Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Hi, I just bought this game last night and as the title says i'm having a problem with div2 crashing at the very beginning. I should add before we get started i've been through the forum and done all the necessary steps, directx (you're version already has the updated files blah blah) so there was no need for that. Also the same with pyhsx software, mine was already newer than the link posted on the main tech support page. I also currently have no A/V activated, and my firewall is off, so there should have been no interference with installation. On that note i might add this game was bought and played through STEAM. So there's no cd cracks or any of that crap going on. I don't know what else to you other then i start the game, i click "play" it loads for about 30 seconds with that bar down the bottom and the helpful hints, then all of a sudden the game just crashes to desktop. I'll give you some info about my system as there's no error message when the game drops.

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 4/3/2011, 12:03:07
Machine name: *******-*******
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.101209-1647)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: EP45-DS3L
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs)
Memory: 3326MB RAM
Page File: 800MB used, 4409MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0612&SUBSYS_829B1043&REV_A2
Display Memory: 512.0 MB
Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Compaq WF1907 Wide LCD Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1440,900
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0012.6099 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 10/17/2010 04:25:00, 6359552 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
Mini VDD Date: 10/17/2010 04:25:00, 9623680 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4552-11CF-2064-97A203C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x0612
SubSys ID: 0x829B1043
Revision ID: 0x00A2
Revision ID: 0x00A2
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D
Deinterlace Caps: {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
{6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
{6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
{6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled

I'm playing call of duty black ops at the moment, crisis, darksiders, so i don't know how it could be a gfx or sound issue

thanks in advance for your time

Last edited by lynn; 06/04/11 02:39 PM.
Support
Support

Have you tried lowering the game resolution and graphics settings? I don't know how much you can configure before the game loads, but the 'crash to desktop' section of the topic [PC] Support FAQ - The Dragon Knight Saga describes several things that can be changed manually.

In Windows Explorer can you find the intro.wmv file and play it in Windows Media Player?

Try playing the game at your desktop resolution; limiting the resolution switching could help to avoid the problem.

If you haven't done so already, email support@larian.com (see the DKS support page), with a description of the problem and maybe a link to this post.

D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Yeah i tried lowering the resolution to what my desktop resolution is at, infact i tried about 4 of them lol. I also went through the graphics settings on advanced mode and turned alot those options off and turned down the meters (not so much down the meters, i mean i dont want to play a game that looks like zelda from 1996) espicially when my computer can handle other games fine, and my tests for this game pass 2x fold. I located the video you asked and yeah i can play it through windows media player, i went to story folder and skills folder too and played some of them they work fine.

i was reading somewhere about turning the videos off then turning them back on after (that it might work) i can't find where to turn videos off in the game though :S Also i found a patch called "hotfix" for this, but i can't install it because however the patch was made, it wasn't made to search a steam directory, it acts as though the game isn't even installed when i try run it. i thought that would solve my troubles because it said "crash fix" in it, but yeah it can't find the directory and you can't specify one. I sent a report that email just after i posted here from that divinitytool thing where it gets all your info and turns it into an xml. file, although i just realised i didn't link my thread to it.. so that was stupid lol. i'll do it tomorrow when i get the time.

thanks for looking into it, hopefully i can get this thing going soon, was looking forward to smile

Support
Support

Steam patches have to go through Steam. Larian released a hotfix for the retail and other download versions, but it took a couple days for Steam to make it available. However, those fixes are included in the second patch, which should be included in the full download by now, or available if you check for updates.

You can probably wait until Larian support replies to give them the link to this topic (assuming you don't add a bunch of info here that wasn't in your email).

The 'crash to desktop' section of the support FAQ mentions how to disable videos, at the end.

The game crashes to desktop.

Solution
There are multiple things that could cause this issue and the following solutions have already helped people who had the game crash to desktop.

1. If you have an nVidia card: please go to the nVidia control panel and set your PhysX setting to processor instead of automatic. Then check if Divinity II works. (You should also be able to specifically disable PhysX hardware support for this particular game.)

2. Could you try changing the resolution setting to the lowest possible that your screen can handle and then try starting the game? As soon as it starts up, you can change the resolution in game.

Changing the resolution manually is done in this file:

Windows Vista and Windows 7: C:\Users\[WindowsUser]\AppData\Local\Divinity 2\Profile\graphicoptions.xml

Windows XP: C:\Documents And Settings\[WindowsUser]\Local Settings\Application Data\Divinity 2\Profile\graphicoptions.xml

Right-click and choose edit, or open it in Notepad or another text editor.

Change the following values and set them to a safe and low resolution, for example:

ScreenWidth="800" ScreenHeight="600"

Save the XML file and try to boot the game.

If that doesn't work, try to manually change these options in the same xml file:

UseHDR="0" UseDesktopResInFullscreen="0" ShadowTimeSlicing="1"

Save the XML file and try to boot the game.

3. There may be something wrong with your audio codecs. Try installing the AC3 Audio Filter codecs from the following URL:

http://ac3filter.net/projects/ac3filter/releases

4. It may be possible that the intro video cannot be played and that the game hangs on this. Our game uses WMV which is natively supported by Windows, but some codecs may break this support. To disable video's, look for this XML file:

C:\Program Files\[Installation Folder]\data\globalswitches.xml

Right-click and choose edit, or open it in Notepad or another text editor. Change the PlayVideo option to 0:

PlayVideo="0"

Save and exit, and start the game to verify.

D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Thankyou very much for the quick replies, i skipped through resolution stuff and turning off videos and downloaded that ac3filter to see if that was the problem (was unsure about what codecs i had, figured cos i had updated divx and such that the codecs would be updated, but i was wrong lol. i just got into the main screen to create my character smile not sure if its fully operational yet but it didnt crash at the start so all looks good so far, tyvm for your time and troubleshooting

dan

Support
Support

Glad you got it working, and hopefully it stays that way. wave

apprentice
apprentice
This is one of the good things with Xbox 360. You do not have to worry about what programs you need, if your computer can handle the graphics, if the processor is good enough etc...
The only downside I can find is worse graphics(depends on computer)...

Lucky for me I have the Xbox versions... laugh

What is the value of life, without God, if no one created the value but mankind. Answer is no value...
Except from when playing D2:DKS!!!

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard