Next Thread
Print Thread
Raze Offline OP
Support
OP Offline
Support

This is essentially a copy of the post FIX for broken Holy Items quest[/i]
As before, credits go to;
Kordoba - '[i]OK I GOT IT!! This is how to get your Explosive Keg back or any other lost item!'
and
Harglowe - 'Rimmer is missing'. Both are quoted as references in this topic.

Background;

When you speak to Corinna the Summoner, in Verdistis, she agrees to teach you some of what she knows about summoning (which frankly, is not much). You need to bring her three items first, which include a branch from the Talking Tree in the Dark Forest. When you complain about having to travel such a distance, she informs you that it should not be necessary, since merchants often have them.

Mpenzak does in fact have a branch which he is pretty sure is from the talking tree, but there are no blatant clues that it is actually a fake. The description when hovering your mouse over it is the same as the real branch. During the summoning, Corinna puts the tree branch, summoning book and a plant from her garden in a pentagram. There should be three sound effects with three rings of light that radiate outwards, after each of which one of the items in the pentagram disappears, and the summoning ritual is completed successfully. If you give Corinna the fake branch, however, there are only two sounds/light effects, the branch remains in the pentagram, the demon breaks loose, kills her and attacks you.

If you have a recent save, you can simply re-load and wait until you get the real branch. Talk to the alchemist in the Dark Forest before going to the tree, he has a quest as well for you, which can be done at the same time. Also, save before talking to the tree; he can be rather cranky if you don't get the right speech options. If you do not have a save before the summoning failed and Corinna died.... she should at least have dropped some good stuff, but there is not way to fix this (that I know of).

However, if you have a save after giving Corinna the fake branch, but before helping her perform the ritual, there is a way to successfully complete the questl, earn the experience and learn a level of Banish.

[color:"yellow"]Please read this post through before attempting, and make sure you follow the steps below carefully.[/color] The story files contain the details of where you are in all quests. If you keep a set from a different game (where things were not done in the exact same order) you will break quests, possibly ones required to complete the game. You can download the story.000 and story.001 files (718KB) from my game, saved after giving Corinna the correct branch.

Solution;

1) Download the zip file with my story.000 and story.001 files, link above (see warning), and extract them to a temporary location.

2) If you have not done so yet, give Corinna the plant from her garden, and agree to help with the summoning. Without stepping into the third pentagram, save your game under a new name (better safe than sorry), such as 'before summon'.

3) Make a backup of the story.000 and story.001 files in the newly saved game folder, perhaps by moving them into a subfolder. [color:"yellow"]Important[/color]: you must restore these files at the end of the procedure.

3b) Confirm that you have completed step 3.

4) Copy my story.000 and story.001 files into the 'before summon' folder, overwriting the files there if necessary.

5) Re-load the 'before summon' save.

6) Step into the pentagram a bit north west of Corinna, and watch the summoning proceed. As soon as the demon is gone, before talking to Corinna, save the game under a new name, such as 'after summon'

7) Delete the story.000 and story.001 files from the 'after summon' folder, and replace them with the backup copy of those files from the 'before summon' folder.

7b) Confirm that you have completed step 7.

8) Re-load the 'after summon' save.

9) Talk to Corinna; you will successfully complete the quest, getting the experience and level of Banish.

Last edited by Raze; 06/08/17 12:25 AM. Reason: fix links
Raze Offline OP
Support
OP Offline
Support

There is a way to partially recover from giving Corinna the fake tree branch. Using the method in the post below, she can be brought back for the purposes of trading (she sells silver charms and occasionally spell books). She will not talk to you, however, so none of the quests she is involved in can be completed or fixed this way.

Reviving dead NPCs

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard