Next Thread
Print Thread
D
DaveM Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
AdbeRdr930_es.exe is freezing up my install (Amazon Download of the digital copy)

The exact text showing in the setup program is:

Extracting Files....
c:\Program Files\Divinity II\support\Adobe\AdbeRdr930_es.exe

Any help? Running Windows 7, anti-virus disabled, as administrator, DX11, ATI 5770.

Any know solutions?

Support
Support

In general, problems during install can often be helped by rebooting the computer, shutting down all non-essential programs, etc, and trying again, but it sounds like you've already done that.

Did you try just waiting awhile? The Adobe reader may be the last thing extracted, and it could just be taking it awhile to start the actual install.

Does Amazon list the size and checksum values for the downloaded files somewhere, or have a way to verify them?

Did you try contacting Amazon's support, or check if they have a forum or FAQ with similar problems reported?

Do you have lots of free space on your c: drive, for the Windows' temp folder?

Does the install program lock up during the initial extraction, or does it start the game install and lock up when it gets to the Adobe reader? If the former, did you check the temp folder for a setup program you might be able to install the game from? If the latter, and the game itself was mostly installed, does Amazon have an option to 'verify local files' for a game, like Steam does?

D
stranger
stranger
D
I having the same issue at the same exact spot (same exact file), could be a problem on Amazon's end. I'll be contacting them as well. I've downloaded the game twice and it's quit both times in the same location.

Unfortunately, Amazon's downloader is pretty basic and doesn't seem to have a verify built-in, as far as i can tell.

Edit: ignore, it just went that part, it just took 20 minutes though, whereas the rest of the install took 10-15. Seems off.

Last edited by Dhamaal; 06/03/12 02:28 AM.
Support
Support

Thanks for the update. Hopefully DaveM will also just need to wait for the install to continue.

Welcome to the forum. wave

D
DaveM Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
I restarted, re-downloaded and compared the files, disabled as many processes running as possible and waited and waited 1hr+ and gave up and closed the setup from the task manager. I then clicked launder.exe from the folder and the game ran, so hopefully nothing essential would have been needed to be installed after the support files.... maybe a manual?

Support
Support

Check the game folder for a manual_en.pdf file. I'd guess it would have been installed before the support files.

There is a support tool you can download and run to generate a diagnostic report. Presumably any missing files would be listed in the report.xml file (which I assume can be viewed in a browser or text editor).

If there are any problems listed, or the file is hard to read, you can email it to support@larian.com, with a description of the problem and maybe a link to this topic (see the DKS support page).

J
stranger
stranger
J
I had a similar issue with the install hanging on the Adobe Reader files. It took about 5 minutes each to install them, but it worked eventually. The game also seems to work fine. However, I don't have a game manual, so I have no idea what I'm doing. Looking at other threads, it's either in the steamapps folder for steam versions or on the DVD for retail versions, but I don't have a manual_en.pdf anywhere for the Amazon version. How can I get one?

Support
Support

Did you try using the Windows search function? (might need to go into the advanced options to search in hidden and system folders, or something)

Does Amazon have the manual listed somewhere as a separate download?

If that doesn't help, the replacementdocs site has a link to download the DKS manual.

J
stranger
stranger
J
Amazon didn't have anything and a full scan only revealed manuals for my other games. Thanks for the replacementdocs link, though! Game tutorials and loading hints are nice, but there's no substitute for a real well-written manual. I'm not sure why it wasn't included in the first place.

enthusiast
enthusiast
We are aware of this problem. It's a compression issue. The installer will always finish, but depending on your processor speed it will take longer.

We have sent Amazon a new version and this should be available as soon as they put it online.

I
stranger
stranger
I
Amazon certainly are taking their time updating the installer. Just downloaded from their website today and they still use the problematic installer. Good to know the install will eventually finish, so I'll just wait.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Hello everyone.

There is a work around solution to this problem which Amazon and myself found while I was talking to their tech rep.
This only applies to an Amazon digital download as far as I know though it might be adaptable/applicable to other download sources.

This is a copy of the email the Amazon rep sent after the problem was solved.

Hi Adean,

Thanks for your patience and courtesy while we did troubleshooting for your "Divinity 2" game. I'm really pleased we actually got it to work. I've documented what we did to get it working and submitted it to our software engineers so hopefully this will help prevent a headache for someone else. Here is a copy for your reference.

Here is how it works.
1) Amazon Downloader puts 3 bin files and an extractor setup file onto the desktop.
2) The extractor setup file on the desktop is run, it extracts the game files into c:\program files\divinity II .
3) The final file to be extracted is an adobe file c:\Program Files\Divinity II\support\Adobe\AdbeRdr930_es.exe and it hangs.
4) If we cancel out of the setup extractor from the desktop because of the adobe freeze it will delete everything from c:\program files\divinity II leaving an empty folder.

5) Our fix was to use the task manager and kill the adobe setup and the desktop extractor before it got the chance to delete the game files from the c:\program files\divinity II .

6) task manager kill list:
setupDK2.exe
setup.exe

IMPORTANT!
As shown in #6 task manager kill list: above, you MUST kill/end the setup.exe FIRST as that is the Adobe installer.

Once you have clicked kill/end then you will have another application show up in the Task Manager named "unist" something or other. Sorry, I can't remember the name exactly as I killed it ASAP. This is the uninstaller that will remove everything except the game folder and a sub folder named "support" which Adobe would be installed in. Once that has been done you can kill/end the setupDK2.exe.

7) The desktop extractor will try to delete the game files, so we had to kill it's process before it got the chance.

All that is left is to start your game and enjoy.

I am running Windows7 64bit so my install directory tree is
c:\program files (X86)\divinity II.
XP users will have the same directories as above.

I can not say enough good about the Amazon rep. He is a smart guy. He stuck with an almost 30 minute phone call. He was interested in the problem and, what is more, was interested in the solution. As an older guy myself (54 years old) what impressed me the most was that he knows how to listen.
Well done young man, well done.

Support
Support

Thanks for the report.

Did you try renaming or moving the game folder when the install program hung? Unless Windows complains about files/folders being in use, that might be easier than using the Task Manager to kill the setup programs before they can clean up after themselves.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by Raze

Thanks for the report.

Did you try renaming or moving the game folder when the install program hung? Unless Windows complains about files/folders being in use, that might be easier than using the Task Manager to kill the setup programs before they can clean up after themselves.

Thank you, and no. I just allowed "nature" to take it's course...to a point.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard