Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Halcyon Offline OP
OP Offline
So apparently Larian has been offered a buyout.
Original Dutch News Source
Translated News

I cannot blame them for accepting, if they do. But IF they do, we will have to wait for another good independent company like Larian to rise, because surely a bought-out Larian will either be shut down in due time or corrupted and forced to obey corporate policies that hardcore RPG gamers generally hate.

It's scary thinking about what might happen, because success has been the downfall of other great companies. History is littered with software companies that have been bought out only to be destroyed. Competition is a bitch and some bitches out there have a lot of money.

Enough to buy Larian? I hope not. They're finally getting the mainstream traction they so deserve, and now some other company is lying in wait trying to poach them, so we can get another EA Bioware shit fiasco. Sorry, but I have never seen anything good come from buyouts. Anyone care to provide positive examples?

B
apprentice
apprentice
B
Originally Posted by Halcyon
Translated News

I did not read anything in that article about a buyout offer. Think you might have misread the translation.

Halcyon Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by blinkicide
Translated News

I did not read anything in that article about a buyout offer. Think you might have misread the translation.

Guess you did not read it very well smile

the Ghent studio that worked on the game for two years has choice stress. "They have been here to buy us."
`

The two last Divinity episodes were very successful in their genre, but with the sudden success Original Sin pulled the company also interested in the broader video game industry. "They've been here to buy us," said Vincke, not specifying who "they" are. "We have a choice of stress right now. But we do not know what to do. First vacation, then we will think about our what our next step."

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
Google translate is horrendous

Anyone Dutch?

veteran
veteran
What's up with that sensationalist headline? It's quite normal that big publishers approach a game developer after they proved themselves and obviously made a great game which sells well. It would be pretty weird if not. That's just business as usual and that doesn't mean that Larian actually sell out anytime in the future. If you really think so you obviously don't know Swen Vincke and the whole history of Larian as a development studio. I can only recommend reading his blog and the developer's journal which was part of the Divinity Anthology.... wink

WOOS
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Jackal2200
Google translate is horrendous

Anyone Dutch?

It's actually a pretty good translation. And LordCrash is right, that they're getting attention is quite normal, in fact, this is a good thing.

Halcyon Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks captains Obvious. I regularly read lar.net and find it enlightening. Even so, Larian has been close to shutting down several times, and this pot of gold might be mighty tempting. Especially since Swen is not immediately shutting down the possibility, but keeping the door open.

Last edited by Halcyon; 16/07/14 05:43 PM.
B
apprentice
apprentice
B

the Ghent studio that worked on the game for two years has choice stress. "They have been here to buy us."
`

Larian is the "Ghent studio" who is "having choice stress" after two years getting this game ready for launch. It's not the name of a studio trying to buy them out.

Also the term "they have been here to buy us" is used right after talking about the game's delay. It could very well be referring to the fans waiting to buy the game.

Halcyon Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by blinkicide

`

Larian is the "Ghent studio" who is "having choice stress" after two years getting this game ready for launch. It's not the name of a studio trying to buy them out.

Also the term "they have been here to buy us" is used right after talking about the game's delay. It could very well be referring to the fans waiting to buy the game.

Obviously they are the Ghent studio!

And no, it could not refer to fans waiting to buy the game. Read it in Dutch, if you know it and don't trust google translate. Some of us are bi and tri-lingual. smile Seriously, your take on the interpretation is preposterous.

Last edited by Halcyon; 16/07/14 05:50 PM.
K
K
I don't know what to think.
A corporate buyout is universally bad and NEVER has it given good results. I remember reading about CDPR's fight to hold onto their IPs and remain independent and how it's payed off for them. I love and respect Larian, they've made some of the most memorable and charming games I've played. If a larger company buys them (read - kills them) I would be sad.

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
It's always the case with success, when you have money everyone wants a piece of it. With the awareness of Larian now with this release sitting as a Steam top-seller hopefully they'll stay indie. In fact, Original Sin made me buy Dragon Commander.

veteran
veteran
Thanks captains Obvious. I regularly read lar.net and find it enlightening. Even so, Larian has been close to shutting down several times, and this pot of gold might be mighty tempting. Especially since Swen is not immediately shutting down the possibility, but keeping the door open.

How could the shut down the possiblity? Hanging a big sign "no publishers allowed" sign at the front door? hahaha

Have you read the developer's journal of the Anthology as well?

Swen was/is so happy about being able to finally cut lose from pubs and he even called the development of D:OS the "most rewarding period of his life" so it's imo barely imaginable that he should sell out just soon after. That makes no sense at all. Money isn't everything in life and Larian obviously make games out of passion and not games for the biggest possible audience...

Last edited by LordCrash; 16/07/14 06:03 PM.

WOOS
A
stranger
stranger
A
I'm looking forward to someone at Larian getting greedy and selling the studio to EA so we can get quality games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect from Larian as well.

Stock Trader #1: This is a stock exchange! There's no money you can steal!
Bane: Really? Then why are you people here?
-The Dark Knight Rises
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
I'd be a bit disappointed/wary if they accepted merely at the risk of more mainstream future titles which undo the success they worked to build (see Blizzard if looking at it in an artistic sense), but would not blame them at because money is, no matter what idealistic people say, is pretty damn awesome and there's a certain kind of justice of a studio like Larian being smacked around by publishers and then finally making it big and with $$$$ after pulling the shoestrings needed to their own way.

Well, imo it doesn't fit that Swen is so happy to finaly cut lose from pubs and that he called the development of D:OS the "most rewarding period of his life" and that he should sell out just soon after. That makes no sense at all.

Sure it does. Larian is still engaging in business first and foremost. They are doing what they love--making these good games, but everyone loves money, too, and money does buy happiness.

Last edited by MindlessAutomata; 16/07/14 06:07 PM.
K
K
Originally Posted by ArtVandelay
I'm looking forward to someone at Larian getting greedy and selling the studio to EA so we can get quality games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect from Larian as well.

[Linked Image]

apprentice
apprentice
I'm not surprised it caught someones attention. I'm still surprised how well D:OS is selling. I guess I never knew how many people missed the old CRPGs.

That said, I think a lot of people would agree that EA about ruined Bioware among other studios. Playing with bigger companies is a scary thought for most gamers. But it is a common occurance in business practice.

Larian has gone an amazingly long time solo all these years. And I'm sure either way they'll make the right decision for them and their vision of the future.

Hmm...doubtless Swen could be tempted with enough Belgian beer and chocolate - the question then is whether Belgium's brewers and chocolatiers could produce enough to meet his likely asking price. smile

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by MindlessAutomata

Well, imo it doesn't fit that Swen is so happy to finaly cut lose from pubs and that he called the development of D:OS the "most rewarding period of his life" and that he should sell out just soon after. That makes no sense at all.

Sure it does. Larian is still engaging in business first and foremost. They are doing what they love--making these good games, but everyone loves money, too, and money does buy happiness.

Nobody said that you don't need money. But if they can make games without the money from pubs they will do so. With kickstarter and Early Access (and own money) there is imo just no reason for Larian to sell out to publishers.

And no, money can't buy happiness. That's one of the biggest fallacies of humanity but sadly most people only realize that when it's already too late...

WOOS
addict
addict
Money does buy gratification though. I'd be pretty gratified right now if I had a Starbucks Frap.

Well ... I'll just hope that it wasn't EA knocking on their door and assume everything will work out.

K
stranger
stranger
K
Originally Posted by ArtVandelay

I have to login and unlurk specifically to say big flat NO to this.
It'll be a nightmare. sad

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard