Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman

R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
Sounds pretty disappointing I have to say, the preview made it sound like a standard 150 apm RTS in which your dragon is a one shot power with a lamentably over-involved interface.

Also in this quote.

If you choose the undead bride, one of the options in her storyline is to transform her into a human. “A half-naked human, I notice!” I say to Larian CEO Swen Vincke, looking at some concept art of her topless human form. Swen agrees.

“Yes! It’s a game for boys… it’s not really for girls.”

I have to append "or men." When I was 14 that kind of thing would have really appealed, now? It's just tacky and makes it harder to take the game seriously.

Originally Posted by Rack
“Yes! It’s a game for boys… it’s not really for girls.”

You'd think a political simulator with dragons would be an easy sell to either gender, but apparently it was decided to shrink the potential consumer base?

I'm willing to believe that this was a spur-of-the-moment comment before the brain really realised what the mouth was saying, but it's not exactly good PR no matter how you slice it.

M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
The tone of the article is rather negative. Fair enough; not everyone in the world will like Dragon Commander. Can't be helped.

But I'd just like to say - to give one example - that the story line of Ophelia can end in many different ways and in some of them she can become a living human woman, yes. She is indeed clad in red cloth from the waist down, though her long hair still keeps her presentation relatively modest. The idea behind this, is really not 'Boobs! Wooo!' Going against the wishes and concerns of her own kin she has become human and her body is new to her: it is something she is discovering, which is reflected in the dialogue.

It irks me - in this case because of a somewhat offhand comment - when all of this is simplified as cheap and tacky. I've put a lot, a lot of effort in these dialogs to make sure these characters feel like people, like individuals. This is not reflected in the article at all, but I sincerely hope that once people get their hands on the actual game they'll quickly realise we're shooting for an audience more mature than the 14 year old wanting a peek at an issue of Playboy. It does a lot of discredit to the work of many people at Larian to present it with that wording. I promise that's true.

Anyway, just thought I'd clarify.

P.S. And about the player-is-male-by-default issue. This is a result of the inevitable changes and challenges that befall development. Yes, in the beginning you could be male or female and marry a male or female: your choice. First we made the story lines of the princesses with the idea we could make a male version out of them, but it turned out that wouldn't really work out that well and that we'd need new story lines entirely for the princes. Because of time restraints that failed to materialise. That's really too bad, but there is really nothing more to it.

I am in blood
Stepp'd in so far, that, should I wade no more,
Returning were as tedious as go o'er.
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Nice find Fernando thanks,
The article didn’t seem all that bad to me, the guy just seemed a little bored, or tired maybe?

Also I disagree Rack, it sounded to me personally like the dragon was too weak, and that if you played as the dragon for more than a few seconds your entire game would be messed up…

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
The article sounded mostly completely normal to me. Excepting lines like "made for a certain kind of a boy". Anyway, the guy apparently didn't play very much of it (maybe 1-2 turns? He didn't even personally meet the made-human princess but saw just the concept, I understood), so it should really be taken as first impressions.

journeyman
journeyman
Often I prefer to play a game myself before I make a judgement on the game. From actual game footage I have seen, I say the game looks pretty amazing, and when they release beta keys (When is that, by the way?) then we can take a good look at the game and see exactly how it works. Don't put down the studio as of yet, see the work for yourself and see if the game is to your liking.

I am looking forward to the beta (which in the twitch tv stream they said "We will be giving out beta keys to everyone we can." so if you ask, its likely you can get in, don't have to be a backer.

apprentice
apprentice
I don't really take mainstream gaming journalism sites seriously anymore when it comes to preview\reviews. PCGamer is now different.

I'll wait and try the game for myself.

I'll try the game for myself, but honestly... it doesn't have much appeal. It incorporates a number of elements that have been done in greater depth in other games, and doesn't really bring anything new or exciting to the table. It's fairly easy to see why some people may be negatively pre-disposed toward the game, particularly when it's in a constant state of implicit comparison to Original Sin--a much more exciting title.

Originally Posted by Arsene Lupin
It's fairly easy to see why some people may be negatively pre-disposed toward the game, particularly when it's in a constant state of implicit comparison to Original Sin--a much more exciting title.

You know, I don't see it. Original Sin, to me, is just another RPG. A good one, sure, but hardly an exciting new concept unless you're really into co-op.

The only comparisons to Dragon Commander I can come up with are Dynasty Warriors: Empires and Total War, both series that don't have many imitators and which are both rather lacking in the role-playing-the-empire bit. Dragon Commander is not just an RTS, after all.

But perhaps there are a plethora of titles like Dragon Commander already out there and I just don't know of them.

R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
Originally Posted by demidevil
Nice find Fernando thanks,
The article didn’t seem all that bad to me, the guy just seemed a little bored, or tired maybe?

Also I disagree Rack, it sounded to me personally like the dragon was too weak, and that if you played as the dragon for more than a few seconds your entire game would be messed up…

I think we might have my wires crossed, my problem is that the dragon is de-emphasised, I was hoping it was a major part of the gameplay rather than an occasional one-shot power. Maybe the different dragons will enable this to be emphasised and even have dragon powers that limit the micromanagement of your army. We shall see.

For my money Original Sin is still more interesting because you just don't see good turn based rpgs any more. Even the good ones from the past (Fallout, Ultima) are clunky by modern standards. If Larian do this right it's something we've never seen before, Dragon Commander is also looking innovative a cross between Brutal Legend/Sacrifice/Pikmin and Starcraft 2 with a touch of Drakkhen but for my money less interesting than Original Sin.

Oh and thanks for the feedback Macbeth, I have to say the plotline and central choice of Ophelia sounds extremely strong, I'm much more worried about the artistic presentation. Good writing can go a long way to make it feel natural but I have to admit that I'm worried that no level of writing can make "I'm new to this body and haven't worked out how clothes work" seem like anything other than blatant fan-service. If you do pull it off I'll be extremely impressed.

M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
Originally Posted by Rack
Oh and thanks for the feedback Macbeth, I have to say the plotline and central choice of Ophelia sounds extremely strong, I'm much more worried about the artistic presentation. Good writing can go a long way to make it feel natural but I have to admit that I'm worried that no level of writing can make "I'm new to this body and haven't worked out how clothes work" seem like anything other than blatant fan-service. If you do pull it off I'll be extremely impressed.

Well, I tried and in a while you can judge for yourself! smile

Also, there are different types of (semi)nudity, no? 'Nude' doesn't have to equal 'smutty' at all: it can simply celebrate the beauty of the human body. It's my fond hope Ophelia's transformation will be viewed as sensual - in all its meanings - rather than sexual. That she'll be a Botticelli Venus, say, but definitely not a Playboy Bunny.

I am in blood
old hand
old hand
Well I'll admit I'm more eager for D-OS than DC (but this has to do with my preference for exploration over warfare - or rpg to strategy games). I very much like the total-war series though I've not played it in a while (rome total war was the one I played). I do hope there is a method to 'slow' down combat in single player as well as pause (I can see how in multiplayer this might not be appropriate smile ).
-
The semi-nudity bit - well I think pcgamer comment was inappropriate and distracting and I hope it doesn't hurt Larian Studio (or the game sale); but that is my view. Why do I think the comment was inappropriate - it was out of context and speculative which is rather poor and bias reporting. But that's life dealing with the media.
-
Oh well. Anyways I ordered DC as part of the D-OS kickstart; and maybe i will be pleasantly surprise but I don't think anyone will ever know one way or the other smile

Last edited by meme; 30/04/13 01:12 PM.
old hand
old hand
As far as I know the nudity that is spoken about is based on this concept art:
[Linked Image]

I know Larian and their games long enough to know that they don't go for the cheap nudity or shocking value tricks. I think the Swen quote is ripped out of context or it was sarcasm that got lost in translation.

I'm still surprised by the "accusations" Larian gets, while their are lots of other games which go way further.

The witcher has female sexual conquests as collectible cards.

Morrigan from Dragon Age wears less than the concept art girl from Original Sin.
[Linked Image]

journeyman
journeyman
I don't like lizard people having boobs, but hey, it's a fantasy world, so whatever. I do however take issue with the lizard princess in D:DC looking like an Asari (which is a whole other can of worms), but I just assume she's a weird human/lizard hybrid, which does have to be possible I suppose as the whole idea behind political marriages is largely based on creating offspring.

Anyway, what the princesses wear is slightly odd, but a) it's crazy steampunk and b) they aren't fighters, so as far as I am concerned they can wear whatever they want. Female-exclusive inefficient armor exposing vital areas (or at the very least the impression thereof, c.f. D:OS) is the only thing that would be an actual problem, and a major one at that.

And regarding D:DC vs. D:OS: Yeah, I'm more excited for D:OS as it's a kind of game this probatanthrope here already knows he loves (plus droolworthy editor), but I am much more curious about D:DC as it seems to be the first game that lets you satisfyingly role-play a ruler (plus jetpacked dragon). I love the Total War, King Arthur, Europa Universalis and Crusader Kings games, but while they're better in other respects they don't quite manage to scratch that particular itch.

Proud Probatanthrope

Tor.com: Boob Plate Armor Would Kill You (cf. "ball plate armor" - Just think about it.)
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Macbeth

Well, I tried and in a while you can judge for yourself! smile

If I may ask, How soon is "a while?" lol.

M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
That is indeed the concept, Merendrious.

Originally Posted by Alastar
If I may ask, How soon is "a while?" lol.

To give a perfectly true but annoying answer: when it's done! wink

I am in blood
M
addict
addict
M
Also, there are different types of (semi)nudity, no? 'Nude' doesn't have to equal 'smutty' at all: it can simply celebrate the beauty of the human body. It's my fond hope Ophelia's transformation will be viewed as sensual - in all its meanings - rather than sexual. That she'll be a Botticelli Venus, say, but definitely not a Playboy Bunny.

I'm sorry, but on my first playthrough I'll try make her a cyborg. Like every nerd I talked to about the game, that (and the jetpack) were selling points laugh

veteran
veteran
The tone of the article is rather negative. Fair enough; not everyone in the world will like Dragon Commander. Can't be helped.

But I'd just like to say - to give one example - that the story line of Ophelia can end in many different ways and in some of them she can become a living human woman, yes. She is indeed clad in red cloth from the waist down, though her long hair still keeps her presentation relatively modest. The idea behind this, is really not 'Boobs! Wooo!' Going against the wishes and concerns of her own kin she has become human and her body is new to her: it is something she is discovering, which is reflected in the dialogue.

It irks me - in this case because of a somewhat offhand comment - when all of this is simplified as cheap and tacky. I've put a lot, a lot of effort in these dialogs to make sure these characters feel like people, like individuals. This is not reflected in the article at all, but I sincerely hope that once people get their hands on the actual game they'll quickly realise we're shooting for an audience more mature than the 14 year old wanting a peek at an issue of Playboy. It does a lot of discredit to the work of many people at Larian to present it with that wording. I promise that's true.

Anyway, just thought I'd clarify.

P.S. And about the player-is-male-by-default issue. This is a result of the inevitable changes and challenges that befall development. Yes, in the beginning you could be male or female and marry a male or female: your choice. First we made the story lines of the princesses with the idea we could make a male version out of them, but it turned out that wouldn't really work out that well and that we'd need new story lines entirely for the princes. Because of time restraints that failed to materialise. That's really too bad, but there is really nothing more to it.

I have no doubt at all that Dragon Commander will be the best game in existence so far. Haters are always going to hate no matter what happens. You could say something as simple as "The sky is blue" and those who want to hate are going to find a reason to hate.

M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
'The best game in existence so far' - well, I never said that. wink
But I do think Divinity fans will love it!

I am in blood
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  ForkTong, Issh, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard