Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Spin-off?? When and where were you heard that?

I hope they are working on div 3 as DIV 3, not some spin-off. (DKS get me worked up on next divinity)

C
C
I agree, pall. I also seriously hope that they just use current tech and release fast, but I'm not holding my breath. Crpgs take a long time to build. Even if they don't scrap the engine, it'll be at least 2-3 years for another full game. I wouldn't mind a spinoff that had nothing to do with the Divine or Damian or the Chaos Lord, etc. Something where you're re-establishing territory after the war as a member of the Champions or New Order. A couple of these would be welcome. The team isn't really big enough to do something like this though and still develop Div 3 at the same time.

'nut
stranger
stranger
i finished two worlds 2 its fun and the story is -improved,then i started divinity 2 OMG do ilove this more , the detail of some places is incredible , sometimes i just stop and observe my soroundings , and the soundtrack is superb festival of immortals , sentinel island,the main theme are my favs, the quests for me atleast are way more interesting than two worlds 2

old hand
old hand
The spin-off could take place in the faraway land that Ursula speaks about. She still has some evil sisters running amok there. rpg003

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Aww... but i want to $%^&* Damian or help Divine do it.

C
C
Originally Posted by crpgnut
Even if they are developing Div 3, don't get too excited. I love the Divinity games but 7 years between major releases is a long, long, time. Assuming that Larian started working on Div 3 in 2009, that means the next full game would release in 2016. That's one of the problems Larian has in getting a publisher, especially American. Nobody wants to wait 7 years for ROI.

What are the time gap between Starcraft I and II? And Diablo III was in development so long Vivendi brought the hammer down on Blizzard North.

My point is that it is not always the case that a publisher will not hold out for a release. But certain Larian does not have anywhere near the clout Blizzard has. That said I would be happy to play other Larian games while waiting for a proper release.

EDIT: Sorry kind of necroposted it. Didn't notice the 2nd page rolleyes

Last edited by candlebbq; 28/01/11 12:09 AM.
Support
Support

Actually, the German publisher was involved relatively early in the process, but ROI wasn't a problem for North American publishers because the game was close to done when they were approached. Even then no one wanted to publish the Xbox version until they saw sales results from the rest of the world.

In another topic (Status update) Lar mentioned that if the Larian Vault worked out they may not need as much publisher involvement for the development of their next RPG.

C
C
Originally Posted by Raze

Actually, the German publisher was involved relatively early in the process, but ROI wasn't a problem for North American publishers because the game was close to done when they were approached. Even then no one wanted to publish the Xbox version until they saw sales results from the rest of the world.

In another topic (Status update) Lar mentioned that if the Larian Vault worked out they may not need as much publisher involvement for the development of their next RPG.

Yes, game consoles are an entirely different beast in itself. Anyone can publish a title for PC/Mac and there's no licensing and distributor requirements. Larian Vault won't touch consoles such as Xbox and PS3 that require titles go through XBLA and PSN respectively for digital distribution.

Although I like the idea of first hand publishing on their own site even if it is just for PC titles. It should cut down on overhead and create a stronger fanbase which is always a win-win. My only hope is that everyone spreads the word so it can go viral otherwise without a major channel like steam the masses won't even know a game has been released. Either that or land a spotlight with big media.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
word of mouth ftw : D

some guy made a really nice but short review on gametrailer.com on the pc forum and here i'm enjoy this game ; )

i think the best part was this company put their game on sale via Steam.

best investment for both of us haha

old hand
old hand
Divinity II has been doing very well in RPGWatch Game of the Year Awards

M
addict
addict
M
As long as I can buy a box through the larian vault...

C
C
Originally Posted by melianos
As long as I can buy a box through the larian vault...

The post linked by Raze says digital distribution so I'd say probably not.

Support
Support

Actually, the Divine Divinity / Beyond Divinity remix audio CD is listed in the Vault, so physical products are not necessarily a problem (it is also available digitally). I don't know if the publishing deals for the PC versions would exclude direct sales, or not. Larian can not sell the Xbox version directly, in any case (see Lar's post in DKS Xbox 360 (USA) possibly direct from Larian?).

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by pall
Spin-off?? When and where were you heard that?

I hope they are working on div 3 as DIV 3, not some spin-off. (DKS get me worked up on next divinity)

I remember someone from Larian Studios on the forums mentioning they are working on a spin-off Divinity game and that they are thinking of making it like the first one with the high isomectic (or whatever) camera. If they are making the camera like that, they should allow it to be done like in NWN where we can zoom in to our character and view them from behind. I prefer the camera of DIV2, so they should keep that as well.

Last edited by Demonic; 29/01/11 11:14 AM.
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Third person or isomectic? I think that who and what we will control in div 3 should decide what camera will be used.

C
apprentice
apprentice
C
I really enjoyed this game and really think this game franchise has amazing potential. Id rather play Div3 over diablo3 and its right there with dragonage 2

old hand
old hand
Some months ago, in one of the status updates, I promised I wanted to be more open about the development of our next games. I'd like to start doing that, but out of necessity still need to be cryptic about certain things.

So currently we have 2 Divinity projects in pre-production - The first one, code named project E features a top-down camera whereas the other one, code named project D, has a camera similar to DKS but obviously with certain improvements.

They are both in pre-production meaning that would ordinarily mean that it's unsure that they'll make it to market, but I think there'll be an announcement in the next couple of weeks that guarantees at least one of the two will make it to production, and I'd actually be surprised if the second one doesn't make it either. I'm the most biased person on the planet when it comes to Divinity games, but I am under the impression that they're both uber-cool games and that I'd like to play them both. If past experience is anything to go by, that means that somehow we'll manage to get them made.

Talking about project E, the top-down thing has disadvantages when it comes to immersion, but it makes up in terms of some of the content things we can pull off with it. You can think of E as the original Divinity in a modern jacket augmented with many of the insights we gained over the course of they years and some new things we'd like to try out (with the caveat that those sometimes work, and sometimes don't). It certainly looks nice, and many of the ideas in there fit with what you've all been writing of things you want in our forums. Some don't however; ) I'd really like to show you some early screenshots, but since that would be a first announcement, it'd make it all over the web, and it might cause mis-interpretation which would take a long time to set right, so we'll refrain from that for the moment.

D, well, that one does *one* thing which I expect several in this industry will tell us is insane, for probably good reasons, but I can't help but thinking that it'll make for really cool gameplay so we'll try it out nonetheless - I'm being a bit cryptic about it because D's development has two roads it can follow, and I don't know which one it'll be yet. I do know which one I'd prefer, but that's the one that'll cost tons of cash and we still need to figure out if we can get someone crazy enough to share our belief that that's a game that should be made. To be fair, we haven't shown it to anybody yet, so I have no clue if it actually requires craziness, or instead people will jump on it, but the plan is to start showing it around at GDC, so we'll see what that gives.

What I can tell you about D is that it *should* take care of one of the frustrations I personally still had with DKS i.e. getting the dragon thing really right. Given the scope of DKS we never could focus sufficient development resources on that, and to avoid that from happening with D we started pre-production by focussing completely on the dragon thing. In my mind, there still hasn't been a game that got the feeling of being a powerful beast of destruction right (and fun), and that's going to be one of the core ambitions with D. Should it turn out that it doesn't work, it won't be for lack of trying wink

While I'm writing, I also wanted to thank you all for the feedback we're getting in here - I'm often amazed by how crystal accurate some of the analysis is, and for us it's like mana from heaven in terms of getting our design focused. Even Kein's continuous frontal assaults are a great source of inspiration wink

old hand
old hand
Oh yes, I need to add that development being development, anything that I write about project D & E comes with the disclaimer that it's prone to change as we continue development - new insights are gained every day and resources are limited so on occasion we might decide to change course.

veteran
veteran
Great news smile !
Whatever it will be, E or D, I buy your next game if it becomes reality wink
Both, E and D, can certainly hold my attention ... and maybe you, the whole Larian Team, succeed to make an enormous RPG many gamers will love it very much !!

Should it be possible to create a whole "Globe" where in the Dragon can fly like a airoplane can fly around the world (endlessly, if it use no fuel :hihi: ) ?

So you make a "planet" that IS the whole Game World the player can travel in ... named Rivellon (or whatever).
But I'm afraid this feature is very difficult to make ... is't it?

Good luck with all the development(issues) wave

PS: for this moment I love most project E. Maybe in the future make a POLL on this Forum so you can have an idea what most people prefer? Just a think ...

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
old hand
old hand
From what Lar wrote, I'm really intrigued by project D... the industry desperately needs someone trying to do something original.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard