Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Did anyone try modding and restricting talents?

Here's what I wanna do.

Step1
Change the name of "Talents" to "Traits",

Step2
You have a talent called Demon. I want to change it to:

-----------
Infernal Grandchild:

It seems that a long time ago, one of your ancestors was born from a union of a mortal man or woman and a fire demon.

Threw experience you have now learned how to tap in to your infernal power. Each time you are struck in melee combat there is a chance to burn your opponent with a hellish flame. You also receive a 10% damage bonus to all fire spells.
-----------

Let's say I also want to change Ice King to Frostborn.

-----------
Frostborn:

The spirit of water and ice has merged with your soul long ago, yet you can not remember how or when. It is a mystery and it does not matter.

What matters how ever is that you can now tap in to very essence of frost which increases the effectiveness of all your water spells by 15%.
-----------

And Zombie to Doomtouched.

-----------
Doomtouched:

You have been embraced by those who are undead, doomed and dead. Their blessing and curse became a part of your flesh and soul.

All healing spells become 50% less effective, but rot and poison will be able to sustain you just like it sustains those who share your fate.
-----------

Anyway I want to implement that and I'd like to know if it's possible and if it is then how?

+

Step3

Make each of these "Talents" or rather "Traits" exclude each other, so that you can't be a Frostborn and a Doomtouched or Infernal Grandchild. You can pick only one of those and it will be permanent. Once you make the choice of your character's special trait (AKA Talent) there's no going back or picking another. That's why these are all more powerful.

Would it be possible to put on these restrictions?

old hand
old hand
Talents are hardcoded AFAIK. You can monkey around with skills but not tallents. Pretty much anything like this you can mess with is found in the excel files when you unpack main.

T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Thanks for the info! Is there any tutorial on this? I'm guessing I will need some software for unpacking the main game file?

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
This thread:
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=505777

Contains a lot of good info about unpacking tools. They're pretty easy to use, just make sure you unpack to a subfolder and not directly into the DATA folder, as this can cause errors. I made a folder inside DATA called UNPACKED, and I work from there.

Last edited by Burgee; 14/11/14 04:38 PM.
T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Unfortunately after unpacking the main file I was unable to find "Talents" anywhere. Only skills. Does anyone know where the talents are?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by The_Ravager
Unfortunately after unpacking the main file I was unable to find "Talents" anywhere. Only skills. Does anyone know where the talents are?

Yep, that's what I was saying earlier. Talents can't be easily modified at the moment.

T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Originally Posted by SniperHF

Yep, that's what I was saying earlier. Talents can't be easily modified at the moment.

Well there is a talent restriction option, but wouldn't they be simply localized in some of the other archives? Like Game.pak?

old hand
old hand

Well there is a talent restriction option, but wouldn't they be simply localized in some of the other archives? Like Game.pak?

You'd think hahaha
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthr...;Words=talent&Search=true#Post529379

T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
So what you are saying is that even the restriction file is worthless since it won't work at all?

Like it was said here:

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=541134&#Post541134

Originally Posted by Rhidian
As of the current version of the game (v1.0.107) the Talents within the game have proven hard to mod. Changing their Requirements do nothing, the talents themselves are hardcoded into the game, etc etc. There isn't much that we are able to do about it.

While it may be impossible to change what the Talents actually do, we *can* add our own changes on top of their effect. That is what this mod aims to do.

Current changes:

The mod right now mostly consists of these two files-
1) The Story file
Code
Version 1
SubGoalCombiner SGC_AND
INITSECTION
DB_LoneWolfRetroactive(CHARACTER_Player1, 1);
DB_LoneWolfRetroactive(CHARACTER_Player2, 1);
KBSECTION
IF
CharacterUnlockedTalent(_Player, "Raistlin")
AND
_Player.IsPlayer()
AND
CharacterConsume(_Player, "GC_Drawback", _handle)
THEN
DB_TraitBalancing(_Player, "Raistlin", _handle);

IF
CharacterUnlockedTalent(_Player, "Raistlin")
AND
_Player.IsPlayer()
AND
CharacterHasTalent(_Player, "LoneWolf", 1)
AND
CharacterConsume(_Player, "GC_LW_Drawback", _handle)
THEN
DB_TraitBalancing(_Player, "LoneRaistlin", _handle);

IF
CharacterUnlockedTalent(_Player, "LoneWolf")
AND
_Player.IsPlayer()
AND
CharacterHasTalent(_Player, "Raistlin", 1)
AND
CharacterConsume(_Player, "GC_LW_Drawback", _handle)
THEN
DB_TraitBalancing(_Player, "LoneRaistlin", _handle);

IF
CharacterUnlockedTalent(_Player, _Talent)
AND
_Player.IsPlayer()
AND
CharacterHasTalent(_Player, "LoneWolf", 0)
AND
DB_TraitBalancing(_Player,"LoneRaistlin", _handle)
THEN
CharacterUnconsume(_Player, _handle);
NOT DB_TraitBalancing(_Player, "LoneRaistlin", _handle);

IF
AND
_Player.IsPlayer()
AND
CharacterHasTalent(_Player, "Raistlin", 0)
AND
DB_TraitBalancing(_Player,"LoneRaistlin", _handle)
THEN
NOT DB_TraitBalancing(_Player, "LoneRaistlin", _handle);

IF
AND
_Player.IsPlayer()
AND
CharacterHasTalent(_Player, "Raistlin", 0)
AND
DB_TraitBalancing(_Player,"Raistlin", _handle)
THEN
NOT DB_TraitBalancing(_Player, "Raistlin", _handle);

IF
CharacterUnlockedTalent(_Player, "LoneWolf")
AND
_Player.IsPlayer()
AND
CharacterGetLevel(_Player, _level)
AND
DB_LoneWolfRetroactive(_Player, _prevLevel)
AND
IntegerSubtract(_level, _prevLevel, _result)
AND
_result > 0
THEN
CharacterAddAbilityPoint(_Player, _result);
NOT DB_LoneWolfRetroactive(_Player, _prevLevel);
DB_LoneWolfRetroactive(_Player, _level);

IF
CharacterLeveledUp(_Player)
AND
_Player.IsPlayer()
AND
CharacterHasTalent(_Player, "LoneWolf", 1)
AND
CharacterGetLevel(_Player, _level)
AND
DB_LoneWolfRetroactive(_Player, _prevLevel)
THEN
NOT DB_LoneWolfRetroactive(_Player, _prevLevel);
DB_LoneWolfRetroactive(_Player, _level);
EXITSECTION

ENDEXITSECTION

and this Potion.txt file within my mod (Leech_Nerf isn't actually used above)-
Code
new entry "Leech_Nerf"
type "Potion"
data "Flags" "BleedingImmunity"
data "Duration" "-1"

new entry "GC_Drawback"
type "Potion"
data "FireResistance" "-100"
data "EarthResistance" "-100"
data "WaterResistance" "-100"
data "AirResistance" "-100"
data "PoisonResistance" "-100"
data "PiercingResistance" "-100"
data "SlashingResistance" "-100"
data "CrushingResistance" "-100"
data "Duration" "-1"

new entry "GC_LW_Drawback"
type "Potion"
data "Constitution" "-3"
data "APMaximum" "3"
data "APRecovery" "-2"
data "Duration" "-1"

Right now, this mod basically applies the "Potion" effects whenever a player unlocks either Glass Cannon ("Raistlin") and Lone Wolf (if it is combined with Glass Cannon). Note that the GC_LW_Drawback is effectively lowering the HP of the character without impacting their maximum AP.

It's also set to undo the effects should the player no longer have the Talent when they spend a talent point (such as after respec'ing), though this aspect hasn't been tested yet.

The other major change so far is that the Source Hunters have been set (via their RootTemplate) so that they do not bleed any blood. Needless to say, this nerfs Leech hard, such that it can only proc via blood from other sources (like enemies or neutral npcs).

WIP Version here (any updates will require a new game to take effect):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/t6vrtb6ios12byy/Balanced_Talents_WIP.zip

If you have any ideas on what talents need balancing, please feel free to share it here. There's a very good chance that I won't be able to do anything about it though due to the hard-coded nature of the talents.

Although the game was updated since then, so perhaps it's possible now?

Last edited by The_Ravager; 16/11/14 02:19 PM.
old hand
old hand
As you can see from Rhidian's work, the only way to really modify talents is to script effects that are applied if a player has a certain talent. You can't rename talents to traits or rename the talents, but you can do certain changes by scripting a permanent effect on your character if you take a talent. Your particular ideas might be somewhat hard to implement. I'm not sure if you can augment the damage or effectiveness for skills from one particular school.

One thing that might be fairly easy is making talents mutually exclusive. The "Requirements" stats file appears to do that. I haven't tried messing around with it, but I imagine that would work.

T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Originally Posted by Baardvark
As you can see from Rhidian's work, the only way to really modify talents is to script effects that are applied if a player has a certain talent. You can't rename talents to traits or rename the talents, but you can do certain changes by scripting a permanent effect on your character if you take a talent. Your particular ideas might be somewhat hard to implement. I'm not sure if you can augment the damage or effectiveness for skills from one particular school.

One thing that might be fairly easy is making talents mutually exclusive. The "Requirements" stats file appears to do that. I haven't tried messing around with it, but I imagine that would work.

If I made a full list of changes, then would you kindly create the script for me? I'm a student of politics not programming. I shouldn't know a power socket from a computer terminal xD

T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Bump. Just bringing this dead thread back with the help of internet necromancy to ask if anything changed.

Is this stuff more doable now?

Link Copied to Clipboard