Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#560920 05/01/15 05:49 PM
OP Offline
I put in the code MusicPlay("Playlist_Friendly"); but nothing happens. I checked the Create and view resources folder and found the music section but none of the tracks play when I click Play. Was I supposed to unpack something to make this work?

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I've been fighting with this myself. Getting music to play is really hit or miss for me. I've tried copying the Assets folder to my mod (it's like 2gb)and then music would play from the resource manager but it didn't make much difference as to whether or not it worked in game.

I've used LStools to unpack the playlist or music.lsx file (cant remember the filename right now) and found some stuff in there like track titles and that sort of thing to use for reference.

I haven't learned how to get it 100% working yet, and I'm saving it for last at this point due to lack of success.

Last edited by Burgee; 05/01/15 06:18 PM.
OP Offline
Bumping this. I saved music for last as well but I'm getting towards the end of my project now.

OP Offline
Can you hear the music play when you click the file in the resource manager?

old hand
old hand
Are you trying to play a specific track?

I just use SoundVolumeTriggers and in the sidebar set a playlist as the "music resource".

Example "Playlist_LUC_Silverglen_new".

Seems to work without copying anything.

OP Offline
Yeah, I want to play a certain track and change the music mid-game. I tried a few things:
1. Open the Atmosphere Panel, Open Resource Manager, select "Playlist_BlackCoveDescent", send it to the Atmosphere Panel by clicking the green button in the [Varia] tab under Sound and Music. Note you can actually double click the music tracks in the resource manager and there is a big Play and Stop button. I assumed that if my music was working I could preview the music there, however, when I click nothing happens.

2. Tried scripting the music to play after an event:
IF
CharacterCreationFinished(CHARACTER_NULL)
THEN
CharacterTeleportPartyToTrigger(TRIGGER_TheGameBegins, "");
ItemToCharacter(ITEM_GameManual1,CHARACTER_Player1);
ItemToCharacter(ITEM_GameManual2,CHARACTER_Player2);
MusicPlay("Playlist_LUC_Silverglen_new");
InitStory();
GoalCompleted;

Can you explain how to use the soundtriggers? Does it have to be global? Do I need to activate it with a script? How do you make the music change mid-game?

I placed a sound trigger in game then opened the sidebar, but it won't accept anything in the Music Resource area. I can open the resource manager and find music files but I can't transfer them over, or type it by hand.

Last edited by JecklynHyde; 24/01/15 12:28 AM.
OP Offline
Bump

OP Offline
Can anyone explain these sound triggers by chance?

old hand
old hand
There are two types of sound triggers. The POINTsoundTrigger and the SoundVolumeTrigger.

Neither have to be global or scripted.

Since you want the music to start after being teleported to a trigger the easiest thing to do would be to create a corresponding SoundVolumeTrigger at the same location as the trigger you are teleporting to.

1. Add a soundvolumeTrigger where your characters are being teleported to.
2. Open the sidebar and switch your trigger to a box or sphere since they are more predictable. You can mess with a poly later if you want.
3. make the size something big enough and match it to your characters desired position.
4. Still on the side bar of the sound volume trigger, select Music Resource and the 3 dot button. 5. Open the resource manager.
6. In the resource manager make sure to hit that stupid red PIN so the sidebar will function properly.
7. Now go back to the side bar of your soundvoltrigger and again click the resource manager button.
8. Find the playlist you want, click it and head back over to the side bar.
9. Again at the sidebar this time hit the green arrow and it should populate your selection.
10. reload the module, I find anything sound related needs a reload.
11. Try walking into or teleporting into the trigger.

^that's basically the same procedure as adding instances to the instance painter. It's finicky but will work.

You can also add ambient resources the same way. Background talking in a tavern for instance.

I tried monkeying around with the playmusic call but couldn't get it to work. Nor could I find a mention of it in the main game scripts. Will play around with it more later. Scripting it for certain occasions would be nice but I haven't found a way yet. Probably work spelunking in main some more.

OP Offline
Hmm, I followed your instructions step-by-step but still had no luck.

Does the SoundVolumeTrigger have to be set to Global?
Did you unpack any music files from the main game?
Can you preview the music tracks when you double click them in the resource editor?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by JecklynHyde
Hmm, I followed your instructions step-by-step but still had no luck.

Does the SoundVolumeTrigger have to be set to Global?
Did you unpack any music files from the main game?
Can you preview the music tracks when you double click them in the resource editor?

No to all of those.

Were you able to get the music resource added to the sidebar of the trigger?
Or is the problem that when you enter the trigger it simply doesn't start?

You might want to check your music volume setting in the game from inside the editor too just to verify.

It may not actually work from a teleport, you might have to walk into it.

Far as the pointsoundtriggers go, those are useful for when you need a sound effect but not a visual one.

Example: my mod has a house built on a hill where you can find a secret ladder that leads under ground. But when you climb down the ladder it snaps in half and falls down and you can't get back up. So I added a crashing thud sound effect to a pointsoundtrigger in the instanced area where the ladder down teleports you to. Works pretty well.

The other type of sound trigger I didn't mention before is the Dummy trigger. That's basically the same as the pointsoundtrigger except you use it to place continuous sounds like grinding machinery.

Last edited by SniperHF; 01/02/15 09:57 AM.
OP Offline
Yeah, I got the music resource added to the sidebar, and I tried 3 different tracks. I also tried just walking into the trigger. I reloaded the module. I tested within the editor and trying to play the game normally as well.

Where can I check the music volume setting?

old hand
old hand
Same place you do in game, in the menu. Can't access it with escape though you have to click it on the UI. I's up by the mini map somewhere.

I won't have access to my editor for a few days but when I get back I'll check and see if I missed something.

What tracks did you try? I think you have to use ones with "playlist" in the title.

Last edited by SniperHF; 01/02/15 10:52 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard