Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
stranger
stranger
P
EditorDataPath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Divinity - Original Sin\Data\Editor\
GameDataPath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Divinity - Original Sin\Data\

P
stranger
stranger
P
That being said, it seems that everything is saving to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Divinity - Original Sin\Data\Mods\<NameOfMod> though I have not attempted to customize any materials or anything fancy like that. All I have done so far is simply sculpt and texture terrain using the editor tools and place items and walls.

old hand
old hand
I'm getting this issue too. I haven't been terraining for a while, but just did some experiments and can't edit the terrain after closing the engine. Basically completely ruins modding, and probably has been a huge factor in the stagnation of this community. It's weird how only some people get this problem, and that Seb can't even reproduce it. Of all the people working at Larian, not one of them has gotten this problem? Obviously they're not all texturing, but it's weird how this only seems to be an issue for modders.

P
stranger
stranger
P
I hope you don't give up. I never posted back on this, because I'm not sure yet if I have an answer, but I can tell you what I did. I copied the folders from ..\Data\<modName>\Levels\ to ..\Data\Editor\Mods\Levels\ and I was able to edit the terrain for 2 out of the 5 levels I have in progress. Sadly, those were the two I had spent the least amount of time working on.
I tried this because one of the hints I received from attempting to edit and save level data said something about the editor not having access to the terrain data, so I made a Mod folder in the Editor folder and stuck stuff in there. I have been recreating my main level terrain and saving often, and when I saw your post tonight I checked both folders and it seems I got lucky and both folders have terrain files with today's date as the date last modified, and very similar file sizes for Terrain_00.data
Let me be clear: I tried MANY things... this is the one I *think* worked, but I can't be sure, which is why I don't want to call this a solution.
Raze helped me sort out some other problems I was having, and he said they are really close to finishing up additional editor features and great new stuff for us... I chose to believe this means very soon and I am excited laugh I can only hope that what they are working on right now fills in some of the gaps and gives me more tools to make my mod better than I ever hoped.
In the process of learning the editor, to the extent that I have so far, I have lost a bunch of work. Thanks to my own sheer stupidity, I lost the entire level for my first efforts at creating a mod, so about a week and a half's time right there. Each time I lose stuff, I tell myself that every time I have had to recreate my work I have always made it better and that I am getting better and faster at it. Yes, it is frustrating, but learning is hard and it takes time.
I'd like to think I'll be close to finishing in two weeks or so, but today I wiped out a huge forest area *twice* (on purpose) because in building it I figured out a way to make it better.

This last bit I am saying just in hope that it will help curb some of the frustration. I hope you keep building and rebuilding and that you eventually get WAY more than you hoped for when you started on this.

Save extra copies of your module as often as possible. I haven't had the problem since, but it occurred for me when I added my second terrain. After re-opening the editor, everything was suddenly flat on my first terrain. I had to load an older version of my module. Thankfully the issue hasn't happened again - although I'm still terrified of touching up my terrains to this day.

old hand
old hand
Holy wow, that actually worked, for both my levels (a new one and a really, really old one)! I just copied (and still leaving) the folders from the mod folder to the editor folder and it worked. Maybe it won't solve everyone's problem, and we'll whether that creates any problems, but it's a great start if not all you have to do to solve this. Yet, you still had terrains not work, so maybe not a fix-all, but it fixed all for me at least (for now).

Trust me, I've stuck through this for a while now. I almost gave up on Of Doves and Demons because of the silliest thing (triggers named with dashes in them causing the code to break), but with Rat on the team, we're making great progress and, like you say, the mod has far exceeded my expectations. And Jekyl, we've got many, many past versions stockpiling up on dropbox now. Version control is essential to making a big mod, or else some mistake or bug may ruin everything.

Glad to hear someone else is working on a mod, and that Larian should be supporting us better fairly soon. And thanks for the tip, has upped my motivation to know it's not an insurmountable bug.

P
stranger
stranger
P
claphands

Last edited by preechr; 25/01/15 07:52 AM.
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I can confirm that I don't even HAVE A Data/Modname/Levels folder. All of my mod files are stored in Data/Mods/Modname, Data/Public/Modname and Data/Editor/Modname. This terrain issue has never happened to me.

I *knew* from your symptoms that you had something in the wrong directory, but why in the world the editor is saving your mod to Data/modname/ is beyond me. Thats why I insisted on seeing your editor paths.

I'm confident that you've fixed your issue. Good work!

Last edited by Burgee; 25/01/15 02:48 PM.
old hand
old hand
I'm sure he meant data/mods/modname/levels, and that's where my terrains were and still breaking. But they weren't in the editor file and I suppose they need to be. It's just strange how many people this has affected, and how many people it doesn't. It's kind of like the AI folder problem early on where the editor wasn't correctly generating the AI folder and made everything break, but at least that affected everyone.

M
stranger
stranger
M
the problem is the devs stated in their tutorial video the EditorDataPath in the preferences options CAN be anything. Actually it only can be
"E:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Divinity - Original Sin\Data\Editor\" for steam.
as you can see the drive and the steam library does not matters but the "\Data\Editor\ must be exactly this.
Basically the engine stores the mod and its stuff in 3 places
"/Data/Editor/Mods/"
"/Data/Mods/"
"/Data/Public/"
Setting the right editor path will solve this locked terrain editing problem for new mods, for existing ones i am sure you can figure it what to copy where

P
stranger
stranger
P
OK so, just to make this clear (in case someone else has the same problem and comes here looking for the solution) I made a typo in my most recent post, as Baardvark said.
I clearly stated my Data Paths, which are correct and did not change. That was not the problem.
From the first time I was asked to supply them:
EditorDataPath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Divinity - Original Sin\Data\Editor\
GameDataPath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Divinity - Original Sin\Data\

Even with these data paths being correct, the application was not saving the files it needed to the mods folder in the editor path.
It may be that part of the setup procedure should include manually making a mods folder there... I don't know, but in the event someone has that problem, doing so after the problem occurs won't fix it.
If your terrain becomes uneditable, 2 of us have gotten positive results from copying some of the contents of:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Divinity - Original Sin\Data\Mods\<yourmodname>
To a new folder called Mods that we created in:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Divinity - Original Sin\Data\Editor\Mods\<yourmodname>

Specifically, I copied over the Levels folder, which contains AI and terrain files for all the levels in my mod.

As I said, if that Mods folder does not exist, just create one. Same thing with the folder inside it for your mod... Just make sure you cut and paste the name, since you don't want to get the UID wrong.

It appears, contrary to repeated assumptions, that you can have your data paths set correctly and still, in some cases, run into this problem. If so, try this.

Last edited by preechr; 07/02/15 06:14 PM.
A
stranger
stranger
A
When is this bug fixed? Looks like this is 6 months old bug and still present.

Error message is:

Error in terrain painter, layer 2 of your terrain might be corrupt. Are you editing optimized terrain?

After saving and reloading map, sometimes editor gets lag spike and starts giving that message.

Also corrupts whole level. crashes editor when trying to open.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Hmm... it seems i managed to fix this problem for now.

I copied Terrain_000 from ....Steam\SteamApps\common\Divinity - Original Sin\Data\Editor\Mods\Mod_name\Levels\test_level\Terrains to ...Steam\SteamApps\common\Divinity - Original Sin\Data\Mods\Mod_name\Levels\test_level\Terrains and overwrote it.

for some reason that file is bigger in size in editor folder than in mods folder, probably doesn't save something there that is needed in editor.

Last edited by Anomalous; 26/04/15 06:27 PM. Reason: text edit
M
stranger
stranger
M
Hi guys, I've been following this thread (and threads similar to this one) for some time having experienced the same issues with un-editable terrain.
I just wanted to confirm what worked for me.
First thing I've done was to correct the game and editor paths in "Options\Preferences". What I actually had to do was to put capitalised "Data" and "Editor". This alone allowed me to save new levels correctly and edit them again after re-opening the engine.
To edit old modules what I did was what Baardvark said. I copied files from Data\Mods\"Modname"\Levels\"levelname" to Data\Editor\Mods\"Modname"\Levels\"Levelname".

Worked like I charm. Thank you guys for investigating this issue :)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard