Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Maybe I should also add that loading a savegame very early in the game (Cyseal, both caharcters on level 2) takes around 2 minutes and 20 seconds. I don't know if this is normal, but it seems a bit long to me.

Originally Posted by KlingonAdmiral
Maybe I should also add that loading a savegame very early in the game (Cyseal, both caharcters on level 2) takes around 2 minutes and 20 seconds. I don't know if this is normal, but it seems a bit long to me.
That is long - I was going to complain about it taking 30-40 seconds. wink In my case, it spends the most time on "Instantiating" and "Waiting for Sync" which seems odd given my PC is offline with no network connection.

Saving games is quick initially, but then D:OS takes 30-40 seconds to reload them.

Run into one particular problem - if I Alt-Tab out of the game and then back in, framerates slow to a crawl (2-3/second). So no sneaking out to peek at Task Manager or Afterburner stats. wink

T
T
Originally Posted by tetsuo
It's also a good idea to enable the framecap to make it even smoother, if you cant reach 60 fps , It's best to change it to 30 in the ini:

30 FPS isn't smoother than 31-59, it just doesn't have screen tearing. Many people like me would rather have the screen tearing.

Also there are monitors with refresh rates of 75 and 144 where 30 is not an ideal number.

Last edited by Tyhan; 03/07/14 03:23 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Stargazer
Run into one particular problem - if I Alt-Tab out of the game and then back in, framerates slow to a crawl (2-3/second). So no sneaking out to peek at Task Manager or Afterburner stats. wink

Run game in Fake Fullscreen. (Yes that is a setting in game, I think it is better known as Borderless Window, those crazy Belgiums...)

Set Task Manager to Always on Top and then you can do both at the same time.

Last edited by Horrorscope; 03/07/14 03:28 PM.
Originally Posted by Horrorscope
Run game in Fake Fullscreen. (Yes that is a setting in game, I think it is better known as Borderless Window, those crazy Belgiums...)...
Gave this a try and BLEEEAARGHHH!!! Framerate went from 40-45 to just 2. Faked widescreen my backside, they should've labelled it f*cked widescreen! Took almost a minute to revert settings back to normal...

E
stranger
stranger
E
I'm also experiencing this problem. My GPU is heating up to like 80-90 degrees celsius which is really concerning, given that when I play other games under load, the max that it'll go to is 70 degrees.

Intel i7-4770 CPU @ 3.4 GHz
NVIDIA GTX 670
4 GB vram
Windows 7 64-bit

I actually get pretty decent FPS (capped to 60), but my card is way too hot.

Last edited by evaporate; 03/07/14 07:44 PM.
Gave this a try and BLEEEAARGHHH!!! Framerate went from 40-45 to just 2...
Well, I have to give credit where credit is due - the 1.0.47 update fixed that. Fake isn't quite as smooth as real fullscreen, but the performance drop is small (<5 fps) and Alt-Tabbing now seems to work OK.

Load/save times seem to have improved significantly too - about 20-25 seconds. So if anyone hasn't applied the update, I'd suggest they give it a go.

R
RtM Offline
R
Update has helped me also cheer

old hand
old hand
Gave this a try and BLEEEAARGHHH!!! Framerate went from 40-45 to just 2...
Well, I have to give credit where credit is due - the 1.0.47 update fixed that. Fake isn't quite as smooth as real fullscreen, but the performance drop is small (<5 fps) and Alt-Tabbing now seems to work OK.

Load/save times seem to have improved significantly too - about 20-25 seconds. So if anyone hasn't applied the update, I'd suggest they give it a go.

I just got back in, sounds like a new patch. Yeah mine ran fine prior with Fake WideScreen, so there must be some configs that were/are just throwing the game off and yours got addressed. Cool.

veteran
veteran
The game still has a CPU bottleneck though... frown

Disabeling texture streaming in the graphics ini also helps to make the framerate more stable and scrolling on the map more fluid.

For those playing on Win8.1: you can just easily leave the game to desktop by pressing the windows key. wink

Last edited by LordCrash; 03/07/14 08:32 PM.

WOOS
old hand
old hand
Perhaps they should put a toggle option in the video settings for Texture Streaming. There is a paragraph from them on it, it is more memory taxing doing that, but heck some of us are sitting on gobs of ram. I'm good for 8 gigs of game memory!

veteran
veteran
Perhaps they should put a toggle option in the video settings for Texture Streaming. There is a paragraph from them on it, it is more memory taxing doing that, but heck some of us are sitting on gobs of ram. I'm good for 8 gigs of game memory!

I have 8GB RAM and 2GB VRAM. Only 4GB of RAM and 0.5GM VRAM are used. Nevertheless the scrolling is more fluid when disabling texture streaming in the ini. At least that's my subjective impression... wink

Last edited by LordCrash; 03/07/14 08:51 PM.

WOOS
Originally Posted by LordCrash

Disabeling texture streaming in the graphics ini also helps to make the framerate more stable and scrolling on the map more fluid.

Where is this magical file located? smile I tried searching for it but came up with nothing.

apprentice
apprentice
I take it we're talking about these lines:

<attribute id="MapKey" value="TextureFiltering" type="22" />
<attribute id="Type" value="0" type="5" />
<attribute id="Value" value="3" type="4" />

What should we change the values to, to disable texture filtering?

I mostly come at night...mostly.
old hand
old hand
Close but this one instead...

<node id="ConfigEntry">
<attribute id="MapKey" value="TextureStreamingEnabled" type="22" />
<attribute id="Value" value="0" type="4" />
</node>

Before:
<attribute id="Value" value="1" type="4" />

After:

No guarantees.

File:
graphicSettings.lsx

\Users\user\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin

It is an xml file that is line compressed (just made that up) so it's a bit scattered. You can get an editor that will keep in in clean order. But go through and find the above and make 1 - 0.

Thank you. It does seem to help with stuttering and it took longer to load initially. Could be placebo, but I don't think so smile

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Halcyon
Thank you. It does seem to help with stuttering and it took longer to load initially. Could be placebo, but I don't think so smile

It is supposed to load more textures into memory from what I understood. Well a lot of us now have 64 bit systems with 8, 16 and 32 gigs. A lot of newer AAA cosnole games ported to PC are going to be 4-8 gigs required due to the Bone and PS4. So imo a toggle makes sense or a system check on start up. Seems like they wanted to keep the game around 1 gigs worth a memory to cover lower end systems and a possible determinant to those with more ram.

veteran
veteran
Close but this one instead...

<node id="ConfigEntry">
<attribute id="MapKey" value="TextureStreamingEnabled" type="22" />
</node>

Before:
<attribute id="Value" value="1" type="4" />

After:

No guarantees.

File:
graphicSettings.lsx

\Users\user\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin

It is an xml file that is line compressed (just made that up) so it's a bit scattered. You can get an editor that will keep in in clean order. But go through and find the above and make 1 - 0.

Yepp, I meant exactly this. smile

WOOS
Originally Posted by LordCrash
I have 8GB RAM and 2GB VRAM. Only 4GB of RAM and 0.5GM VRAM are used. Nevertheless the scrolling is more fluid when disabling texture streaming in the ini. At least that's my subjective impression... wink
EoCApp.exe is a 32-bit process so can only access 4GB on a 64-bit system (and is limited to 2-3GB on 32-bit - I see 1.6GB usage myself). If you want to throw more memory at D:OS, you might want to consider copying the Data subfolder to a ramdisk (it is constantly read as the game runs).

However given that folder is 11GB+ in size, a more practical option might be to copy just the main .pak files to a ramdisk and use Link Shell Extension to hardlink them back to their original locations.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard