eRe4s3r Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hi wink

First I show what I did so far

1) Created own resource in my own mod, created following

[Linked Image]

Notice, Texture, Model and Material all there.

The Material is this

[Linked Image]

A swirling green ANIMATED material, it consists of 4 slightly different moving layers that are mulitplied together, essentially, it's a green storm cloud texture for an object. It is an test, but it does look pretty nifty.. anyway

Next I assigned the MATERIALResource to the VISUALResource (Model)

[Linked Image]

The model in question is this

[Linked Image]

Now... I have a huge problem

This is all fine and well, but as you know, only TEMPLATES can be placed. And I have a hit a huge wall in doing this... what is that wall? This is that wall.

[Linked Image]

Anyone know how to actually save a template? What to call it? And how to fix this problem?

It either says

"Invalid Filename"
or
"Invalid FileExtension" (all with *.lsb)

Help!

Ps.: In case you wonder what I am doing here, I want to create my own graphics, since I am (wanting) to do a sci-fi/fantasy mixture mod. You won't be running around with guns, but you will walk around sci-fi stuff. I need to be able to import models for this, no way around it.

PPs.: THe error is the same, whether I assign a visual resource or not. In the screenshot I switched out and in again to re-try and hence no visual resource is in the field, but believe me, I tried any combination I can think of wink It always says "invalid file-name" or even more absurdly, invalid extension.

R
addict
addict
R
What is the full text in the FileName field there?

eRe4s3r Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
D:/01 - Spiele/SteamGames/SteamApps/common/Divinity - Original Sin/Data/Public/MageFire_63725dce-da32-4474-89e7-722b6f02febc/Root/Templates/MageFire.lsb

(or test.lsb) .. folder exists. The file doesn't, but i created it (empty) and it still doesn't work. As usual I am baffled

Last edited by eRe4s3r; 01/08/14 06:23 PM.
R
addict
addict
R
Try removing the / between Root and Templates. It should probably be
D:/01 - Spiele/SteamGames/SteamApps/common/Divinity - Original Sin/Data/Public/MageFire_63725dce-da32-4474-89e7-722b6f02febc/RootTemplates/MageFire.lsb

Edit:
Yep, that's most likely your problem. I recreated your issue by making my own Root/Templates folder and trying to save there.

Last edited by Rhidian; 01/08/14 06:30 PM.
eRe4s3r Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Wee wink

Animated (with the material) Mod Logo for MAIN camera
[Linked Image]

Just need to uv map those letters hehe.

Test sucessful. No idea why it defaulted to Root/Templates though

This leaves only one problem. There is no way to generate physics for an item. So we can't do pickable items.. nor can we do floors.

N
addict
addict
N
Originally Posted by eRe4s3r

This leaves only one problem. There is no way to generate physics for an item. So we can't do pickable items.. nor can we do floors.

I'll make a surprise package for you then smile

eRe4s3r Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Surprises would be very nice but not just for me wink

Just further tested it

FBX version 7.3 is what I used (3dsmax 2013) but I actually exported from CINEMA 4D R15 because that's what I use and there I can select what FBX version I want (unlike in 3dsmax..)

Baked UV is exported and works right

[Linked Image]

Now I am only wondering how to make this glow... I thought emissive would do it, but I guess whatever I am doing with the shader is not the right thing to make things glow.

This is of course just an early test wink

How do I record animations in the editor? Just want to show what it looks like in a short gif

Edit: Ah, turns out it only glows is easier than I thought, just pap triangle wave form with 2 -1 and smooth on a MAX filter to emmissive, and you get flame-like behavior. Very neat!

[Linked Image]

And here the material shader in case someone wants to do the same

[Linked Image]

wink This makes me very happy, Neon like animation stuff is very important for sci-fi environments

N
addict
addict
N
I've added physics asset generation to the latest LSTools; it takes an .obj file as an input and generates a .bullet resource that you can import to the editor

eRe4s3r Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
You should really make a proper topic for your lstools wink

Anyway, for those who are confused -> DL Links to Norbyte LSTools wink (Always latest version)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32263228/lstools.zip

Can you give a short guide for the various shape commands and what exactly I have to do with my mesh for any of this to work? I assume basic mesh/triangles and depending on it's shape characteristics I choose either convex or concave? Or in case of a simple box or spherical collision I choose the relevant thing and make the mesh a box or sphere that fits my mesh somewhat? Can't promise I will really test that until later ,) Currently I have yet-another-issue...

######################

Ok.. so my next problem are the normal maps. I opened one from larian and nearly got a heart-attack. That's not how normal maps are generated by any application I ever saw. Their normal maps calculate light/channel order from
*alpha* (Red)
*top* (Green)
*above* (Blue)
*right* (Alpha1)

This is very very bad ;p And anyway, actual mesh based normal calculation goes like this
*bottom* (Red)
*right* (Green)
*top* (Blue)
*alpha* (Alpha)

The reason I say this is because.. it's a major pain in the back-side to have to rejuggle channels on each normal map... does anyone know how to do this easy and quickly? Maybe in the shader editor itself?

What the problem is you may wonder.. well re-arranging color channels is not especially easy in photoshop... and I wonder whether someone has an idea how to do this easily and quickly... no way I know is easy

journeyman
journeyman
this is really great stuff, and thanks for sharing your findings m8! Want to decipher how to make a proper terrain settings with the material editor? I'll look into that aswell but you have far more knowledge about all the options wink

eRe4s3r Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I certainly don't have any more insight than you wink I am working with Norbyte to get collisions working (well he's working, I am testing ,p) but besides that, currently all material work is on hold because I can't figure Larian's normal maps out. I am probably just stupid, but I can't generate normal maps that are like Larians. So none of my custom materials have working normal maps.

Larian needs to give us whatever they used to create these weird channel orders. Surely they didn't create them manually! (I hope!)

journeyman
journeyman
ah oke m8 :), I did manage to make a custom lsm terrain and working, but then when I load up the game the entire terrain painted area was mangled up but showing up just fine in the editor, pretty weird. Now I just use the default lsm/lsb file larian uses for all terrain, but i cant figure out how to make one myself so it doesnt show leaves which is added to the file

edit: the mangled up part only happened when I erased stuff and repainted

Last edited by FromHolland; 02/08/14 07:33 PM.
eRe4s3r Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Sorry I need to bump this again wink

Does anyone know how to produce normal maps like the one Larian used? I have both Photoshop Nvidia DDS plugin (and thus normal map tools) and Pixplant 2, and BOTH generate normal maps the way I am used to. But Larian's normal maps are not just flipped they are in an hugely annoying channel order.

Basically, is there a way to generate normal maps with these channel orders from the get-go? Otherwise I am stumped. (And honestly, I have no idea how Larian did those textures, is that a Photoshop ability I am not aware of? You can't just re-arrange channels in photoshop without HUGE messing about.

journeyman
journeyman
bump this interesting topic

I seem to be stuck with exporting to fbx. I can't get it to work and maybe you can help? What steps do you do when exporting to fbx exactly?

journeyman
journeyman
nvm did something wrong... got it working now smile

edit!:

works fine with uv maps etc (NOTE: I didnt create this model! its a free model from the web)

[Linked Image]

Last edited by FromHolland; 14/08/14 10:48 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard