Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
stranger
stranger
Such an interesting read, thanks Lar. I've been following your status updates for quite some time. I just want to say that I love you guys, I love Larian. For me, you're right up there with Piranha Bytes, which are still my favourite developers of all time.

old hand
old hand
Wow now theres a name I haven't heard in a long time grin

stranger
stranger
Thanks for the fascinating inside take on this whole process Lar.

It's a bit amazing the shortsightedness of the major gaming industry really.

I've been a fan of Larian Studios since I first bought Div Div all though years ago,(of course just bought it again from GOG to get the new improved version)and now Div II.
Dragon Commander sounds so good and so different I'm looking forward to you sharing whatever you can with us as you work on the game.
Also interested in any other projects Larian has in the fire...like a new/old isometric style game a-la Divine Divinity, heck Diablo 3 should re-popularize that graphic style again even with the major publishers.

old hand
old hand
Larians Project E is going to have a top down camra like DD form what we've heard it's going to be Divinity 3.

Welcome to the forums grin

M
addict
addict
M
Originally Posted by Warfran

It's not shortsightdness.
They first say "it's crappy, it won't sell", so you doubt about your project.
Then they come with an offer a couple days later (like they did), very good for "such a crappy game".

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by melianos
Originally Posted by Warfran

It's not shortsightdness.
They first say "it's crappy, it won't sell", so you doubt about your project.
Then they come with an offer a couple days later (like they did), very good for "such a crappy game".

I hear what your saying Melianos, selling your game short to get in at a bargain price.
I agree with that take, but also with the lack of overall new gaming ideas being published these days, I'll still stick with shortsightedness being a problem at least in the mainstream publishing houses.

Thanks for both the welcome and that bit of news Divine Avenger, that would be my dream game right now.

veteran
veteran
It's good to read all your status updates Lar, I like them ! smile

It's good you learn things going to "Gamescom" ... you listen and speak to the marketing and you know now even better WHAT to do and what not ...
It's good to listen/read what other people say/think
AND
at the same time just DO you OWN thing ! Great !!!

To all of you of the Larian Team :
"Have Fun with making upcoming games,
put your heart & soul into them
and your Fanbase will grown and your happiness also !

To choose to be Happy is one of the motives to go on with what you do best :
developing great & funny to play games !

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
apprentice
apprentice
i recommend after your game sells well i would show them your sales then laugh at them.

Being scared of something is being uneducated
enthusiast
enthusiast
“You know, marketing did research on Dragons for one of our own major properties, and they told me positively that there’s no audience. Nobody will buy it.”

I bought DKS =) though I was hesitant at first xD. They're just there because they want to discourage you in continuing further. It's a psychological attack. Which I experienced a lot. I know of games that sell with dragons on it xD.

We even got our first offer for a worldwide publishing deal, which we, shockingly, respectfully declined, at least for the time being. The reason– being madly in love with Dragon Commander and not wanting to lose creative control, something that automatically happens when signing one of those deals

I really like you're enthusiastic approach into making games. Not everyone are like that once they are faced with money smile and active in forums are very rare for a developer xD. I know of games that are popular because of its franchise but, because it was bought by a major publisher, lately, the recent games of that franchise were uninteresting. They are appealing @ face value but, by the time you play them, you will feel betrayed and, thus, losing customers in the process.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away” – Antoine de Saint-Exupery

A favorite quote of mine. Take your time, don't release the game when it isn't yet playable. A lot of bugs hurt a lot of expectation.

This is out of topic but I will share with you some. Lord of the Rings and the TV series Game of Thrones kept the mainstream interested for fantasy setting games. I could say that their effects on the audience will make them a potential buyer for this game laugh

Last edited by henryv; 20/09/11 09:28 PM.

"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ForkTong, Issh, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard