Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
K
Hello, i have created a simple level, where according to the tutorial a wolf appears and the battle starts.

While everything is working smoothly, the battle does not start.
The wolf has Evil NPC as alignment, but my player has none. I also get an error message about that. Can you help me?

UPDATE: So here is another question. The divinity engine seems to be bugging with the camera movement. WASD doesnt work, mouse doesnt work, up/down arrows dont work for movement but for zoom only.

Now, left/right keys work properly but it is very annoying to move the camera around left and right only. Anyone has any idea??

I managed to fix it at some point, and it came up again. I do not know what caused it, or how i fixed in the first time.

I have tried deleting my mods and config, in order to start from the start, but no chances.

Finally, when i press the smiley face to test something, everything works perfectly. When i exit the testing, i get the problem again

Another thing, how am i supposed to edit a wall, when i dont find the tool on the bar??

Last edited by Kolopaper; 24/08/14 05:25 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Sounds like you don't have the alignments.lsx added to your mod. The editor is still very much work in progress and we're having to use a few fan-made tools to get things working like we want. This is one of those cases, sadly.

First, download 'LSTools', http://www.divinityengine.net/index.php?title=List_of_utilities

Before we start, make a new folder somewhere convenient, desktop for now would be ideal, call it anything you like, 'Unpacked files' or whatever. Now, install LSTools somewhere convenient, open it, go to Tools->Unpack. You'll be asked to first select a .pak file to uncompress. You'll find the ones you want in \Steam\SteamApps\common\Divinity - Original Sin\Data (or the appropriate main install location if you got the game from GOG or Vault). There'll be several .paks in there, I'm not actually 100% certain which contains the specific file we're looking for, so possibly we'll open a few, maybe not. You want to select Main.pak, after which you'll be asked where to unpack it to. That's the new folder we made earlier. Press OK and you'll get a bunch of game folders and files. (You can do the same for engine.pak and game.pak but I don't think it's required. Again, I can't remember which contains the file we're after, but I *think* it's in main.pak.) Don't bother unpacking numbered .paks by the way, main_1.pak for example. Not necessary.

Next step is to find the alignments file and put it in the appropriate place in your mod. Go to your new folder and find \YOURNEWFOLDER\Mods\Main\Story. In here will be a folder called 'Alignments', inside of which is Alignment.lsx. This is the file you want! But it's gotta be in the right folder, so in your mod, create any intermediary folders that you're missing and then copy/paste the .lsx into your properly nested Alignments folder. The folderpathpath you create for the file will be something like \Divinity - Original Sin\Data\Mods\YOURMODNAME\Story\Alignments. Inside here will be the .lsx file.

You're now set up to use combat in your mod. All you need to do is apply the correct AI types in the relevant sidebar section.

I think they're something like

HeroPlayer1
Companion1
Good NPC
Neutral NPC
Evil NPC
Animal

but don't quote me on that.

If you have Notepad++, feel free to open up that Alignments.lsx and take a look.

Hope I didn't get any of this wrong!

Last edited by Noaloha; 24/08/14 02:58 PM.

Escape From Smalcatraz: Steam/Nexus. Forum thread.
K
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
K
Thank you a lot, worked like a charm. Now my question is, do i have to copy/paste everything from main.pak, game.pak etc etc? If i want to make use of everything in the game?

enthusiast
enthusiast
I don't know exactly what the situation is, but the short answer is "no". Assuming you used Main as a data pack when you created your new module, the mod will default to settings used in the main campaign (reading from the .paks, as D:OS itself does). More folders in \Data\Mods\ will appear automatically as you start adding your own dialogs, scripts, book-texts, etc.

You will start adding folders from the Unpacked stuff as you customise things, examples... character.txt for giving unique stats, skillset.txt for customising what skills a character has in their hotbar, lots of other, more adventurous (intelligent) stuff) and that will involve you opening the unpacked .txt file and using it as a template to add your edits to, then dropping it into the correct place in the Data\Public\ section. I'm a little pushed for time right now, so you'll have to read around a little bit to figure that out, or maybe a kind soul will come into this thread and bullet point the basics for you. smile

EDIT: one last thing, you can now go into those unpacked files and explore (most of) them at your leisure. I think everyone here at some point has gone into the \Mods\Main\Story\RawFiles\Goals of their unpacked files to sift through the devs' coding in a bid to figure out how to make something work, ha.

Last edited by Noaloha; 24/08/14 03:35 PM.

K
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
K
I see thank you for your time and cooperation!!

N
addict
addict
N
It'd be useful if the engine supported some way to avoid copying files into separate mods.
(Unreal packages have a useful concept for this called "object redirector", that is basically a link that points to a different object or file; we could use something like that to link Alignments.txt/etc. instead of copying it)

K
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
K
Let's hope something similar will be added soon.

One more question if anyone knows. Sometimes i cannot move the camera using WASD. Up/down arrow keys work as zoom in/out and only the right/left keys work for panning the camera. Even the mouse doesn't work.

It got fixed somehow at one point, but it has come up again. It's very frustrating

old hand
old hand
Im not sure if its the same thing but i get that in the game a lot. If i make a character take atleast one step by clicking onto the ground somewhere, the wasd camera movement works again.

funny thing is that Age of Decadence does that too sometimes...

Very useful explanations again Noaloha, thank you.

K
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
K
I don't think its the same! To make myself clear, that problem happens on the Divinity Engine. So its annoying to move the camera around while i want to add things, not in game!

But when i press the smiley face for testing, every movement works perfectly laugh

old hand
old hand
On your WASD question that's just how the editors default camera works. Not a bug or error. Personally I can't fathom how Larian spent thousand of man hours doing it that way. It's so inefficient.

You can use the game camera by pressing Cntl+G in the editor. However it doesn't zoom out enough for my liking to be useful while using the editor for the most part.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Just to clarify, only because I don't think you mentioned it: are you using the middle mouse button to rotate the camera around?

For walls, watch this video (it'll show you how to go back and edit placed walls -- it's a little fiddly until you get used to it).

I also recommend when you've got a spare hour to work through roguelike's tutorial. I found it extremely helpful when I was getting started and found myself running into simple problem after simple problem. It covers a little bit of everything and (for me anyway) does a good job of making the Editor feel a little less intimidating. Link. (EDIT: The AI bug that roguelike runs into is now fixed, so treat those bits accordingly.)

Last edited by Noaloha; 25/08/14 12:17 PM.

K
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
K
Yeah i was using the middle mouse for rotation. It seems i have to get used to it!

And thank you for the link, seems like a long and usefull video. I will check it out

I have an issue with the combat tutorial's ambush script as well, except that my orc enemy is already standing on the map, waiting, causing the battle to start before I even reach the trigger.

I've added the alignment scripts from the main file, the orcs alignment is already set to Evil NPC, the orc is global, the triggers are global, and they all have original names. Is there something else I forgot to do that's not in the video? Surely this script works for orcs as well as wolves?

I'm also wondering if it's possible to decrease the orc NPCs perception so the combat doesn't trigger so soon (sometimes I can't even see the orcs on my screen).

old hand
old hand
In the INIT section you probably need to set the enemies offstage.

CharacterSetOnStage(CHARACTER Character, INT Bool) is the call. Make sure your particular foes are global and that you generated definitions.

In my StoryEditor I entered the following scripts with no luck:

[INIT]
CharacterSetOnStage(CHARACTER_OrcAmbusher,0);
TriggerRegisterForPlayers(TRIGGER_OrcCombatDocks1);

[KB]
IF
CharacterEnteredTrigger(_,TRIGGER_OrcCombatDocks1)
THEN
CharacterAppearAtTrigger(CHARACTER_OrcAmbusher,TRIGGER_OrcCombatDocks1_EnemyPoint,1);
TriggerUnregisterForPlayers(TRIGGER_OrcCombatDocks1);

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by JecklynHyde
In my StoryEditor I entered the following scripts with no luck:

[INIT]
CharacterSetOnStage(CHARACTER_OrcAmbusher,0);
TriggerRegisterForPlayers(TRIGGER_OrcCombatDocks1);

[KB]
IF
CharacterEnteredTrigger(_,TRIGGER_OrcCombatDocks1)
THEN
CharacterAppearAtTrigger(CHARACTER_OrcAmbusher,TRIGGER_OrcCombatDocks1_EnemyPoint,1);
TriggerUnregisterForPlayers(TRIGGER_OrcCombatDocks1);

Have you set the "OrcAmbusher" to global? Have you copy the "Alignments" Folder from the Main Campaign to your Mods/Story Folder?

Yeah, the OrcAmbusher is Global.

Then I have 4 folders and some loose goals and story files in my Story folder. See below:
Divinity - Original Sin > Data > Mods > MyGame > Story > AiPersonalities, Alignments, Keywords, Rawfiles.

I noticed that my NPCs usually become invisible in the game world after I set them to Global on the SideBar. This happened with the Orc so I remade him. Could this have anything to do with the issue? Are Global NPCs supposed to be visible or not? My global sailor character doesn't appear either, even though I gave him the code [INIT] CharacterSetOnStage(CHARACTER_Boatswain,1);

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
You changed OrcAmbusher's character tag in the CHARACTER tool, correct? Your script looks right, but if you set the display name to OrcAmbusher and not the actual Character tag / name, it won't work.

Link Copied to Clipboard