Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
K
Hi, very basic problem here sorry. When i try to initiate a dialog with a creature that i've assigned a dialog nothing happens. When i hover over the NPC the little dialog blurb is showing but nothing happens when i click on it. THe weird thing is that i got dialog to work earlier by following a tutorial but now nothing happens. any idea of what i'm doing wrong?.

Is the DefaultDialog tab in the NPC's sidebar empty? It should say something there.

Are you making a custom module?

K
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
K
Originally Posted by JecklynHyde
Is the DefaultDialog tab in the NPC's sidebar empty? It should say something there.

Are you making a custom module?

Alright i got it to work when i turned off the global setting, but with that said i need to be able to have dialogs with global characters and i've gotten a weird problem now in which i can't build code.

IF
DialogStartRequested(CHARACTER_Jack, _Player)
THEN
DialogStartTwoSpeakerDialog("Test",CHARACTER_Jack,_Player);

when i try to build that code in my Jack_test goal i get a super long list of error messages saying "object 'character DAF_Zombie weresheep' is not defined" etc etc. I've been unpacking files to get the _start goal to appear so i'm unsure what is going on.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

K
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
K
Nice, it's not working for me though, not sure why. I've made a starting goal like in the video you posted.

_Start

in INIT: CHARACTER_Jack.isPlayer();

in KB:
IF
GameEventSet("GAMEEVENT_GameStarted")
THEN
InitStory();
GoalCompleted;

Then i have another goal that i dragged to start with the following code:

IF
DialogStartRequested(CHARACTER_Jack, CHARACTER_Boar)
THEN
DialogStartTwoSpeakerDialog("Test", CHARACTER_Boar,CHARACTER_Jack);

Now this code is possible to build, but if i place "_Player" instead of CHARACTER_Jack in the dialogStartTwoSpeakerDialog function it says that the parameter 3 is an unbound variable, which is odd considering i have the jack character assigned to being the player in the sidebar.

K
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
K
Actually now that i think about it don't think i've managed to get a single script to work and i get the error message "failed to parse script..did you forget to #include?". So maybe i should try and get the most basic kind of script working, any suggestions?

Last edited by karlgoran; 28/01/15 08:03 AM.
Save your scripts using Notepad then delete them from your Script Editor so you can start anew. Then try to follow Burgee's tutorial. You could also test the dialog script on a different test module if you want to leave your mod alone.

One bogus script can cause your other scripts to stop working. Also make sure that all your global characters and triggers have unique names. My module broke because two of my triggers had the same name.

K
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
K
I don't think it's an issue of names. Trying out this code in completely fresh mod with only one goal didn't work, it still says that it fails to parse scripts:

IF
CharacterEnteredTrigger(CHARACTER_Jack,TRIGGER_BoxTest)
THEN
CharacterAddGold(CHARACTER_Jack, 100);

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
You're reversing your characters.

DialogStartRequested(CHARACTER_NPC, _Player)
THEN
DialogStartTwoSpeakerDialog("BrewerBeth",CHARACTER_NPC,_Player);

Notice how the NPC comes first in both calls?

Yours:

DialogStartRequested(CHARACTER_Jack, CHARACTER_Boar)
THEN
DialogStartTwoSpeakerDialog("Test", CHARACTER_Boar,CHARACTER_Jack);

In the first on you reference Jack first, in the second one Jack is second. This is probably your error culprit.

K
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
K
Thanks that made the code buildable but still nothing happens when i run the game:
_Start goal:
CHARACTER_Jack.IsPlayer();

IF
GameSetEvent("GAMEEVENT_GameStarted")
THEN
InitStory();
GoalCompleted;

Test goal
IF
DialogStartRequested(CHARACTER_Boar, _Player)
THEN
DialogStartTwoSpeakerDialog("Test",CHARACTER_Boar, _Player);

I really think i need to try to get the most basic script to work just to see if there's something fundamentally wrong with my setup. The box trigger thing didn't work, for example.

Last edited by karlgoran; 28/01/15 07:09 PM.
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
You sure you have a Dialog created and named "Test"?

What happens when you run the game? Provide all the details you can so we can help you more quickly. You can't just say "it doesn't work"

Last edited by Burgee; 28/01/15 11:06 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
If you're having some basic issues with starting a standalone mod, you might want to check a template I've done.

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=561135#Post561135

There's a working dialog in place and the Main dependency is there. You don't need to unpack as it's a zip file with a README that tells you what to do.

Let me know if you use it. I might invest more time in it and setup more examples if people show interest in the template.

K
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
K
Originally Posted by Burgee
You sure you have a Dialog created and named "Test"?

What happens when you run the game? Provide all the details you can so we can help you more quickly. You can't just say "it doesn't work"

I've taken a bunch of screenshots that i hope give a good overview of everything :):

This is what happens when i run the module, unfortunately the mouse can't be seen when i do a screenshot but no speech bubble comes up when i hover the mouse over the Orc, just the usual pointer
[Linked Image]

Names of the characters:

[Linked Image]

error messages, couldn't parce scripts appears everytime i try to either run the mod or when i build in the story editor:

[Linked Image]

Dialog saved:

[Linked Image]

code:

[Linked Image]

code:

[Linked Image]

Dialogue (dialog?):

[Linked Image]

journeyman
journeyman
You missed one of the most important image that we need to see :
The Side bar of your NPC.

Can you give us the full path where you save your dialogs?
EX : E:\Utilities\steam\SteamApps\common\Divinity - Original Sin\Data\Mods\Of_Doves_and_Demons_43b0b770-68a1-4798-b171-2aa387962cff\Story\Keywords

Also, make sure that your Leave node in your dialog has the checkbox : Show at Start ticked.

Last edited by TheMasterRat; 29/01/15 02:36 AM.
K
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
K
Originally Posted by TheMasterRat
If you're having some basic issues with starting a standalone mod, you might want to check a template I've done.

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=561135#Post561135

There's a working dialog in place and the Main dependency is there. You don't need to unpack as it's a zip file with a README that tells you what to do.

Let me know if you use it. I might invest more time in it and setup more examples if people show interest in the template.

I followed the instructions and then i loaded the mod that was included, i wrote a little test script and as soon as i added it i started getting can't parce script error again. I got a lot of "ossiris triggered an asset" as well though, so is that an indication that the scripts i've taken from you are working and that thes sscripts i write doesn't? very odd.

K
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
K
Originally Posted by TheMasterRat
You missed one of the most important image that we need to see :
The Side bar of your NPC.

Can you give us the full path where you save your dialogs?
EX : E:\Utilities\steam\SteamApps\common\Divinity - Original Sin\Data\Mods\Of_Doves_and_Demons_43b0b770-68a1-4798-b171-2aa387962cff\Story\Keywords

Also, make sure that your Leave node in your dialog has the checkbox : Show at Start ticked.

Here is the NPC sidebar (gotta click the image though because it got cropped), i have show at start ticked in the leave node:

[Linked Image]

oh and the path for the dialog: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Divinity - Original Sin\Data\Mods\Dok_44bf3c72-2927-459d-9ed1-2f9b10259cb1\Story\Keywords

Last edited by karlgoran; 29/01/15 03:00 AM.
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
The sidebar DefaultDialog needs to be populated. Just type "Default" into it with no quotes.

K
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
K
Nope that didn't work, i get the speech bubble but when i click on the orc no dialog is initiated. I thought the the default dialog field should be left blank btw if you're using a global character.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by karlgoran
Nope that didn't work, i get the speech bubble but when i click on the orc no dialog is initiated. I thought the the default dialog field should be left blank btw if you're using a global character.

Did you compile the story script? For your effects to be taken into consideration, you need to open the Story window ( the [S] at the top) and press F7.

The template module I have put has a working dialog, use that as a reference.

Also, your character's alignment is Evil NPC.
change that to Neutral NPC or Good NPC.

Also I saw in the console "Jack has no alignment" make him Hero.

Last edited by TheMasterRat; 29/01/15 04:56 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard