Next Thread
Print Thread
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Hi all

I just got Divinity 2 and each time I try to learn a skill I get directed back to my desktop. No matter how many times I try to restore the game the activemovie window keeps popping up. My PC meets all the reqs for the game and I have installed the directX from the main installation. I also updated my graphics card drivers just to be sure but the problem is still there. What freaks me out is that sometimes the movies that display how the skill works actually work as well as the intro movies.... any ideas?

old hand
old hand
Does this happen with all achievement windows or just that one?

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
K
stranger
stranger
K
In another topic i saw this message...

Heh, funny thing. Game works fine when there's media player playing any type of video file at the background. And yes, playback is paused. It doesn't matter is it KMPLayer or WMP (I've got both) and what type of video (I tried AVI, MKV, MPEG4, etc.). I've found it ocasionally and it really works! So, any ideas? Actually, I'm glad it works, but still...

I tested this and it worked perfectly... eh eh eh, a very funny thing...

old hand
old hand
The codec or a driver for the video might not be starting properly with the game running. It sounds like having Windows Media player running keeps that necessary video codec or driver online.

Think this is more of a Micro$oft issue than a game issue.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
ava Offline
It is definitely something weird and something I want a good solution for. I wonder, @Nash: when you play a video in windows media player, do you get an activemovie window next to your media player?

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Douglas Adams
ava Offline
If you experience this issue, you can try the Direct Show Filter manager. You can restore the directx codecs with it (in the 'Troubleshooting' tab) or remove suspicious codecs.

It certainly helped people in this thread.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Douglas Adams
P
stranger
stranger
P
I have the same problem,
downloaded Direct Show Filter manager as you suggested and restored the directX codecs but nothing changed.
The problem happens with the abilities window, when I select an ability (and it's video should appear)it opens another window (Activemovie window) and the game crashes.

I surely meet the system requirements with an i5 Processor and a NVidia GeForce 9800GT. I tried to run on low quality but with different settings and resolutions the problem persists.

The problems happened with "Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga", but when I played (last year) "Divinity II: Ego Draconis" with the same PC all worked fine.

Can you help me?

Last edited by PaoloF87; 01/05/12 01:32 PM.
Support
Support

If the above suggestions/links do not help, one person fixed this problem using the codec tweak tool that comes with the K-Lite Codec Pack.

ActiveWindow Movie during game

activemovie windows problems

You could also rename the '..\Divinity II - DKS\data\Video\Skills' folder to prevent the game from playing the skill preview videos.

P
stranger
stranger
P
The K-Lite Codec Pack didn't work,
renaming the video folder seemed to fix the problem... I won't be able to see the videos but the games don't crashes at least.

I hope that's all, thanks for your assistance.

Support
Support

I'm not sure what else you could try to fix the codec problem, short of a clean re-install of Windows. Codecs.com lists a couple other programs (similar to Direct Show Filter manager and Codec Tweak Tool) that you could try, which might help where the others did not: Cucusoft Codec Fixer, Win7DSFilterTweaker, Codec Toolbox RS, BigFix.

If you can not fix the problem, at least it can be avoided.

A belated welcome to the forum. wave

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard