Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#563806 04/03/15 02:54 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Alright, so, as always, I threw myself into the game and started mucking about fairly quickly, because there's always something that just nags me just the wrong way and makes me throw a spanner in the works.

But damn, the more involved I get, the more I realize that D:OS is downright hostile towards modding. It's like a minefield of issues that just makes you go "Nope." "Guess Not." and "Well balls."

Anyway, before I even started, I got a mod that allowed you to craft dyes. I was like "Oh, you can't already craft dyes? Well, of course I need to get that."

But then, just today, I noticed something very odd. There's supposed to be a recipe for making Dwarven Stew, by taking a cooked meal (I forget the name of the item) and add Beer to it.

Said and done, I throw beer over my food, the crafting interface comes up, it shows me a picture of a Dwarven Stew, I press Go, the little bar animation plays, it finishes... and nothing.

Didn't consume my beer. Didn't consume my food. Didn't give me a dwarven stew.

So what do I have that could interfere with this, I think to myself. Well I've got that dye mod I don't really use much anyway. I should try turning that off, maybe all recipes are stored in a central file and the mod screws with something added or fixed in a patch.

[b]Ha ha ha ha ha, [i]NO.[/i][/b]

The game won't have none of that shit, and apparently you can't turn mods off, for some asinine reason beyond comprehension.

[b]Is there a workaround for this?[/b] I already tried to use lstools.exe to unpack the savegame's .lsv file, remove the mod from the meta.lsb, and repack it, but all that does is result in an "incompatible" savegame file.

[spoiler]On a related topic, I must say that it's truly heartbreaking to see a game that was so lauded and praised (with good reason, the game is amazing; I initially passed it because I thought it looked like yet another lootwhore ARPG) being all but forgotten and seemingly largely ignored less than a year later.[/spoiler]

Luckmann #563817 04/03/15 07:51 PM
Support
Support

Others have mentioned just swapping the meta.lsb file with one from a new game. You wouldn't need to repack the save files in order to load it.

Luckmann #563822 04/03/15 08:38 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
...that's.. actually very basic. I have no idea why it didn't occur to me.

As for not needing to repacking the save files, I just drop the unpacked files in a regular save folder?

Thanks a lot, I'll try it out right away. smile

Edit: Worked like a charm, thanks a whole bunch! I have to ask, if the meta.lsb can so easily be replaced by a meta.lsb from any other save, why does it even exist? All it seems to do is to interfere with removing mods, but I have a hard time thinking that's intended.

Last edited by Luckmann; 04/03/15 08:49 PM.
Luckmann #563829 04/03/15 09:56 PM
Support
Support

The meta.lsb file is meant to contain information about the save, for use when displaying the preview in the load window, and loading the save (contains save timestamp, version info, game time, current game map, difficulty, an md5 checksum value, etc).

Luckmann #563833 05/03/15 02:38 AM
M
stranger
stranger
M
To ensure a mod is completely gone, go to the following locations (on Windows 7) and delete them...

For .pak file mods:

1) C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin\Mods

For any mod that you fiddled with yourself (delete folder <MODNAME>)

2) C:\...\Divinity\steamapps\common\Divinity - Original Sin\Data\Mods\<MODNAME>

and (delete folder <MODNAME>)

3) C:\...\Divinity\steamapps\common\Divinity - Original Sin\Data\Public\<MODNAME>

Obviously directory locations may be different on your machine, but you hopefully get the idea.

If you actually fiddle the game's Main data files...well then it gets tricky. Hopefully you haven't messed with anything in the \Data\Public\Main\Assets\Sound folder, because if you HAVEN'T just delete everything else under \Data\Public\Main EXCEPT that Assets\Sound folder and you should be back to default. You may also need to delete anything under Data\Mods\Main as well, but I'm not sure on that one.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Take care!

p.s. and omg, I agree with you wholeheartedly; this game is so awesome and such a late find for me (like a month ago), but I can't understand why there isn't this HUGE modding community flourishing around it yet; it's been what, about 8 months almost? if I had to guess I'd put the blame on lack of sufficient documentation from Larian?

Luckmann #564061 10/03/15 05:32 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
the answer is self evident, but for the sake of bumping this thread..

i really hope the next game will feature an editor as "mainstream oriented" / "idiot proof" as say Morrowind's or Skyrim's

the fact that everything is so, so obfuscated, undocumented and obscure is precisely why you see said lack of mods. And will continue to

whatever D:OS's current success, it is less than half of what it could have been. Nothing to promote an older RPG (say in the future) better than an active, diverse modding scene. Whatever the numbers they are getting now, i sincerely believe they are but a small portion of what they -could- have got, time allowed of course, had their editor been..easier really smile

there is an immense worth in having an editor that even a clueless person like me can use. The amount of hours i've spent, the joy experienced, by doing simple alterations in other games.. just non-existent here.

[the good and the bad yeah? No flaming intent, on the contrary]

edit: @OP, since the dyes moddule is one i am running myself, do be kind enough and let me know if it really was the source of your issues please?
Am talking about http://www.nexusmods.com/divinityoriginalsin/mods/25/?

Last edited by Aenra; 10/03/15 05:38 PM.

Pride, honour and purity
Luckmann #564064 10/03/15 06:06 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Oh, don't worry. It wasn't. It's apparently a known bug and your mod actually works fine, and I have since tinkered a bit with it myself, using it as a template for adding my own crafting recipes, notable Water Arrow (Bottle of Water + Arrow Shaft), Fire Arrowhead (Cloth Rags + Cup of Oil) and Smokescreen Arrowhead (Empty Bottle + Fire Arrowhead); I'm also going to add a Smokescreen Arrow recipe by adding an Empty Bottle directly to a Fire Arrow, but I haven't gotten around to it.

But yeah, your mod works fine and there's a few bugs with using Beer on a Dinner to make a Dwarven Stew.

Luckmann #564067 10/03/15 07:04 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Thanks Luckmann smile

Pride, honour and purity
Luckmann #564152 12/03/15 11:23 AM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
By the way, Aenra, I've figured out how to actually make recipes, but how do you figure out the item codes?

Luckmann #564154 12/03/15 01:30 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
not sure i follow, but in case i got you, well wrong person to ask really smile
have yet to find a need for toying around in such a way. Have you tried the editor?

Pride, honour and purity
Luckmann #564163 12/03/15 06:24 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I couldn't get the editor to work, it just crashes on launch once I've configured the Data and the EditorData folder locations. All work I've done I've actually done by editing the mod files directly with Notepad++ or Lstool.

If I use the savegame editor, I should be able to check the codes for the various items and such, though.. I'll check that out, methinks.

Luckmann #564177 12/03/15 10:07 PM
Support
Support

Check out the First time editor setup guide for setting the path locations (delete the config.xml file in the Divinity Engine install folder to get the config window on startup again).

Raze #564194 13/03/15 06:16 AM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Raze

Check out the First time editor setup guide for setting the path locations (delete the config.xml file in the Divinity Engine install folder to get the config window on startup again).

Didn't really have any trouble at all with that.

Luckmann #564212 13/03/15 12:59 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
does it by any chance require external software to run? Visual studios (and if so, which version), .NET, etc? As i'd already had them all installed prior to it, i admit i never even checked, but if you are unsure yourself it might worth a look

also, did you happen to patch the game to some higher version -after- you had setup the editor? Again i do not know if this can be an issue or not, but just to be on the safe side, i treat D:OS as i treat all other editor included games. Patch to end, then setup editor, always last

and lastly, though this probably does not apply to you, but setting it up wrongly the first time (ie giving it wrong folders to look and store in) cannot be fixed without literally uninstalling the entire game AND reinstalling it..and i talk from experience..:)

Pride, honour and purity

Link Copied to Clipboard