Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#444717 19/05/11 04:58 PM
Demonic Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
What is people's opinion on it? I've heard from reviewers that the sex dialogue and romances are still as pathetic as before with one reviewer noting that after three lines of dialogue, a woman jumps into bed with Geralt. There may be a decent RPG behind this Assassin's Creed combat clone and there certainly are people who are enjoying this game but it sounds like it's just really The Witcher with added Assassin's Creed combat and nothing more (which I suppose some will like).

Not that Assassin's Creed's combat is bad. I think I'll give The Witcher 2 a pass though. If the quests and dialogue are anything like the first, then it's not for me. If they release a demo, then I'll know for sure if my concerns with the first are fixed in the sequel.

Demonic #444719 19/05/11 05:06 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm waiting on a demo but going by the reviews that are starting to come in, if no demo is released Ill probably buy it anyway. Looks a good solid game and the first one was good once it got going. It won't be for a while though as I will finish other games first.

As for the sex, well there are people who will buy it just for a look at some pixellated jugs...
Look at DA2 - it's selling point "whoa it's got sex in it!! must buy now!!!"
Then, after several hours "oh dear the jugs are too small and you can't see anything! This sucks!" rolleyes
Witcher 2 will probably be the same. More mature people however will buy it for the rest of the game content.

Last edited by Arokh; 19/05/11 05:20 PM.

By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

Demonic #444720 19/05/11 05:13 PM
addict
addict
I purchased W1, about a year ago, and never got it working. The 360 is limited on RPGs, that are worth anything. I'm not that computer savvy, in the first place, and never got a response to my email. Though not an RPG, I loved the AC series. With the exception, of the horridious voice acting, of the first one.

The darker, dirtier and grittier, the better for me...

If an XBOX release comes...I will be there...

UNKNOWN: Friends help you move...True friends, help you move bodies...
E.A.P.: Blood was it's Avatar and it's seal.
E.A.P.: Stupidity is a talent for misconceptions.

old hand
old hand
I'm getting it tomorrow.

From what I've heard and read, though, combat seems to be more like Demon's Souls or Risen.

virumor #444760 20/05/11 11:49 PM
veteran
veteran
I've already pre-ordered the Collector's Edition.

Will give a review once properly played through wink.

veteran
veteran
Hmmm, get it folks. Well, after 1.01 is released, which should be any day now.

Not quite the item-rush and quests (oddly enough) of Divinity II, but the combat is challenging, and it has a nice story.
If you like D2 it's definitely worth giving a try.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Bugger, I have just started a new job @ 12 hour shifts. Probably won't be playing it for a while as Ill be knackered or working but glad to hear its recommended by Divinity players. Gotta finish ME2 and DA2 yet.

By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

Arokh #446113 26/06/11 09:34 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
There's a really thorough and great written review on it on Game Banshee :
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/103629-gb-feature-the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-review.html
After this introduction, it's 6 pages !

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
veteran
veteran
Hey,

someone who can give a short review about his/her experiences with The Witcher II (pc) ?
I read today on another forum (Xbox) that this game will come also to the Xbox port, but an exact relaese date do not excist.

Some people say this game has some good vibrations you can compare with DKS. But looking at video's of The Witcher 2 I can't say it's a must-buy-rpg for me.

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Joram #452926 20/01/12 03:30 PM
veteran
veteran
No offence to Larian, but W2 is on a whole other level to Div 2. It's probably the best single character RPG I've ever played. Strong characterisation, meaningful choice and multiple paths through the game give it replay value, too.

If you like games that give you choices that don't come clearly labelled 'Good' and 'Evil', but rather allow you to make that decision for yourself, you'll love W2.

If characterisation & choice are things you consider a distraction and an annoyance, though, you'll probably hate it.

Please click the banner...
veteran
veteran
Thanks to the 6 pages counted review on Gamebanshee (thanks to Alrik!)
and thanks to Elliot Kane I start to believe I gonna really LOVE this game !

My only thoughs are the skilltree and I wish to know this:
Can my hero put loot in a chest or drop it somewhere (to later sell it or whetever) ?? I hope.

Because this is the only minor minus I have with DKS: ones taken the loot, you can't drop it or store it in a chest before you've the Battle Tower. I like to have more possibilities to manage with loot etc.

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
old hand
old hand
It's a decent game, but it takes itself too seriously. The "multiple paths" isn't correct, there's only two paths in the game but you get a wholly different chapter depending on which you choose - so you can replay the game twice. wink

I'd also hesitate to call it a "RPG". But considering games like Mass Effect are considered RPGs nowadays...

Joram #452931 20/01/12 03:56 PM
veteran
veteran
You do get a storage chest with W2 version 2 (IE fully patched to the latest version), though there was no storage in the original game (Which was a nightmare, frankly!).

'Multiple' means more than one Virumor. It's also worth considering that you can take the same main path but make very different choices along the length of it, which could also be considered a new path. It's not like you only have one choice to make which determines everything...

And if you would hesitate to call something an RPG that allows you that much choice over the way you play your character, I'd love to know what you WOULD call an RPG...

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Elliot_Kane
And if you would hesitate to call something an RPG that allows you that much choice over the way you play your character, I'd love to know what you WOULD call an RPG...

I prefer to stick to the old definition. A game where you create a character (or even better: a party) who is (are) defined by stats, and develop your character(s) by means of playing through a quest or series of quests. Basically, a computer simulation of a P&P RPG.

Choice isn't integral to a RPG, stats are. There are no stats in either Witcher 2 or Mass Effect games, yet they are still considered RPGs nowadays. It's the consequence of a preference nowadays over cinematic experiences in games and too much genre blending.

virumor #452934 20/01/12 07:31 PM
veteran
veteran
Virumor,

Choice isn't integral to a RPG, stats are.

As a tabletop gamer, you should know that the reverse of this is true. A character that is defined solely by their stats is no character at all: a true character is created by the choices you make for him/her.

This is why a good GM will always pay far more attention to the abilities of his/her players than the stats on their character sheets when planning out a session.

I can and have run tabletop sessions where not a single die was rolled nor stat consulted. Because role playing is about characterisation, not number crunching. Always.

old hand
old hand
Without stats, you can't pick abilities. There is no characterisation possible without state. One flows necessarily from the other.

When I said, "choice", I meant gameplay choice which shapes the story, not choices pre-set in a pre-baked storyline and lead to the same ending anyway.

Last edited by virumor; 20/01/12 08:06 PM.
virumor #452937 20/01/12 08:09 PM
veteran
veteran
Virumor,

Without stats, you can't pick abilities. One flows from the other.

You can. It's a lot harder, granted, but you can. Stats, like dice, are a convention. They can be done away with without ever affecting whether or not a game is an RPG. Because a Role Playing Game is exactly that - you play a role.

Whatever the framework might be, it is the role that matters.

When I said, "choice", I meant choice flowing naturally from gameplay, not choices pre-set in a pre-baked storyline and lead to the same ending anyway.

As far as is possible in a computer game, Witcher 2 offers choice. And more than one ending smile

old hand
old hand
You mean you play role playing sessions not using any (conventional) RPG system like D&D, GURPS of WoD but your own system?

Surely, there must at least be rules.

Last edited by virumor; 20/01/12 08:12 PM.
virumor #452939 20/01/12 08:19 PM
veteran
veteran
Virumor,

Any session that involves in-character conversation requires nothing but the ability of the players to adequately convey their character. Whether they are investigating, just talking amongst themselves or talking to NPCs, whole sessions can pass that way.

Sure, they will be part of a larger campaign (At least mostly), but the heart of role playing is freeform acting. The rules are there to provide a framework for the game, not to BE the game.

ANY suitable framework will do.

veteran
veteran
Interesting discussion wink

For me both are enjoyable rpg-genres !

Or to say it like this:
a mix of different rpg-elements into 1 RPG game can make or break everyone's love & passion for that game !
AND : some rpg's have just more great features than another ! But yeah, "What do You find great and what do I find great in a RPG?", that's most of the time something else biggrin

I'm more open-minded, but still I've my favorite rpg-elements.
By accident :
some Genius Minds are still keen in the building of the Larian Studios in Belgium ! They make each time again the most favorite games in my life,

div ForEveR !! rpg007

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard