Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
I have made a mod with a good amount of terrain, and suddenly, all terrain objects in my modules can no longer be edited. If I make a new terrain within the same module I can edit it. This all seems very strange considering I haven't been in the two other levels, being a copy of the main menu and character creation screen. I assume I have hit a button that disables editing of these objects somehow. Anybody who know a solution?

Edit: When I try to remove the terrain objects that says this object is locked by source control, so it definitely seems like an intentional feature from Larian's side, though I still have no idea as of how to remove it.

Last edited by Anders K-R; 29/09/14 06:01 PM.
K
stranger
stranger
K
Welcome to the club!

I have a thread going to collate all relevant information regarding the terrain locking problem.

To answer your question: No, nobody has a real solution yet.

Here's what we know so far:

At an unspecified point, the editor decides that your terrain needs optimizing. This seems to be the same event that locks it.

Keeping backups means minimal lost work, and easier narrowing down of the exact point where the editor chooses to "optimize". Do a quick archive-backup (using something like winrar) on your map before editing, so you won't lose more than the most recent work.

Norbyte (the ever-present entity on the IRC) has been working on a terrain de-optimizer. Don't hold your breath though, he/she is busy, and making shiny toys for us isn't his/her responsibility.

If you have any other information you can add to the thread, post it here:

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=551365#Post551365

A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Ok, I think I have found some very relevant information through my research. The same exact thing happens when level is extracted to another module. I tried several times copying a basic level from a module to another module and it always ended in "Source Control". I then found through digging with the lstools that every object in a module has a map key. This seems like something set in to prevent copying other peoples work. What I then think happens when the auto optimization occurs is that it makes a new terrain with the newly optimized version of the terrain and replaces the original, but it doesn't have the proper mapkey. To avoid this optimisation bug, one could perhaps have all the map keys of their different terrain objects in a seperate text file and then replace the keys in the terrain files when the optimisation occurs? Could be worth a try.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I am having the same issue. I have spent hours trying to figure it out and over a month researching it and I can't find anything. It is strange that this problem hasn't been resolved due to the fact it is a complete roadblock to using the terrain editing feature. If I come up with anything I will post it here.

A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Originally Posted by Sinith
I am having the same issue. I have spent hours trying to figure it out and over a month researching it and I can't find anything. It is strange that this problem hasn't been resolved due to the fact it is a complete roadblock to using the terrain editing feature. If I come up with anything I will post it here.

My solution is to backup after every hour of work, and then keep at least 5 or so backups at any given time.

Link Copied to Clipboard