Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#498215 05/06/14 01:28 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Hello,

Just wondering if this will be happening at all. I'm doubtful the orchestrated pieces will get added to the game, but is the music score going to be played by a live orchestra sometime in the future?

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Well I don't know about orchestras playing out of tune, I never honestly heard a bad one. It is interesting having the music being played live, but recorded individually.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
H
stranger
stranger
H

veteran
veteran
According to the Kickstarter update, Kirill was seriously ill for some time, and while getting better, is still not recovered enough to work, which explains the delay.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by LightningLockey
Well I don't know about orchestras playing out of tune, I never honestly heard a bad one. It is interesting having the music being played live, but recorded individually.

During a live concert the distortion created by the environment cancels out eveything that is slightly out of tune. You are also much less prone to hear musicians mistakes. When you are recording this with high quality equipment this becomes much more obvious.

A good example of this is the annual Queen Elisabeth Contest here in Belgium, where the live audience can get very enthousiastic about a contestants performance while the TV and radio listeners go meh & vice versa.

Even rock music is mostly recorded seperately nowadays and mixed afterwards, unless the band wants to go for a lo-fi live sound.

Last edited by Grodit; 06/06/14 08:21 PM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I just saw the kickstarter update and wish we all knew Kirill was ill so we could have wished him well on the forums. I knew Larian had a ton of music that was never used, probably a bunch from the areas that never made it in Divinity: ED/DKS.

Honestly, if I got to play a game with 20-30 musical tracks, I'd be happy. With a game that will have 130, that is mind boggling!

As for the experience of hearing an orchestra live, I just thought it was the extra sound wave vibrations from the instruments that speakers cannot reproduce. Even the orchestras I've heard on TV or off of youtube, they still sound great unless the quality was super low on the video.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 06/06/14 11:15 PM.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by LightningLockey
I just saw the kickstarter update and wish we all knew Kirill was ill so we could have wished him well on the forums.

Agreed! Get well soon mate.

As for 130 musical tracks, that is exceptional! I have a lot of Kirill Pokrovsky's music on my hard disk, downloaded over the years as he released pieces online. It is all excellent.

addict
addict
yeah I wish him a good recovery. For my part I am just astonished by the number of musics 130, WTF?!!!
well they all be on the OST CD? I doubt it unefortunately. I am alway amazed by Kirill's work so even if Larian reuse old musics (even non chosen ones for the previous games) they will be awesome laugh laugh

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
A
addict
addict
A
130 tracks is nice, for sure, but a large part of those come from earlier Divinity games. So the actual number of new tracks is not so big. Personally, I'm confused about the statement that composer was sick for a while - did he actually finish his work with the orchestra, or were those old tracks just put into the game because he didn't? Him doing orchestrated music was one of the kickstarter goals and I'd hate to see yet another one of those not fulfilled.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Aramintai
130 tracks is nice, for sure, but a large part of those come from earlier Divinity games. So the actual number of new tracks is not so big. Personally, I'm confused about the statement that composer was sick for a while - did he actually finish his work with the orchestra, or were those old tracks just put into the game because he didn't? Him doing orchestrated music was one of the kickstarter goals and I'd hate to see yet another one of those not fulfilled.

100+ have never been used before in any game. They had a lot made for the first two Divinity games but didn't end up using them.

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon

100+ have never been used before in any game. They had a lot made for the first two Divinity games but didn't end up using them.

Still, isn't it still sort of cheating? Bringing some old stuff out of the closet? And what about the orchestrated music?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon

Still, isn't it still sort of cheating? Bringing some old stuff out of the closet? And what about the orchestrated music?

Unfortunately Kirill fell ill, they have done quite a lot of it before that happened though....some 50+ songs and the rest they remastered so it's not like we don't get any of it. As for cheating....well, they paid to have the music done and if they couldn't use it before I don't see why they couldn't use it now.

Support
Support

If there were 'only' the 50 new songs in the soundtrack, would you think it was too few?

Raze #498731 08/06/14 09:00 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Raze

If there were 'only' the 50 new songs in the soundtrack, would you think it was too few?

Good point....I wasn't thinking that at all btw, but very good point.

Raze #498734 08/06/14 09:12 PM
A
addict
addict
A

It's not the matter of quantity, but of what was promised. Specifically, orchestrated music, not the one made on synthesizer. A good soundtrack may consist of even fewer than 20 tracks, but if they are memorable and of good quality then that trumps having hundreds of generic tunes. So, I don't want to bash anyone here, but maybe these old tracks weren't used before because of exactly this reason.

Last edited by Aramintai; 08/06/14 09:13 PM.
veteran
veteran

It's not the matter of quantity, but of what was promised. Specifically, orchestrated music, not the one made on synthesizer. A good soundtrack may consist of even fewer than 20 tracks, but if they are memorable and of good quality then that trumps having hundreds of generic tunes. So, I don't want to bash anyone here, but maybe these old tracks weren't used before because of exactly this reason.

Or they weren't used because they didn't fit the atmosphere.....these tracks have been remastered and I see no reason to distrust Larian here. It's not as simple as choosing the best music because not all music fits any setting.

veteran
veteran
I hope that once Kirill is better, that they will finish up the orchestral tracks, even if they end up coming much later than the game releases.

Link Copied to Clipboard