Print Thread
#458726 28/10/12 09:32 PM
R
RIPDime Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
I know this has been asked a few times but none of the answers i've found so far have worked. After the ending cinematic of ED before it loads into FOV to continue my toon the screen is black with the spinning D on the bottom right, then it goes completely black for a couple of seconds and then winblows pops up a box telling me it stopped responding. My computer is far from beastly but its plenty good enough to run this. I found a thread where it said that AC3 codec was bad, so i DL'd that, no luck. found one that said it could have something to do with screen resolution, changed that and still nothing. I emailed support but my experience with most places is the fans are a lot faster to answer than support is. Did verify my cache in steam too. it found one file that was wrong but it fixed it.

Support
Support

Can you create a new character at the start of FoV? (just to see if it is an issue with the beginning of FoV or the transition itself)

Try setting the game resolution to be the same as the desktop resolution, if it wasn't already.

[PC] Support FAQ - The Dragon Knight Saga

One person with a crash moving from Farglow to Broken Valley avoided the problem by temporarily switching to window mode (Solution to crash (black screen) on XP).
To try, open the graphicoptions.xml file in a text editor, and in the line Fullscreen="1" change the 1 to a zero, save and restart the game.

In XP this file is in the folder
C:\Documents and Settings\ %username% \Local Settings\Application Data\Divinity 2\Profile

or in Vista / Win 7

C:\Users\ %username% \AppData\Local\Divinity 2\Profile

You may need to set Windows Explorer to show hidden files and folders (XP, Vista, Win 7).

I'm not sure what the name of the cutscene video is at the start of FoV (the files are in the '...\Divinity II - DKS\data\Video\Story' folder), but it should be obvious (IIRC all the FoV videos start with EXP_). You could try playing it in WMP (though you already updated the audio codec, so it should play fine in Windows), or rename it to get the game to skip playing that video (which may help with the transition into FoV).

R
RIPDime Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Thank you for the quick response. I have been trying all those things. renamed both the ending movie for ED and the beginning movie for FOV. they don't play anymore but the game still crashes. I am really REALLY tired of hearing that guy in the crystal's speech now lol been about 20 times trying to get through this. I was able to open a new game in the xpac but it has half the hp and mana as my real character and 0 gear so its really going to suck if i have to use it. I think this thing corrupted my game somehow though. Cuz after it crashes I try to reload the saves I have in the last part of ED and they don't load the first couple of times. But yeah my resolution is dumbed way down on the game and my actual computer doing 1024x768 atm. hard to believe this used to be considered good lol

Support
Support

With a new character you are given gold to buy new equipment (and you'd likely be upgrading the majority of your D2:ED character's equipment, anyway). I'm not sure if you have many alchemy and enchantment ingredients to start with, not you can always send the battle tower runners to get more.

Check your messages (click 'My Stuff' in the top menu bar, then 'Messages').

Support
Support

Did you get this fixed? You should have D2:DC in your Steam game library now, so could try your save with that version.

veteran
veteran
IIRC DKS using new savegame format eve for ED saves so you can just start FoV, save on some slot you want and then just replace that slow with latest save at the end of the game and start it as FoV? Afair, there is some workaround, but I forgot since it was, ugh, ages ago.

Support
Support

I don't know anything about that workaround, but support fixed RIPDime's save.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by Raze

One person with a crash moving from Farglow to Broken Valley avoided the problem by temporarily switching to window mode (Solution to crash (black screen) on XP).
To try, open the graphicoptions.xml file in a text editor, and in the line Fullscreen="1" change the 1 to a zero, save and restart the game.

In XP this file is in the folder
C:\Documents and Settings\ %username% \Local Settings\Application Data\Divinity 2\Profile

or in Vista / Win 7

C:\Users\ %username% \AppData\Local\Divinity 2\Profile

You may need to set Windows Explorer to show hidden files and folders (XP, Vista, Win 7).

I just wanted to let everyone know that I had the same issue as above (Black screen after the final cutscene in ED), and running the game in windowed mode as above, and that did resolve the problem. Once I got into the game in FoV and saved, I switched back and haven't had any issues.

As an addendum, this is on Windows 7 64bit with the Steam Version of The Dragon Knight Saga.

Support
Support

Thanks for the feedback.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard