Next Thread
Print Thread
S
shmerl Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
I saw some news that you are developing a new game. However it wasn't crowdfunded, but rather financed by Focus Home Interactive (it's a French publisher).

Can you please clarify, will this publisher allow you to release this game DRM-free? And are you planning the Linux version? I don't see their games on GOG, so the question of DRM is concerning. Linux releases are also something that many publishers aren't generally interested in.

Support
Support

The next games will be built on the same engine and gameplay mechanics of D:OS, DRM free, Windows, Mac and Linux. In the topic So where is that Linux version anyway? the extra work and time required for the Linux version was justified specifically because Larian didn't want to compromise on making a native port of the engine "...such that our future offerings will also include Linux support."

Dragon Commander and D:OS were self published. Larian is in the process of opening a couple new offices and hiring more people, so whatever financial backing Focus is providing, I don't think it is acting as a publisher, with the usual control that involves. D:OS also had financial backers and loans involved, with some money from advances from distributors for the retail version, who handled the localizations and guaranteed a minimum number of sales. Some of those distributing deals were with publishers.

S
shmerl Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by Raze
whatever financial backing Focus is providing, I don't think it is acting as a publisher, with the usual control that involves.

So it's similar to how Paradox worked in partnership with Obsidian, but Obsidian remained full owners of Pillars of Eternity? If so, it's good news.

Last edited by shmerl; 07/05/15 04:00 AM.

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard