Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#499105 11/06/14 04:21 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
People who were experiencing memory issues on 32-bit operating systems should try out the latest beta update and see if they still have crashes or freezes during saving.

If you do, please let us know here or send us a mail at supportdos@larian.com

stranger
stranger
Infinite save loop in Cyseal going up the stairs from the harbor. Free memory about 800 MB (detected by Task Manager), before I quit from DOS.

Win 7 32 bit, AMD Phenom II X4 965e, ASUS M4A89GTD-PRO, 4GB DDR3, Radeon 5700

---------------------------------------------------- BladeRN
U
stranger
stranger
U
My game will eventually crash on save after a certain amount of time. It generally takes five or six saves before it CTD, with each save taking longer and longer to complete until it crashes. In the past it would often be accompanied by a directx error. I have reinstalled directx 9c and run Larian Studios Game Analysis tool which showed successful on all tests including directx. Eventually the game will take longer and longer to save, crash to desktop, then the Larian Studios Game Analysis tool will return a 'Error getting directx info!' message instead of 'Passed'. This is repeatable and %100 consistent. I am currently running patch 1.0.112.

Umbra8 #501491 26/06/14 03:22 AM
T
stranger
stranger
T
I am getting the exact same issue and the error reading when running the debugger. Any words on a fix for this because at the current state, the game is almost unplayable.

Support
Support

In another topic (Saving the game doesn't work) someone reported that re-installing their graphics drivers fixed the problem. Support suggested that, but I don't know if that is a known issue, or that particular dxdiag report, or something, indicated a problem with drivers.

Umbra8 #501843 27/06/14 11:19 AM
U
stranger
stranger
U
Originally Posted by Umbra8
My game will eventually crash on save after a certain amount of time. It generally takes five or six saves before it CTD, with each save taking longer and longer to complete until it crashes. In the past it would often be accompanied by a directx error. I have reinstalled directx 9c and run Larian Studios Game Analysis tool which showed successful on all tests including directx. Eventually the game will take longer and longer to save, crash to desktop, then the Larian Studios Game Analysis tool will return a 'Error getting directx info!' message instead of 'Passed'. This is repeatable and %100 consistent. I am currently running patch 1.0.112.

This issue continues to be a problem in version 1.0.129.0

Umbra8 #502114 27/06/14 10:22 PM
T
stranger
stranger
T
The last revision from yesterday seems to "alleviate" the issue though crashes still happen at saves just not every other save. The tester is still reporting error on Direct 9C detection which is why I am not able to send in the report.

Raze #502116 27/06/14 10:24 PM
T
stranger
stranger
T
Originally Posted by Raze

In another topic (Saving the game doesn't work) someone reported that re-installing their graphics drivers fixed the problem. Support suggested that, but I don't know if that is a known issue, or that particular dxdiag report, or something, indicated a problem with drivers.
Updating the driver does not fix this issue. I believe it has something to do with the memory. The new save system has "Freeing space for save" and "Clean up level" stages. Every time I see these, the save is good. Otherwise, the save crashes.

Tianx #502214 28/06/14 10:07 AM
T
stranger
stranger
T
I'm also getting really long save times where it's 'Freeing space for save'. A few days ago (I think before the big 2.6gb one) the saves were really quick.

I'm using a Radeon 5770, i5-750, 4gb DDR3 RAM @ 1333mhz and a 120gb SSD with 30gb free space. 32bit OS Windows 7. Granted it's pretty low end now, it was much better before the recent patches.

I'll try disabling Windows Aero and trying again.

T
stranger
stranger
T
Closed Aero and everything else, still has to 'Free up space' and 'clear game'. Granted, it's still playable, but waiting 30-45 seconds every save for an extremely cautious player like myself is painful frown

Time to buy more RAM?

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
Tianx what graphics card do you have ?,

If It is also a Radeon 5770... Then It could be related with that since I haven't seen any other graphics card posted

U
stranger
stranger
U
Originally Posted by Fedayin
Tianx what graphics card do you have ?,

If It is also a Radeon 5770... Then It could be related with that since I haven't seen any other graphics card posted

I can't speak for Tianx but I'm using a Radeon HD 7900. Perhaps the make is an issue and not the model?

Umbra8 #502385 28/06/14 09:51 PM
T
stranger
stranger
T
I am using GTX 750 so I don't think it's just Radeon that's having the issue.

T
stranger
stranger
T
Hmm I investigated why it had to keep clearing my game, so I had a look at my available RAM, it actually showed 2gb instead of my installed 4gb.

Long story short, I reinstalled the RAM and now the quick save is near instantaneous. It even changed the auto detect graphics from Medium to Ultra.

Guys, check your RAM, CPU-Z showed 4GB, but when I CTRL+ALT+DEL and looked at RAM it was stuck at 50% usage at base (available 2GB) which didn't make sense. The latest patch must've pushed the RAM threshold a tiny bit more where it had to clear memory to save.

Maybe there was a tiny tiny patch that I didn't know about that fixed it, but that's my story.

U
stranger
stranger
U
The crashes while trying to save continue in the full release. Once again it appears directx is corrupted and has to be reinstalled after the crashes. If anything, the current version CTD's more than it did during the Beta! I would hope resolving this issue remains a priority.

I really want to enjoy this game, but the fact that I'm playing without a reliable save is making it very hard to do so.

Please resolve ASAP

Link Copied to Clipboard