Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#495658 19/05/14 08:26 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Over all, I know this is a great product. It is easy to keep on going on with the cool parts for the next 4 hours, but this post is intended on making sure no one has a very miserable experience.

The first time I played the game, two main issues that I ran into occurred that made for the most miserable gaming experience of my life.

1.) Didn't realize you HAD to buy or acquire skill books. This is sort-of addressed when you go into the skills. I still think a tutorial pop-up would be great to ensure players know this. I'd have it activate at either the market or barracks.

2.) Recruiting party members. I seriously think a tutorial pop-up that requires reading and clicking ok before continuing the venture threw the gates is necessary.

I remember going threw the hot-key interface is seeing all the spells the first play threw. This time in there it tells you that you need to get a skill book to learn another spell. I don't think I would have made mistake #1 but I'm not 100% on that.

I would have definitely made the 2nd mistake on not finding at least one other person to join my group. This of course would make the game very difficult if not impossible to play. I did see dialog at all the gates suggesting you have a larger party, but I didn't go upstairs in the mayors house and missed seeing the warrior NPC in the tavern. It just seems like the warrior NPC is kinda hidden in that corner with the curtains. Last time I didn't notice the duke there as well.

The battle before going into the cave to fight Arhu's robot was stupid hard. I had only 3 game reloads until I finally not only beat Arhu's machine, but saved at least two of the other NPC's as well. Fighting the two bone archers, three undead boars, two undead wizards and three zombies prior took a lot of tries.

Casting bloodletting spell on an undead board would make the ooze spread all over the game map. This keeps spreading until the boar is killed off. The boar has to be on land though, if it is in the river, the ooze won't spread.

Anyway, that seems to be the largest issues that I've found. I like the new Evelin battle far more with her summoning a ton of monsters. Before she just felt like a mage with a ton of HP.

Jewlery, constant copies. One issue I've noticed is that once you find a few pieces of jewlery, the rest you find keeps being copies. In the end, I get tons of rings and necklaces offering the same bonuses.

Tutorial Mode Suggestion: When creating a game, there should be a check box that is checked by default to have the game enter tutorial mode which enables all the pop up messages to guide you. IF the game has existing saves, then that check box during character creation can be unchecked by default so you can play threw without any pop-up instructions.

Map Loading Tips: Back in Divinity: Original Sin, there were game user interface tips at each loading screen. Such as using ALT to see items on the ground. I think this would be great to have back.

Rock paper Scissors: It seems like if you save the game right before doing a game, you can remember what the NPC used to win the game next time you load. Most of the time I've found this tactic very successful. I thought it was suppose to be completely random all the time.

Gate door opens inside the rocks: Can the gate doors be moved around a little so they are not opening and sticking threw the stone walls? Would it also be possible to have them fortified with iron bars? They do look weak enough for any kind of battering ram to smash them in.

Again, this game has turned out really great! I really think it will be one that will last threw the ages. I know my kickstarter funds were well spent. This is a beta though, so I know bugs and other issues will be here. That is why we are here to help it be as good as possible on release day.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 19/05/14 08:32 AM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
pts Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Good ideas, would love to see them implemented, especially the tutorial extensions. Maybe larian could check the global chat logs for the most common questions and also address them in the tutorial...

Last edited by pts; 21/05/14 09:55 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard