Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
SuZaKu Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I'm no professional level designer, I am more of a programming guy, but I'm hooked on creating environments in Divinity Engine. I'll leave scripting for when Larian releases some tutorials about their tools.

Anyway, here are some screenshots from what I was working on today - a valley with (totally unfinished) forest and a branched off road to "oasis" corner.

Overall look, the coast:
[Linked Image]

The valley:
[Linked Image]

The entrance to "oasis":
[Linked Image]

The oasis:
[Linked Image]

Close-up on the waterfall and ornate chest:
[Linked Image]

Bonus: view from the bottom. Why would the texture be visible from both sides...?
[Linked Image]

Anyway, I'm done for now with this level. I like to mess around for a while then start something new. I'm not doing anything serious until the editor is improved a little (random errors, some quality of life improvements on UI), but might come back to this as I want to make a cool looking spooky forest.

Making a forest or generally area full of flora takes time, so I've learned. So many trees, leaves, bushes, rocks to place around to actually make it feel like a forest, not someone's back garden:)

Last edited by SuZaKu; 06/07/14 09:49 PM.
SuZaKu Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by SuZaKu
For some reason the images aren't clickable to open a full res version? All i did was add them through the "enter image" icon.

EDIT: fixed it.

Last edited by SuZaKu; 06/07/14 10:08 PM.
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
That looks awesome, so many different painted textures XD. think i see every coastal stone texture in there! But it looks great, its very pretty the springs you made is very well done - have you used the editor much?

apprentice
apprentice
Pretty, hope to see this in a mod smile

SuZaKu Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice

I've bought Divinity at release and used the editor everyday, so about 6-7 days of messing around. Took a while to learn the UI and all the options. But I still haven't touched scripting side of things. If we can make some custom scripts to do unique stuff in the game (e.g. raise water texture/material in real-time to simulate flooding) that would be awesome.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
You any idea how to change hotkeys? like changing 1-4 to select the terrain shaping tools from Raise-Smooth. There are hotkeys for the selection tools and i have seen videos of Larian quick selecting terrain tools with hotkeys. But you can't change it in preferences.

SuZaKu Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Shidiwen
You any idea how to change hotkeys? like changing 1-4 to select the terrain shaping tools from Raise-Smooth. There are hotkeys for the selection tools and i have seen videos of Larian quick selecting terrain tools with hotkeys. But you can't change it in preferences.

They haven't added other hotkeys under preferences, so I guess you'd have to wait until they update the editor with that, or maybe there's some settings file in the editor folder where you could change it.

Last edited by SuZaKu; 06/07/14 09:56 PM.
old hand
old hand
Fun, isn't it? smile Looks interesting, nicely done.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
veteran
veteran
I like it, good job! smile

WOOS
veteran
veteran
I am very impressed. I also wonder how much will we be able to create custom tiles laugh

SuZaKu Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
UPDATE:
I was messing around some more today and made couple of new areas. I'm just basically going on a whim, adding whatever pops up in my head.

Start of the "forest". It's a lot more improved than last iteration

[Linked Image]

New area by turning left from the forest. Cut-down trees, roots, abandoned house

[Linked Image]

Close-up of the house. A tree is sticking out its roof.

[Linked Image]

another waterfall, this time forming a river that keeps going down onwards

[Linked Image]

I couldn't find any good stone bridge prefabs, so I made my own.

[Linked Image]

That's it for now.

By the way, most of the textures have been swapped around when I run this mod in game, like the stone road is now made up of tree leaves...
It still looks as it should in editor. Any idea what's up? think

Last edited by SuZaKu; 08/07/14 04:38 PM.
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
those look great!

Very nice Suzaku!

I'm also playing with the editor since yesterday, and having fun with it. Hope they do put more videos up soon smile

T
stranger
stranger
T
Looks really really good. Cluttering and making sure things look nice before i move on is one of the things i do aswell. When you paint the textures(grass, the dirt road and stuff) Do you just preview some before doing it, or do you have an idea on how itï½´s gonna look before?

Things like placing patches of grass and every small object to make the forest could take a long time.

Last edited by tykke; 09/07/14 07:33 AM.
SuZaKu Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by tykke
When you paint the textures(grass, the dirt road and stuff) Do you just preview some before doing it, or do you have an idea on how itï½´s gonna look before?

Things like placing patches of grass and every small object to make the forest could take a long time.

Yeah I just paint them first on some empty part of the map and check out what cool combinations can there be with clamp tool etc.

It gets really confusing after you start using 10 or more textures, sometimes I have to test-paint them because I forget which one is which one. It'd be nice if the textures could be renamed in the instance painter window. AND it'd be nice if they didn't get messed up when running the mod from the game...

About placing patches of grass and small objects - yeah, this sort of finishing touch takes huge amount of time. I'm still not happy with the forest, need to add grass here and there, as well as some bigger bushes to make it look more natural.

Last edited by SuZaKu; 09/07/14 08:55 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Something you can do to make forest look more foresty is put those wide flat bushes far high in the sky above ground and camera so they cast moving leaf shadows on the ground, and fake a dense leafy forest even when there is no tree doing the actual shadow casting, as you can control the sun to perfection you can create a really tight connection between forest and shadows, giving player the illusing he is really in a forest, and not just walking through a path with forests at the side wink

Sounds odd at first, but creates really nice (and moving with the wind) shadow effect to split up wide open grass areas visually. And make them look less .. well, painted. Larian used this in a lot of places in Cyseal.

Anyhow.. just a silly little trick I figure may help make even more pretty terrain ;p Editor is really powerful when it comes to this, the amount of density of details you can produce when it comes to nature scenes is very nice, and creates very nice atmosphere

SuZaKu Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
That's a brilliant idea eRe4s3r! I'll give it a try later, thanks.

By the way, none of my grass or trees move - do I have to add actual wind mechanic or something?

Last edited by SuZaKu; 09/07/14 09:11 AM.
stranger
stranger
You can control wind in the Atmosphere control, under Varia. Can adjust the intensity from light breeze to sharknado, as well as the direction. Another thing you can add is an environment effect, like falling leaves or other miscellaneous flying things, in the tab right under the wind option.

SuZaKu Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Haha, shame on me, I didn't notice that and I've already been making atmosphere triggers and all that o.o

D
dot Offline
journeyman
journeyman
D
I like it, looks good! The idea about setting up some leaves out of sight to create moving shadows is brilliant!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard