Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
TkVl Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
First of all, I'm new here so if the issue showed here has been solved please pardon me, and sorry if my English grammar is wrong.
I just update my PC recently, its not a very high spec one, but capable to run D2: EC smoothly. But that game was bugful, so i gave up on that. Thx Dev team for releasing a new, much better version of game - DKS.
So the problem is when i play game, every clip (intro, cutscenes, skill showing ones) is always open up another window called ActiveWindow Movie and it's annoying. The worst problem is if i play fullscreen that window doesn't play the clip, and when i click back the game window it causes crash. Clips are played in windowed mode, of course still in AWM though i'm able to click back without crashing in that mode. However playing in windowed mode disable gammar setting and going into dungeons is a nightmare to my eyes.
My game is fully patched, drivers are latest.
Btw, i can't get the game to save the "Use Multi-core" setting, it asked to restart but then the option is deactived like b4.
Any help would be much appreciated, thanks you.

Support
Support

What version of the game do you have? (region / language / retail or download)

In Windows Explorer if you find the intro.wmv file and double click it, does it open and play in Windows Media Player?

Do you have any codec packs installed? Maybe something like FFDShow or your graphics drivers are set to apply some kind of effect and open videos in an overlay window?

Are you shutting down all non-essential programs before starting the game, especially anything multi-media related?

The 'crash to desktop' section of the topic [PC] Support FAQ - The Dragon Knight Saga describes several things that can be changed manually, including disabling videos (hopefully you will not need to do that, though).

There may be a setting in one of the configuration files where you can manually try setting the 'use multi-core' option.

A couple people who had problems with the skill preview videos simply deleted the files ([FIXED] - Skills menu lag!). You should be able to rename the intro video, as well.

Try emailing support@larian.com, with a description of the problem and maybe a link to this topic. See the appropriate support page for DKS or FoV.

Check with the publisher, as well (a support email address should be listed in the manual if you have a retail release), to see if this is a known issue with your version. Digital download distributors may have a forum or FAQ you could check.

TkVl Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I have Download/English version.

Yes, wmv files are played in WMP, but not in ActiveWindow Movie like in-game.

I tried install CCCP n K-Lite codec pack b4, but it's no use (btw, i'm using K-Lite now).I'm using latest ATI CCC n ATI Tray Tools, maybe that i tweaked around frown. Can u tell me what specific options in FFDshow or ATT/CCC that make video played in an overlay window like u said, i can try to enable or disable it.

Always have ESET running, should i disable it - but i don't think its doing any harm.

About manually setting the multic-core in the graphicoptions.xml file, i tried it but i keep revert the old value frown. And by deleting/rename the skill clips, they won't be played right?

Support
Support

I used to have FFDshow installed, but do not anymore. I know I've seen an option to play videos in overlay mode, but I don't recall if it was in FFDshow or something else. ATI stopped supporting my video card years ago, so I am not familiar with any remotely recent versions of the drivers or Tray tools.

You can try disabling ESET to test the game once, but this doesn't seem like the type of problem an anti-virus program would cause.

Yes, if you delete or rename the skill previews they will not be played at all.

TkVl Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
So after a couple of free-times i have, i managed to fixed this problem so i will post the solution here. The problem lies within codec as suspected, i suggest if any of other have the same problem with me do:

1st install K-Lite Codec Pack, uninstall other codec pack if asked.

2nd use codec tweak tool (go with K-Lite) to fix broken codec then go into Manage directshow filters and disable the codec MPC video decoder in "filters belong to other product", if that doesnt fix just disable the rest of codecs in that section.

Case closed. laugh

Support
Support

Glad you got it working, and a belated welcome to the forum. wave

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard