Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#499430 15/06/14 02:57 PM
Dmnqwk Offline OP
OP Offline
Conditions in real time refers to status effects such as poison, bleeding, burning which occur outside the realm of turn-based combat. Either combat has just finished, or you blew up a trap.

Right now, if you get stuck in an area of burning, you're pretty much toast without a way to get yourself out of there. If you stand still, the damage ticks once a round (perhaps 6 seconds like DnD) but if you walk across it, each step applies burning, which has initial damage equal to a tick.

I would like to see the chance of reapplication for conditions like this to be altered to 20%, with 100% based on ending/starting a turn within the effect. This would allow a random element to it, without allowing it to remain overtly powerful.

old hand
old hand
To me this is for lack of a better word the Paradox of this game. It is known as a TB game, but these DOT out of combat are real-time and it feels weird. We've suggested a pause for these things, that is all we can do. Your suggestion of reduced damage to these terrains out of combat in real-time makes sense to. Our health doesn't auto-regenerate, so many times it will cost us something to get back up to full health when taking reduced terrain damage out of combat.

I will give out credit to Larian, after a fight now the team doesn't auto-form, which that was causing the after-fights to be deadlier than the battle against the baddies, as the NPC's would walk over treacherous terrain and occur real-time DOT damage and death.

I have to assume this is a sticky one for them, with no perfect answer. That said, I'm glad they went with the terrain matters idea, it's unique and for the most part is something I read from many as a highlight to the game. So hopefully no deep regrets that they ever thought of doing it, it's now a DOS staple imo.

Last edited by Horrorscope; 15/06/14 04:41 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
I tend to agree will Horrorscope, this is the 'growing pains' stage of this great concept. I have faith that it will get ironed out through the Devs, or worst case scenario..mods. suspicion

Click to reveal..
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
My preferred method of handling this would be 100% chance to cause burning on initial encounter and 100% to reset the burn ticks on each pace through burn and each pace standing still in the fire. Never re-apply the initial damage when moving through or standing still though, just the DOT.

It doesn't make any sense that you would take additional damage from running out of a fire but you would by simply standing in it until it subsides.

If you have the debuff and already took the initial shock, you shouldn't take the initial damage again until the debuff is cleared. It's madness.

E
stranger
stranger
E
Originally Posted by Horrorscope
I'm glad they went with the terrain matters idea, it's unique and for the most part is something I read from many as a highlight to the game. So hopefully no deep regrets that they ever thought of doing it, it's now a DOS staple imo.

I agree. At first it drove me crazy. Now I'm learning to deal with it. It is one thing that makes this game different from other games. Terrain matters.

Link Copied to Clipboard