I've installed the German D2:ED box version and the German FoV box version. This is patch 1.4-something (the version number is not displayed in the main menu, unfortunately), but not the latest patch.
It seems there's a bug with the Imp Lair ("Bau der Imps" in the German version). According to what I could find in the internet, this dungeon should apparently be solved as follows:
- The flame walls disappear one ofter another as you kill the imps.
- The wooden door at the end is locked.
- One of the imps drops a key when killed.
- You open the door with the key, enter the final chamber and free Arthur Gremory.
In my game, the situation is:
- None of the flame walls disappears, even when I kill all of the imps in this dungeon.
- The wooden door at the end is open right from the start.
- None of the imps drops a key when killed.
- When I enter the final chamber, the door closes and locks. There is no key in this chamber. I can free Arthur Gremory, but I'm taking damage from the fire even during the conversation. If I'm talking to him for too long, the dialogue is terminated by my character's death.
I've tried to solve this problem by installing the latest patch, loading a save from before I had entered the Imp Lair and then going there, but that doesn't change anything. Additionally , there's no sound in the version with the latest patch. I never had sound issues with the box version, but after installing the latest patch, only the animated logos have sound. As soon as I get to the main menu, the game is mute.
I've deinstalled the game now and installed the box version again - and as sound is back to normal, I will continue playing the box version.
In the Imp Lair, I can get out of the locked chamber by using the Dragon Stone, so it's merely an annoyance, not a quest breaker, but I will keep my saves from in and before the Imp Lair in case you want to look into this.