Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Gyson Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
During yesterday's livestream there were a few things mentioned that (combined) concerned me a bit:

- the implication that while save games would remain compatible post-launch, it was possible that some changes would only impact new games, not ones that were started before a particular patch.

- the implication that some planned features would probably not be in for launch, but instead finished and added to the game shortly after.

I'm not super excited by the possibility of getting stuck with a "feature-lite" or forever-bugged playthrough because I started my adventure on launch day rather than months later after sufficient updates have been released. Is there any chance that, prior to the launch date, you can provide players with a list of features that are not making it into the game by launch, but planned to be added soon after (and maybe even an ETA on when those additions will roll out, as I know you guys are planning some much needed vactions)?

I think that might help players make informed decisions about whether they want to start playing on the 30th, or wait a bit for a particular missing feature.

M
stranger
stranger
M
well they keep changing the release date over and over so odds are there is no late game content. They just set random dates so they could get our money on things like preorders or early release. What a joke I want a refund. Maybe I will buy the game again in 2015 when its actually released

Gyson Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I'm pretty sure it will be launching on the 30th. Like I said, I would just like a list of which specific features will be late, and an ETA if possible.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by macman
well they keep changing the release date over and over so odds are there is no late game content. They just set random dates so they could get our money on things like preorders or early release. What a joke I want a refund. Maybe I will buy the game again in 2015 when its actually released

Maybe you should go watch the latest update?

veteran
veteran
I cannot confirm this, but I think that on the livestream, it was said that some of the companions would not be in for the release as they are still finishing them up. I think Raze also said that the AI personalities other than random also won't be in on launch.

I don't think I'm going to bother playing D:OS until they are in.

Originally Posted by macman

Would you stop spamming all the forums with this same butthurt whine?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Macman, I put down a whole heap of cash on kickstarter precisely so Larian COULD change the release date over and over. You know, releasing it when it's ready, as opposed to being rushed to market by publishers. I don't think that Larian have been mismanaging their time or funds and would be happy if it became possible for Larian to delay the game even further.

"Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that" - Leunig
addict
addict
I missed the livestream. Was it recorded anywhere?

addict
addict
replay should be available any time now

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
addict
addict
twitch still just shows the showtime from yesterday, but it can't be watched.

Gyson Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by LeBurns
I missed the livestream. Was it recorded anywhere?

http://www.twitch.tv/larianstudios/b/539683895

A lot of content outside of the early access portions. I don't recommend watching it in its entirety if you want to avoid spoilers. I mostly avoided everything outside the Q&A portions and editor discussions (just kept fast fast forwarding and not paying attention to what was happening unless Swen would switch screens to the editor or look towards another monitor to answer questions).

addict
addict
Thanks and thanks for the heads-up on spoilers.

addict
addict
At least, some views about the editor ...

Un chemin de 1000 lieues commence par un premier pas.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Stabbey
I cannot confirm this, but I think that on the livestream, it was said that some of the companions would not be in for the release as they are still finishing them up. I think Raze also said that the AI personalities other than random also won't be in on launch.

agreed. plus i have some ideas for some new skills i want to use in the main story, so i need the editor first

Last edited by 4verse; 20/06/14 06:06 AM.

"I don't make games to make money, I make money to make games". (Swen Vincke)
addict
addict
Originally Posted by 4verse

agreed. plus i have some ideas for some new skills i want to use in the main story, so i need the editor first

I think Raze said the editor will not be out til after the game release. not sure if that means day 1 release or a bit after.. either way I mainly want the editor ^_^

I missed the livestream but now am a tad nervous. just how much stuff are we talking about here that is not being added on release now?

enthusiast
enthusiast
go to twitch, you can rewatch it smile.

and maybe stabbey (or whos is it that does it often) made a transcript..I swish i could but just no time, prepping for holiday

"Dwelfusius | Were-axlotl of Original Sin"

Hardcorus RPGus PCus Extremus
addict
addict

First I saw this. Are you saying the June 30th release will be incomplete and will need on-going patches to be complete? How is anyone supposed to seriously play the game knowing things are going to change. Is it still basically Beta when it's released? Sorry, just really confused about this.

veteran
veteran

First I saw this. Are you saying the June 30th release will be incomplete and will need on-going patches to be complete? How is anyone supposed to seriously play the game knowing things are going to change. Is it still basically Beta when it's released? Sorry, just really confused about this.

Yeah that whole thing seems completely off. I remember Raze saying other auto personality types won't be in UNTIL launch but I doubt he ever said these things won't be in the game AT launch. And Larian were talking about the player created Henchmen from the KS backers not the actual companions that are relevant to the game and story.

veteran
veteran

I don't know what the state of the game will be on release. I can't confirm that it'll be incomplete, I did not watch the livestream for more than a few minutes, and even then it was only when the editor was up. So take my comments as hearsay.

I believe that Larian has no choice but to release it, for financial or logistics or contractual reasons, it is now too late to delay the game's release.

addict
addict
I don't know what the state of the game will be on release. I can't confirm that it'll be incomplete, I did not watch the livestream for more than a few minutes, and even then it was only when the editor was up. So take my comments as hearsay.

I believe that Larian has no choice but to release it, for financial or logistics or contractual reasons, it is now too late to delay the game's release.

Well from the last vid it looks like the game is already boxed up and ready to drop in the mail. So the only things they could add at 'launch' would be a First Day Patch, which isn't that uncommon these days. In fact anything they are working on now (and it looked like they are still working) obviously isn't going to get into the boxes that are ready to ship. Day One Patch.

Gyson Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

My concern is a mix of three statements that were brought up during the livestream.

- the implication that some planned features would probably not be in for launch, but instead finished and added to the game shortly after. For example, it was suggested not all companions would be available by release, and would be included in an update soon after.

- the implication that while save games would remain compatible post-launch, it was possible that some changes would only impact new games, not ones that were started before a particular patch. For instance, if an example of this happened to be the update that patches in the missing companions, that would mean people who started the game on June 30th (or any date prior to that patch) would never have those companions in their game. They would have to restart a new game to access them.

- the implication that the team would be going on a long (and much deserved vacation) after launch. During the livestream someone joked the question about the World Cup ("what would we get if Belgium won"), and Swen responded that by then it would be July 12th and he plans to be on vacation.

That's nearly two weeks after Divinity : OS is launching. Maybe he was joking, or maybe he was serious. For non-MMO games it is not at all uncommon for most development team members to go on vacation within days of a project launching and then (if you're lucky) come back and work on a patch after they return from their vacations. I have had games where the developers tweeted comments to fans during their vacation saying something akin to "had no idea there were problems, first I heard, will be back in the office in two weeks and sort it out".. so, yeah. The fact that this team is willing to update and patch the game at all is a blessing (some games just get abandoned post-launch) - the question is whether they're finishing up the missing features before they leave for their pre-planned vacations.

So, what we have here is launch that will be feature-lite with features that will be completed post-launch, with updates that in some cases will only apply to new games, not games-in-progress, and a development team that is going on a much needed vacation at some undisclosed point. Together (and without more information) it can cause some understandable concerns.

What we could really use is a list of features that are not making it into the game by launch, but planned to be added soon after, whether they will be compatible with current games or only new games, and an ETA on when those additions will roll out (since team members are going on vacation). I just want to know if I should start playing the game on the 30th or if I need to wait another month (or more) to be safe.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard