)

I spent a little time on Steam a few days ago, or was it last week, I think... Time does not matter when one get's one's life stolen!

Anyway, I spent a little time on Steam trying to figure out what darn harn game I was going to purchase next, I have recently managed to get rid of my World of Warcraft addiction that I've had the past 5 years or so. Anywho... I have always loved RPG games (exclude thin-pretty-boys-whith-huge-swords-games) Recently I have given a take on the bigger games that has gotten released. I loved Dragon Age it was absolutely awesome and I played it through so many times (expansion and dlc included) that I wanted to puke by the very idea of going through it again. I have played Morrowind (didn't like to be honest) and that... boring Oblivion that everyone talks about.

I have conquered many games including all those Hack'n Slash games both new and old (is Sacred etc still counted as new?)

Anywho... I was thinking about buying The Witcher 2, I didn't like the first one, but I wanted a new RPG (tbh I can go with any kind of game that is in Fantasy setting, unless it includes thin-pretty-boys-whith-huge-swords) I saw the trailer for the remade Divinity II. I liked the trailer, the idea of switching over to a dragon. After some pondering I went of and bought it smile

I must say I was very disappointed with the character creation but all the time trying to forgive the game because it was not a known company to me who had made it and one should realize some things money actually can buy.

First character I saw "in game" had a see through wig on top of her bold head... A graphic fault that I couldn't seem to get rid of unless making a loss of something else. It seems that most hats/hairs and some other things in the game becomes half transparent, I had to search a little. Now if I had not bought this game I would probably have dropped it, but the promise of silver armor with golden decoration and dragon shape kept me there. I decided that my resolution is more important than the odd texture here and there ( I have actually gotten used to them now and see it almost like a fun feature).

The first character I always make is always the same.. A warrior who dual wield, and so it became once again smile

I actually can't remember the last time I died so much in a game hehe (well, actually it was last time I tried to play Counter Strike 1.6 after not having played it for years). The game was hard! Me likey!

It is a very beautiful game, nice armors, the ui is wonderful (although the whole enchant/train/alchemy ui was rather weird)

I love the little jokes (the undead in the center of the beginning area who does not dare to think because it might make him die was really a laugh out loud moment) but at some points they pass over my head or the voice acting does not seem good enough, at some spots I even noticed a huge volume difference when two NPC are speaking with eachother.

The game HAS flaws, little things, something does not work really smooth or an animation looks funny or you get stuck for an odd second at a place. But non of these things matters, because... the game has something, something very special.

Before the Battle Tower I think I went through with the most horrible experience ever... and I loved it. I needed to start thinking again! Dragon Age, WoW, LOTR:O had made me stupid, I had to start using the brain! I don't know how many times I have run through the same spot trying to find the smallest little clue to help me forward and I also get to smash enemies! At first I felt very weak, but didn't really think about it, was busy trying to figure out where the hell to go, what to do in order and just.. overwhelming.

After the Battle Tower I started to get a hang of things. My character also grew a lot more powerful once I started to care about enchantments etc smile

The feeling of might by owning the Battle Tower and to have servants, choose who get's to live, upgrade the runners all this was a very sweeeeet addition to the game.. felt like a mighty dragon lord =)

As for the second part of the game the flying fortresses was my favourites. It was this mighty lonely creature taking on enemy after enemy. Just wonderful!

All the flaws of the game just disappeared from my eyes as I ventured deeper and deeper into the game, I am not done with the expansion yet, and although my character is now so powerful that nothing poses a threat, some parts actually made me want cry just because I didn't understand how to do something but ... once solved, you get a feeling of achievement.

Combant works actually really nice even if it took a while to get used too.

I have a bit of trouble writing down what I think, but I think the game gives out "power and might" to the player through the character and mixed with the darkness of the worlds dungeons and tale it become very "wow" while fighting demons at the same time. I mean come on, I can't be the only one who even loves to jump of cliffs and turn into the dragon just because it looks so darn sweet? =)

Add to the above the fact that you have to figure out where the quest goes and how to solve them instead of getting a detailed text and markers on maps on every step of the road. It just makes this game something special.

Thank you Larian for this game, it's a great one! *goes of to create a hunter*

For those who did not have power to read my post:
Game has flaws, but makes one use the brain and feel mighty, thus, best game I've played in years!

iceon #429218 27/11/10 04:46 AM
stranger
stranger
Hello My name is Jesse and I'm a WoW addict.

But in all seriousness. I found out (for me) it wasn't an addiction to WoW, but an addiction to video games all together. WoW was just easy because you payed only $15 a month and get tons of hours out of it. Its cheap and fun. I quit a 6 months ago, didnt feel the need to play again. I've been playing since vanilla. I never once got out of work or schooling (homeshcool, I can play any time I want, but school comes first) I'm good at my job, and I'm finishing my junior year early. I had other games (like DKS) now I'm starting to play again, its a blast. they redid the while world and its like a new game.

Non players dont get it, but WoW isn't a game. Its a hobby. No one gets mad at a football (wather) addict.

I had the power to read your post... and then fell asleep half way in. laugh

To be honest most people that say comments like 'The game has flaws' are no different from the ones that say 'I don't like the voice acting'. To those who love the game we find such things very strange. So to say it has flaws and then to say best game you have played in years makes you special I guess lol

In many ways one should look at all games as the way the developer intended it to be then the flaws are washed away. Instead it becomes as case of you either love it or hate it. wink

Divinity II: XBOX 360
Region: PAL (UK)
Display: 1080i HDMI PC
I
iceon Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I
Originally Posted by Dungeon Master
So to say it has flaws and then to say best game you have played in years makes you special I guess lol

Well, one can't go so blind that one can't see some of the graphical or path flaws in this game just because one think it is a very good game no?

Should I just because I love the game say that it has no flaws?

The thing is, that the game sucks you into the world with the combat, quests and exploring so darn well that it deserves a trophy smirk

iceon #429263 27/11/10 01:00 PM
I'm playing it on XBOX 360 and see the game as it was intended just like everyone else who has this version. wink

The only flaw is that all good things come to an end. Can never have enough. smile

Divinity II: XBOX 360
Region: PAL (UK)
Display: 1080i HDMI PC
L
journeyman
journeyman
L
I don't recall any graphical flaws, or perhaps I've just not reached them. I did get only a black screen when first I changed my video card, after loading my save game, but that went away after checking a box for 'use desktop resolution'.

Reality is but a shadow of one's imagination, is it not?

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard