Next Thread
Print Thread
E
Errebor Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
Hi everybody. I was wondering if somebody had same issue.
Lets say, you create Module"A" and level "X" inside this module. After a while and with your level partially filled with objects and triggers you decide to change its name to something more appropriate. This way we come to a situation, when in Module"A" we have level "Y" instead of "X". After opening old level but now with new name, everything is in place besides global objects. The funny part is that they are still there. In Story Editor everything is in order. There are lines with definitions of items that are not visible or aviable thrugh items manager, but they are there. Reload/Generate Difinitions and Build does not generate any error. One important thing. If I check any non global object in sidebar, then under LevelName everything is unchanged. Which is wrong. I've also opened lsb files from MyModule/Globals/LevelName in LS Tools. It was possible to corect the name but this didn't bring any changes inside the editor.

Last edited by Errebor; 10/09/14 09:45 PM.
N
addict
addict
N
How did you change the level name? Did you just rename the containing folder?

old hand
old hand
I've tried renaming the folder of the level, and ran into the issue of all the teleporters breaking (all the buildings are instanced). Didn't investigate further, because that was issue enough, but probably the same problem. What's the real way to rename a level? Haven't figured that out (but haven't looked THAT hard to be honest.)

M
M
I've had problem, where I named a level with a dot/period (.) in the name, as in "start town v.2". And then when I tried to open up the level again nothing happened, it would not open the level even though you could see it in the folder. Then I manually changed the name in the file, editing out the dot, and then it would open the level again, albeit it got bugged.
So what I deduce is "don't use dots in the name of a level".

E
Errebor Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
It was exactly the same problem. I had renamed the containing folder. Norbyte, there is one more thing and this goes to everybody, who has planned to make more than one level module. Let's say we put two identical items from Root Template inside two different levels, simply by dragging and droping them on terrain. Save everything and then open one of those two levels you have created and delete one item. After that save and go to your other level. You won't find the second item. If level contains more items they will be also deleted. This way by managing objects in one level you might accidentally clear other levels. This means you completely clear other levels that share the same object. The only way to prevent that catastrophe is by adjusting name of every single object and this way binding them with corresponding level. Maby tweaking LS Tools could help with problem described at the beginning.

Last edited by Errebor; 11/09/14 10:06 AM.
E
Errebor Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
Ok, problem solved. LS Tools is working just fine. In order to correctly change your levels name (and avoid issues described above) you must open lsb files located in Globals folder using LS Tools. Next serch for line LevelName and correct it. The same goes with MapKey. You must modify one of the numbers located on the right (Value column). Save everything correctly, open your level and voilà mon ami. Inside the editor LevelName is displayed as GUID Identificator.

Edit
Did not work. This got fubar. LS Tools did not help. Time to put my super secret ambitious multi level project on the shelf.

Last edited by Errebor; 11/09/14 09:15 PM.
N
addict
addict
N
Sorry I was busy, only got around to reply now frown

Did you change the level name for all objects in the level too?

Stuff in Mods\%yourMod\Levels\%yourLevel%\Characters, Items, Terrain, Triggers, WallConstructions may have level names embedded in them.

Easiest way to replace that I know of:
  • Open file in LSTools
  • File -> Save as LSX ... -> save somewhere
  • Open LSX file with notepad++ -> Replace "%oldLevelName%" to "%newLevelName%" -> Save
  • LSTools: Open the replaced LSX -> File -> Save as LSB ... -> overwrite original .lsb file in the map folder
  • Repeat for all map .lsb files

E
Errebor Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
Thank you for your reply Norbyte!
Indeed it worked. Frankly I came up with similar solution(simpler but with some drawbacks BUT since you explained it here so there is just no better way right now. Thanks again.

Link Copied to Clipboard