Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#499308 14/06/14 04:21 AM
Dmnqwk Offline OP
OP Offline
If I wanted to create a Fighter/Scoundrel hybrid there seems no way to begin with both a dagger and a shield.

Is release going to add the option to pick your starting weapon combos, because Daggers seem bad without a shield in the off hand (dagger only = 2 hits for half damage, dagger + shield = 1 hit for full, since absorb takes more off the 2 hits, wielding a starter shield seems superior).

Also I can't seem to examine status effects since the only way to show them on an enemy is mouse over, so your cursor is stuck there and unable to go view the status to see what it's doing.

Dmnqwk #499311 14/06/14 06:09 AM
veteran
veteran
Being able to pick your starting weapons and armor should be a part of the character customization process, but for some reason we don't have that option.

We actually used to be able to pick our starting armor, but lost that feature somewhere along the way.

Some might argue that these items will become replaced quickly, but that's not something new players are going to know or be comforted by when being frustrated by this during character creation. There are also several combat opportunities prior to finding specific upgrades, and I suspect players are going to want to use their preferred loadout from the start.

Dmnqwk #499326 14/06/14 11:53 AM
veteran
veteran
Honestly, I'm not really sure why you would want to create a fighter/scoundrel hybrid. Those are essentially the two opposing ways to make a melee attacker (A Tank type with high Strength, and a fragile type with high evasion).

They use different weapons with different primary attribute requirements. Fighters like a lot of Strength and Constitution, Rogues like Dexterity and Speed. It'll be hard - if not impossible - to get enough primary attributes to do both well.

The skills are similar, but are also restricted with what weapons they'll work with. Half your skills will be unavailable when wielding one of the weapons, meaning you'll have to switch weapons, which costs AP in combat.

My recommendation is to pick the weapon type you want to use, and then you can just put a point into one of the other skill sets and pick up a few skills that you can use from the other set with any weapon type.

You can use a Dagger + Shield, but that runs into the issue of shields needing higher and higher STR requirements.

The Dagger DOES only do one hit, but it's displayed as being split in half. That's why if you miss with one hit, you miss with both.

B
stranger
stranger
B
I think that if they made dexterity reduce the amount of action points it takes to switch weapons, it would be perfect. Dexterity characters(bow/dagger) are essentially the only ones I can see needing to switch in combat. The other solid option is making daggers a "quick" switch. You can take a dagger out for one or maybe no AP, but taking your primary weapon out would still be the normal AP cost.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Honestly, I'm not really sure why you would want to create a fighter/scoundrel hybrid. Those are essentially the two opposing ways to make a melee attacker (A Tank type with high Strength, and a fragile type with high evasion).

They use different weapons with different primary attribute requirements. Fighters like a lot of Strength and Constitution, Rogues like Dexterity and Speed. It'll be hard - if not impossible - to get enough primary attributes to do both well.

The skills are similar, but are also restricted with what weapons they'll work with. Half your skills will be unavailable when wielding one of the weapons, meaning you'll have to switch weapons, which costs AP in combat.

My recommendation is to pick the weapon type you want to use, and then you can just put a point into one of the other skill sets and pick up a few skills that you can use from the other set with any weapon type.

You can use a Dagger + Shield, but that runs into the issue of shields needing higher and higher STR requirements.

The Dagger DOES only do one hit, but it's displayed as being split in half. That's why if you miss with one hit, you miss with both.

Stabbey, I think you misread what he said. He wants to use a dagger in his main hand and a *starter shield* in another. He's not trying to level up DEX and STR at the same time, which is why he's staying with the starter shield in the off hand.

His interest isn't in using better and better shields, merely in occupying his hand with the lowest requirement one available (the starter shield) because it changes the way dagger attacks work in a way he prefers.

veteran
veteran
All that does is change the way the damage is displayed. There isn't any difference in absorption between dagger and dagger-with-shield.

I just did a quick test using the Bloody Dagger (5-10) and my cleric, who has a shield. My listed damage is 7-13.

With Shield:

7 damage, (2) absorbed
9, (3)
8, (3)
10, (3)
7, (2)

Without Shield:

3 damage, (1) absorbed + 4 damage, (1) absorbed = 7 damage, (2) absorbed
5, (1) + 5, (2) = 10, (3)
4, (1) + 5, (2) = 9, (3)
4, (1) + 5, (2) = 9, (3)
4, (1) + 4, (2) = 8, (3)

See, the total damage + absorbed is the same, whether it's one attack or two. If that's his only reason for wanting a shield, then he can, but it might not be the best use for an attribute point.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Stabbey
If that's his only reason for wanting a shield, then he can, but it might not be the best use for an attribute point.

The starting shield has no attribute requirement. It's the perfect shield for the Fighter/Scoundrel hybrid look he's after. Shouldn't he be allowed to start his adventure with the equipment he prefers at the start of the game? There is literally no good reason not to allow this.

I want to start with a sword and shield, but the knight's armor graphics (which are the same stats as the warrior's armor graphics). Why can't I just do that? You used to advise people to switch armor choices at character creation when they complained about aesthetics (back when this was possible). It's no longer possible. Why? Why remove functionality?

Dmnqwk #499388 15/06/14 02:10 AM
veteran
veteran
I'm not against being able to select starting equipment. That seems like it would be a fine addition. I was just correcting his misinterpretation that there was a difference in damage/absorption between having a shield and not.

Dmnqwk #499436 15/06/14 05:12 PM
Dmnqwk Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm glad someone tested shield versus no shield for scoundrels as to damage absorption.

As to a shield in the offhand, let's assume you have +1 strength on your gear and invest a single attribute point into strength, this could be worth 15% blocking, which is a possible 15% chance to take no damage from an attack (I saw blocked a number of times). It's a lot of damage mitigation, combined with leech, to greatly aid in survival.

But it's nice to know I don't need to reequip my shield after using a bow to ignite a barrel of oil.

Link Copied to Clipboard