Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joram #452986 23/01/12 02:40 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
There at RPGWAtch, someone tried a definition : http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1061122798&postcount=23

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
veteran
veteran
Dug out my old definitions:

RPGs: main focus: player choice, characterisation and freedom of action. The player usually has a large amount of choice in what type of character to play, including race, sex, attitudes ('Alignment'), choices in dialogue trees, how the character develops skills and interacts with others, which companions to take along and which to leave behind, romantic choices, etc. The player is rarely straitjacketed in his movements, even from the start of the game, and will have a wide area to roam over. Decisions will often (Though not always) affect the plot (At least in some minor way) and there are often multiple methods to solve quests. EXP is given for quest completion and achieving goals as well as for killing enemies. The world is designed to be as real as possible to draw the player in and allow more choice of action. Combat is most often real time.

JRPGs: main focus: story and plot. The player usually has no choice of which character to play and very limited choice in dialogue or characterisation. No choice of companion or possible romances exists, no or very limited choices in interaction with others. The player will mostly be straitjacketed in their movements to start with, though the map will tend to open out with the acquisition of special vehicles. If you ever get to make decisions, they will be cosmetic only and have no bearing at all on the plot or story in any way. Solving quests invariably involves killing things. EXP is given for killing monsters only. The world exists wholly as a vehicle for the specific characters in the story and no attempt is made to make it look real, though mostly it does look incredibly beautiful. Combat is most often turn based.

Action-RPGs: main focus: combat: the player usually has a large amount of choice in how to configure their character for combat and how to upgrade their fighting skills. Any companions that may exist are combat support only and have nothing to say. Romance is certainly not on the agenda. The player can generally wander wherever they like in their quest to kill stuff. There are no real decisions to make and no plot to speak of as the entire emphasis of the game is on making the combat as fluid, interesting and exciting as possible. Solving quests involves killing things. EXP is given for killing things. The world is designed to be brutal, unforgiving and to generate vast hordes of opponents. It's possibly even less realistic than JRPGs in that every settlement should be overrun in seconds (As opposed to minutes for most JRPG settlements ). Combat is always real time, as the entire point of the game is to create a fast, furious and exciting combat simulation.

Last edited by Elliot_Kane; 23/01/12 10:07 PM.

Please click the banner...
veteran
veteran
But what with games as :
the Withcher ? > you can only play with a male hero, Gerald.
Divinity II ? > mostly named a action rpg, but I find it's more than that ! but that's MY opinion wink

Just wondering about that ... smile

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Joram #453015 24/01/12 12:58 PM
veteran
veteran
This is why I say 'usually' smile There are exceptions and hybrids, just to make the whole thing worse.

Witcher is definitely an RPG, despite there only being one character, because the emphasis is on 'player choice, characterisation and freedom of action'.

DD is a hybrid between an RPG and an ARPG, being strongly action-focused but still offering some pretty good choices and player options.

Jade Empire is the worst, though, because it's a hybrid between all three! laugh

Demonic Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
@Jorom

Gerald? No, this is Gerald.

Geralt is the hero The Witcher and this is him.

Joram #453052 25/01/12 09:03 PM
Demonic Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
You know...I might just try the game when it hits the Xbox. The combat actually looks quite difficult. It seems I was wrong about what I said before. It seems like an improvement over the first IMO.

Last edited by Demonic; 25/01/12 09:03 PM.
Demonic #453065 26/01/12 10:50 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Demonic
@Jorom

Gerald? No, this is Gerald.

Geralt is the hero The Witcher and this is him.

Sorry, I make a fault to write Geralt with a 'd' oops

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
Joram #454904 24/04/12 06:46 AM
veteran
veteran
Despites I can only play with 1 kind of a hero (Geralt) .. I read very good comments about The Witcher !! And now it's on xbox too, jiiihaaa ! claphands

Have someone played The Witcher II on Xbox (or PC) and what are your impressions so far?
Is it true you can choose in dialogs between fighting or solve a problem without fighting ? That will be very nice, I like this kind of freedom.

And did you find (some or many?) "humour" in this game ? I really hope there are at least from time to time humouristic acts, dialogs, funny voice acting (dialects?) or whatever can be funny ... smile

If this game is too seriously I don't buy it (I'm afraid) and I better can play further on and on & on Divnity II : The Dragon Knight Saga, the most fantastic & most funny game in the world !!! ... at least in MY world of fantasy :hihi: !

Joram #454913 24/04/12 10:59 AM
Demonic Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Still haven't played the game but based on the videos I've seen, you can choose to avoid some fights by talking and there seems to be some occasion humor in dialogue which was pretty well done in my opinion. Probably best to go and watch a few videos before coming to a decision.

Demonic #454914 24/04/12 12:06 PM
veteran
veteran
You can certainly avoid some fights by talking, yes. And sometimes you can use certain abilities in conversation to affect the outcome. It's incredibly well done.

veteran
veteran
O yes smile This all strenghten my wish to start playing this RPG right now ... but first I've to buy the game for my Xbox :hihi: ... otherwise it only excist as a Dream in my mind !

Lucky I've more place in my mind than only for one RPG at the time ... otherwise I've a really big problem trying to pull all the Divnity parts out of my mind while I know I WILL FAIL once more !! biggrin

Joram #454919 24/04/12 06:26 PM
addict
addict
The Xbox 360 port is incredibly good. Enhanced Edition came with some bonus goodies like a soundtrack and quest book. Good on CD Projekt and WB.

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
veteran
veteran
Yes, I'm pleased !
And not to forget a very nice looking game world map ! I like that ! smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard